Tuesday, May 12, 2009

watch me do the happy dance

I know, I know, I owe y'all a whole bunch of interesting posts with pretty pictures. But before I get to that I need to tell you why I'm dancing.

I spent some time in the doctor's office today discussing the results of my colonoscopy and guess what? It's official, I DO have a form of colitis, but it is NOT (NOT!) ulcerative colitis, meaning that it's not a chronic condition and that I will most likely continue to improve (as I have been doing) until I am symptom free. Yay.

Not that you're really that interested, but the results of the endoscopic exam showed a slight inflammation of the entire colon (that's the large intestine) right down to the appendix, but nothing in the ileum, the end of the small intestine. That pretty much rules out Crohn's Disease which usually presents in a different pattern. While the histological report (that's the stuff they do under the microscope after taking tissue samples) also indicated an inflammation with yucky patches of this and that, various lymphocyte thingies and microcrypt doo dads, they feel that it isn't ulcerative colitis but rather something know as infectious colitis brought on by the 10-day course of antibiotics I took for a throat infection waaay back in mid-January before I went in for my hysterectomy. Who knew? I mean of course I know that antiobiotics can play havoc with your digestive system, killing the good bacteria along with the bad, but this thing appearing more than a month after I stopped taking the pills and giving me the German version of Montezuma's Revenge (minus the holiday!) for a whole ten weeks IS pretty weird. I have a feeling my entire system was weakened by the operation and just decided to take a little break without telling me. Losing those pesky tend pounds without even trying was great and I hope I can keep it off, but it wasn't really the right way to go about it now, was it?

I HAVE been feeling a whole lot better these past couple of weeks, though, and my doctor believes that this will indeed go away on its own with the help of probiotics to build up and maintain the intestinal flora. Just today I was reading that non-chronic colitis can take up to three months to heal (Thursday will be exactly three months since this thing reared its ugly head) and six months to really get back to normal. The only caveat they had for me was that sometimes, just sometimes, a first- time bout of ulcerative colitis can masquerade as a self-limiting colitis and that if my symptoms persist or reoccur, that I MUST go and get evaluated again.

I'll be on the lookout, but I really feel that I'm in the clear and ready to get on with it, already. Enough with the sick, I've got a life to live!

Labels:

19 Comments:

At May 12, 2009 8:43 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Glad to hear some good news. I know you aren't 100% yet, but it sounds like you are on the right path.
We have puppies!!!!

 
At May 12, 2009 11:05 PM, Blogger J said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend!

 
At May 12, 2009 11:42 PM, Anonymous cara said...

Wow, sounds pretty yucky all this intestinal stuff! Very happy for you and your family that you are through the worst of it and will be back to your chipper self in no time! ;)

 
At May 13, 2009 7:44 AM, Anonymous ian in hamburg said...

In light of your recent procedure, you absolutely must see this video:

http://azahar.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/scottish-colonoscopy/

:)

 
At May 13, 2009 12:50 PM, Blogger Windrose said...

Dear Christina,

So glad to read you now know the "enemy" and are on your way to recovery.

With the best Getting Well wishes I send you a bucket with a lovely salty ocean breeze from the other side of the big pond.

 
At May 13, 2009 1:05 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Very happy to hear that you're on the mend! it must be such a relief for you :)

 
At May 13, 2009 3:49 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Hey that sounds like great news and also news to us to make sure we have probiotics in our diets too..

I hope to get a few more photos up from our trip also as I've been going too non-stop lately and am so happy for Victoria day!

:)

IS it sunny and warmer yet?

 
At May 14, 2009 4:51 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Yay! A little signal to let us know you're getting better -- great news!

 
At May 14, 2009 6:36 AM, Anonymous Lisa said...

See? It was nothing. :) Good to hear! Re: sick and tired of being sick and tired - I heard that!

 
At May 14, 2009 9:10 AM, Anonymous honeypiehorse said...

Congratulations, what a relief! And enjoy the no diet weight loss.

 
At May 14, 2009 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear good news! Yah...happy dance.

Lurking Lisa in Stuttgart

 
At May 14, 2009 12:29 PM, Blogger christina said...

Maribeth - I'm feeling much better this week and I hope to beat this thing soon. And yes, puppies!!!:-)

J - Thanks, my friend.

cara - Yes, my family is really, really happy that I'm almost back to normal.

ianinhamburg - Ha ha! I love Billy Connolly and he described it exactly, didn't he, except that I had to drink three litres of "green apple" flavoured gak, one of them at 3 in the morning since my appt was at 7 a.m. SO much fun.

Windrose - Thank you so much! I can already feel those breezes. :-)

CanSwiss - I'm so happy that it didn't turn out to be something chronic because who needs that?

Expat - Yes, probiotics seem to be really important and I'm hoping they'll help me get better faster. The weather had been just beautiful lately - therefore not time to blog!

Thimbleanna - Thanks for checking in. I think things are going to be juuuuust fine.

Lisa - Well, not nothing, but Nothing Really Bad. Hopefull the rest of the year will see me complaint-free!

honeypiehorse - Thanks! It was really weird to have no appetite at all. Now that's it back I'm kind of scared...

Lurking Lisa - Thanks for always lurking. I owe you an e mail. Will write soon.

 
At May 14, 2009 12:46 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I'm glad you're feeling better!

 
At May 14, 2009 3:36 PM, Blogger Snooker said...

Ah! What a relief that must be! I can feel it in your words. Best hopes for a speedy recovery now that your demon has a name and even a cause.

 
At May 15, 2009 10:31 AM, Blogger Yelli said...

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better!! What a relief that much be!

However, we are still waiting for pics! (You have such a great eye for good pics....)

Welcome back!

 
At May 15, 2009 5:13 PM, Blogger beaverboosh said...

Hey girl, glad to hear you are feeling better, great attitude as well! Enjoy x.

 
At May 16, 2009 9:29 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

What fabulous news, Christina. I can feel the life starting to flow back into you. YAY!

 
At May 18, 2009 9:43 AM, Blogger Mar said...

Good to see you posting, wishing you the best. I like your positive attitude!

 
At August 01, 2009 10:36 PM, Blogger Lilian said...

oh dear... i'm catching up right now, having finally set up a feed reader type of blogroll.

I'm sorry you were so sick. I had a colonoscopy too, the difference is that I'd been sick before, but suspected IBS and the test confirmed that (there's nothing wrong with my colon, which is great, because my dad's family has a history of colon problems -- my paternal grandad died after his colon ruptured during a colonoscopy, back in 1978). anyway, I'm sure you're well now.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.