Tuesday, December 07, 2010

jolly old st. nick

Yesterday was St. Nicholas Day in Germany. Nikolaustag, they call it here. You put your shined shoes or boots outside the door on December 5th and St. Nick fills them with all sorts of goodies.


We use stockings instead of shoes because you can fit in way more of the good stuff. The kids now have enough treats to last until January.





















Nick actually manage to squeeze this cutie into my stocking. I'd been coveting him for a while.





















(Mr. M got ten back issues of Volks World magazine. You don't really want to see those, do you?)



St. Nicholas Day is just as much about giving as it is about receiving, sooo...

Our neighbour and several other friends got their very own  fruitcake




















And the Thunderbird Diner is now open for business.





















Here's the old guy checking out his naughty and nice list


























And the dining room chairs getting in on the act.



Today, the day after Nikolaus, was not so jolly. Remember in my last post when I said I was done with being sick? I guess I'm not. Symptoms came back over the weekend and when I visited the doctor this morning at the university clinic, he ordered yet another colonoscopy and new, immunosuppresive drugs. Arghhhh!

Ho ho ho? Not so much. But at least I have chocolate! (and the world's softest sea turtle)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At December 08, 2010 3:40 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh Ms. Mausi -- I'm so sorry to hear that it's back -- hopefully they'll figure it out this time.

Your St. Nicholas celebration sounds so fun -- I think it's such a wonderful tradition!

 
At December 08, 2010 8:54 AM, Blogger headbang8 said...

Very sorry to hear your symptoms are back. Thank the universe for chocolate!

 
At December 08, 2010 2:08 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Your treats and decorations are wonderful. I love the turtle. I'm sorry you still aren't well. I really hope things improve for you soon. Hugs from across the world.

 
At December 08, 2010 9:56 PM, Anonymous Lisa said...

*HUGS* :-/

 
At December 09, 2010 12:11 AM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Sorry that you're not feeling well. It's a bad time of year to not be feeling tip top for all that great food!
Your fruit cake looks yummy! I didn't make any this year, but I was able to get a nice German Marzipan Stollen! Yay!

 
At December 09, 2010 9:14 AM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

You always do up the holidays great! I want to be your kid for a day!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well again.

(Oh, and if you've got time I'd love your thoughts on an Expat Thing post I wrote over the weekend)

 
At December 09, 2010 5:17 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

CHRISTINA! Enough already!

Our Sinterklaasdag is the 5th. I've wondered why our neighboring countries aren't more coordinated but I guess we all have to be different. I celebrated my one-year anniversary here in Holland that day. Can you believe it?!

Would you now please do us all a favor and GET WELL SOON...REALLY, not just for pretend.

 
At December 09, 2010 5:50 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

So sorry to hear that the Saint brought you immunosuppressive drugs along with the turtle and the chocolate! Damn that guy!

Hope you feel better again very soon! 2010 has been a rough year, hasn't it? Let's get it over with, shall we? Here's to a healthy, happy 2011!

Bxx

 
At December 12, 2010 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Christine,
I hope you feel better sooner rather than later.
I agree...to be your kid this time of year would be a wonderful thing!
Merry Christmas.
Lisa in Indy

 
At December 12, 2010 8:57 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I'm happy you are at least in the mood and have the Christmas spirit. I hope everything gets better. It's sort of like me and the 9 month long morning sickness I've got.. it feels like it's just never going to end!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.