Sunday, February 14, 2010

with glowing hearts

The 0pening Ceremony of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics moved me to tears. Tears of pride for my home country and hometown and also tears of sympathy for a family who lost a son during luge training on Friday. With that tragedy in the back of our minds we are still trying to enjoy the Olympic games as best we can.

During the ceremony I was pleased to see the involvment of some of British Columbia's aboriginal peoples, known as the First Nations. The Four Host First Nations , the Lil'wat, the Squamish the Musquem, and the
Tsleil-Waututh worked together with the Vancouver Organizing Committee (VANOC) to make the games a reality.

An inukshuk was chosen as the Olymic logo as a symbol of hospitality and friendship. The figure is based on the statue that has had its place at Vancouver's English Bay since 1987.

We have our own little inukshuk right here at home.



We're also enjoying the adorable Olymic and Paralympic mascots - Quatchi the sasquatch, Miga the sea bear and Sumi the animal spirit. And let's not forget Mukmuk the wee marmot who comes all the way from Vancouver Island. He's a sidekick, not a mascot, but I think he's my favourite.



If you're into arts and crafts, you can download these guys (except for Mukmuk, sadly) here. They are just so darn cute!

During the festivities and competitions you may have noticed an awful lot of people wearing chunky red mittens. And not just any red mittens, the official Olympic mittens with the Olymic rings on the back and a white maple leaf on the palm. And guess what? Thanks to some very thoughtful grandparents we have two pairs! They are soft and warm and such a nice souvenir of the games. Here they are pictured with a very fluffy Quatchi, a present to Boy13 from his grandmother when we visited Vancouver in 2008.




The (English) Olympic motto this time around is "With Glowing Hearts", part of 'Oh Canada', the Canadian national anthem. I think it's a wonderful choice and really symbolizes what the games are all about.

And speaking of hearts, let's not forget that it's Valentine's Day. Everyone around our house was spoiled with treats and we had this pretty pasta for dinner with a smoked salmon cream sauce. Yum.




Yes, my heart is glowing today. I hope yours is too.

17 Comments:

At February 15, 2010 2:05 AM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

 
At February 15, 2010 7:02 AM, Blogger JuelleAnn said...

And its Lunar New Year - Gung Hay Fat Choy!

 
At February 15, 2010 8:09 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

It made me cry too! I was fiercely proud when the beat poet described canada, as well as when the crowd recognized the team-mates of the luger with extra warmth as they entered the stadium. It also made me miss home!

 
At February 15, 2010 10:10 AM, Anonymous ian in hamburg said...

I thought the opening ceremonies were beautiful, their use of Canadians poets and songwriters a nice touch. It was great to be reminded what a great singer kd lang is, too. Only complaint I have is that 16-year-old's rendition of O Canada itself. Such a long, drawn-out, stylised, AWFUL interpretation of our national anthem made me cringe so much I started to fast-forward through it after the first couple of lines.
They should have had a kids' choir. Start with one kid singing the first line, a couple of others join in for the second, and by the third they all sing until the end. Recognise that? It used to be part of the sign-on every morning for Channel 8 Vancouver.

 
At February 15, 2010 7:35 PM, Blogger Silvia said...

I like the heart pasta! I wish something like that would be available here, too. Sometimes it makes me think why this country is so "einfallslos".

 
At February 15, 2010 11:06 PM, Blogger C N Heidelberg said...

I just love those mittens!

 
At February 16, 2010 12:37 AM, Blogger Tinsie said...

That pasta looks great! Did it keep its shape once cooked?

 
At February 16, 2010 11:03 PM, Blogger Rositta said...

I don't think I've ever seen heart shaped pasta before, cool. The opening ceremonies were great overall although I did have an issue with the way our Anthem was sung. Minor technical glitches aside though, I enjoyed them. I have three grandsons who are half Dene from the North West Territories and they have voiced on occasion their displeasure at the general population appropriating the Inukshuk as their own. I don't think everyone feels that way, it's just them. It was used in the far north to point the way to good hunting grounds and the meaning is "the people were here". I have one at the cottage but the boys built it so I figure it's okay. Yours is much prettier though...ciao

 
At February 17, 2010 7:18 PM, Blogger guild-rez said...

I agree with Ian in Hamburg..
- Cheers Gisela.
Toronto, Canada

 
At February 19, 2010 11:26 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

You have a right to be very proud of your home country, Christina. My eyes ahve been almost glued to the EuroSports channel all day long. I LOVE the Olympics. I think back to when I was in Vancouver in 2007 and remember how enthralled I was by the inukshuks. Yours rates as one of the best I've seen thus far!

 
At February 22, 2010 2:22 AM, Blogger Silvia said...

I heard that a lot of people are after those mittens, but are disappointed that they are made in China, not Canada where they should have been manufactured.

 
At February 22, 2010 4:03 AM, Blogger ARUNA said...

That pasta looks great!

 
At February 26, 2010 1:56 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Oh those are great photos. I wish my heart were in the same place. Maybe it will be back once I'm working again....

 
At February 28, 2010 2:32 PM, Blogger beaverboosh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 28, 2010 2:34 PM, Blogger beaverboosh said...

one more tonight for olympic gold glory, hope you're cheerin em on! x

 
At April 11, 2010 4:26 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

Hi! There is a new look over on my blog! Come take a peek and let me know what you think!

 
At July 14, 2010 2:36 PM, Blogger Voip said...

Verizon FiOS digital phone service is new but has already gotten great reviews for quality. Quality is very important when you're picking a VOIP Phone service because if the quality that the company provides isn't good you can end up missing a lot of calls or dealing with a lot of static and interference.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.