Tuesday, July 21, 2009

having too much fun to blog

How lazy am I? I can't believe it's been over two weeks since I spent a lovely day in Hannover with fellow bloggers Dixie and Claire. In addition, Claire's German and the adorable Little Dude, both perfect gentlemen, were there to to make it even more special. Unfortunately real life got in the way for several other bloggers planning to attend. We really missed you guys, but we'll definitely make up for it some time soon, huh?

Thunder showers were scheduled and I wondered if we'd end up switching coffee shops every two hours waiting for a sunny break. You know how unreliable those weather forecasts can be, though. Instead of dodging raindrops we ended up sweaty and sunburned. Boy was it hot!

As usual I was talking too much and didn't take many pictures but the ones I did take somehow managed to make Hannover look like a tropical paradise. I should have gone into marketing. I've also included a couple that Boy13 took with our camcorder from the top of the ferris wheel at the annual Schützenfest that ended last week.

Before lunch we headed off the the Maschpark close to the New City Hall. The park, with its water-lily filled lake and 10 hectares of shade trees is an ideal place to just stop and sit for a while and the city hall itself is quite impressive.


(this is how it looks from the ferris wheel)

Here's another view over the city. Hannover is said to be one of the greenest cities in Germany. I'm grateful for that. I need green to survive.




Lunch was at the Block House restaurant. Yeah, it's a chain, but we all agreed that the food was just fine. Best cheesburger I've had in ages and those steaks sure looked good. Family friendly too, which I find really important. Little Dude seemed to enjoy himself and kept us and our servers entertained the whole time.

After lunch we made our way down to the Maschsee, Hannover's man-made lake very close to the city centre. It's a peaceful location even if it's usually teaming with visitors. Even if you're just on your lunch hour, beer gardens, palm trees and sail boats (no motor boats allowed) make it feel feel like a vacation.






Late afternoon found us back at the train station having cool fairwell drinks and an ice cream or two, totally justified by all that walking we did.

Hey guys, I had a great time. we should do that more often!


Just for fun, a couple of gratuitous roller coaster pictures courtesy of Boy13. I leave the Schützenfest visits with the boys up to Mr. M these days. You won't catch me going on those scary, scary rides.





Other fun things I did in the past couple of weeks instead of blogging:

- Went to the animal shelter to look for a dog. No luck this time. Spot, we know you're out there somewhere. Give us a sign.

- Attended the Kleines Fest im Grossen Garten, a festival of performing artists at the Royal Herrenhausen Gardens in Hannover. Very entertaining and the weather held up for us.

- Hiked up a mountain and back down again. 16 km altogether. The weather was hideous. I was cranky. I may blog about it.

- Had even more blood drawn at the doctor's. Liver enzymes are now A-OK. No more doctor's visits for the time being. I am SO sick of sitting in that waiting room staring at the wallpaper.

- Celebrated father-in-law's 80th birthday. It was very pleasant. This has not always been the case in the past.

- Finally got going on redecorating the upstairs bathroom. Did I mention that green is my favourite colour?

- Made a ton of Mr. M's favourite tomato relish. Recipe to follow.

- Worked like a devil in the garden and finally got it looking half-decent. But only half. Evil bugs have eaten my lilies. They will pay for this.

Upcoming events:

- A visit to Hamburg

- Checking out the "First Nations of Canada" exhibition at the Landesmuseum Hannover

- A massive water fight on the lawn.

- Getting ALL the laundry done for a change.


That's all for now. The kids have two more school-free weeks and Mr. M will be off next week again so we'll most likely be busy, busy, busy trying to make the most of our time together.

How's YOUR summer been so far?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At July 21, 2009 2:58 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Sounds like a great summer.

 
At July 21, 2009 3:41 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

No kidding sounds great to me! The photos were great and I pre-read claire's report on their trip and it was ultra cute too! :)

 
At July 21, 2009 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This summer is bittersweet. We're packing up and moving to the states, so I'm liquidating and scrubbing everything.

The Visa/Green card was approved so that hurdle was overcome. Problem is, the economy and trying to find a job there. We're moving anyway. Jobless. The company has stopped offering transfers even though the four they've proposed never worked out in our favor.

I didn't want my 32 months in Germany to end like this.

I'll miss some things about Germany. One of them being...the greenery and having time to browse blogs of people that had lives like I used to have.

I'll keep in touch with your blog. It's been a nice way to get through the worst of it. I wish you great health and hope I can walk a 16 mile hike soon myself.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Lisa in Stuttgart

 
At July 21, 2009 5:43 PM, Blogger Snooker said...

You know what? I'm really sorry I was unable to come to the mini meet up. Another time.

And with a busy schedule like yours, I can completely understand a blogging hiatus. Sounds like fun!

 
At July 22, 2009 9:06 PM, Blogger hexe said...

Sounds like you have been busy having a good summer :) Enjoy!

 
At July 22, 2009 9:57 PM, Blogger J said...

Sounds like you've having a good time. I'm glad to hear that.

My summer? Awful and going downhill every day, so it seems.

 
At July 23, 2009 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christina!
I am enjoying your blog for quite some time. I am German, but live in the US - Texas. A Schuetzenfest where I grew up is surely different. That what you had we call Kirmes. I am from Ochtrup a small town near the border of the netherlands. I have been to Hannover once a was surprised how nice it is. Anne

 
At July 25, 2009 11:22 AM, Blogger beaverboosh said...

wow, who could have though Hamburg could be sooo much fun!

 
At July 27, 2009 12:18 PM, Blogger Pumpkin said...

Wow! You have been busy. It looks like you have had a great summer so far.

We have been taking it easy but have fun stuff planned for this weekend.

 
At August 06, 2009 5:10 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

OMG, Christina. This post sure did make me homesick. (sigh) I wonder when I'll be back again???? I sure would love to meet up with you again....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.