Friday, April 15, 2011

oh, hi!

Hmm, let's see. Since I last posted we had two more birthdays, four 12th grade final exams for the big guy, a spot of "am I going to make it through the 9th grade?" panic for the smaller guy and me feeling a little worse for wear throught the stress of it all. Not good for someone whose gut is already in a twist, I tell you. Lots of deep breathing going on.

What do YOU do when you feel stressed? I eat cake. No, actually I surf the net, but you can have some cake anyway if you like 'cause it's all I got today.

Mandarin cheesecake. Same procedure as every year for Mr. M's birthday.




This is a German recipe I took off the internet. Chocolate, hazelnuts and cinnamon were a nice combination.




Boy15 turned, well, 15 in March. He requested a N*intendo 3DS cake to go with the present he bought himself with his birthday and pocket money.

I tried my best.




He also asked me to try making a homemade Bienenstich  - sweet yeast dough filled with vanilla cream and topped with caramelized flaked almonds. There are lots of recipes out there if you want to give it a try. I looked at about five and sort of combined them all. Very tasty. You won't need to eat for a couple of days after a piece of this baby.


So, that will have to do you for another couple of weeks because it's Easter holidays and we are heading off to Denmark tomorrow. Internet connection is still an unknown but the odds are against it. I may have to read a book or walk on the beach or something.

I'll tell you all about it when we get back. I promise.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At April 16, 2011 1:55 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Well you're posting more than I am, dear! I'm happy to see that you're still baking all that yummy stuff. Enjoy Denmark!

 
At April 16, 2011 3:14 AM, Blogger Lilian said...

Good to see you, my dear. AWESOME cakes! You are such a wonderful dessert baker/maker! :)

 
At April 16, 2011 5:56 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh Yum, Yum oh Yum! Bienenstich was one of my absolute favorites when we lived in Germany -- and funny, I was just thinking of it the other day. My other fav was Mohnkuchen -- our kantine at work made a fabulous one -- it had a wonderful, sugary glaze on top. Do you think you could whip one of those up for us LOL?

 
At April 16, 2011 9:52 AM, Blogger ~meredith~ said...

I wish I could eat your blog.

 
At April 16, 2011 1:53 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Gosh, you're clever!

 
At April 16, 2011 1:58 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

I'm glad you surfaced! Just sit back and enjoy Denmark!

 
At April 16, 2011 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to 'see' you! I'm with meredith, I want to eat your blog! Yummy.
Happy Trails!
Lisa in Indy

 
At April 17, 2011 6:05 PM, Anonymous Aimee said...

holy crow does that bienenstich look amazing! will have to try that some day (like, probably the day after never if i had to venture a guess). your nintendo cake was great!

 
At April 18, 2011 10:50 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

You bake and cook and therefore you still are! Alive, I see, but still not well. I'm so sorry. Please take care of yourself and let Denmark work its healing powers. It's always good to see you, dear lady!

 
At April 29, 2011 8:24 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Well I guess I don't read blogs enough and am on FB too much! Now your cakes look incredible and yes I wish I could bake but I think I'd end up being the only one eating all of the cake!

Yummy for that cheesecake... I think I'll be daydreaming for a while and can't wait to see photos from the Denmark trip...

 
At May 06, 2011 4:36 PM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

You spoil those boys rotten, you do! ;-) How fantastic to have a mum who can bake all that stuff, on demand even. When they leave home you should set up a business! Yummy!!

 
At May 07, 2011 11:47 AM, Blogger Mar said...

So happy about your visit!! you sound busy as always, the cakes go perfectly with my new acquired pilates dvd :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.