Wednesday, December 31, 2008

auld lang syne

Less than two hours to go until midnight. Yawn. I hope I make it.

Last year we had friends over, which was fun. This year we're celebrating en famille. Watching Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii (1973) has been the highlight so far.

We like to do a fondue on New Year's Eve. It's easy to put together and there's something for everyone. Several years ago we switched from using oil in the fondue pot to cooking various bits of meat and fish in broth. Works just as well and is much less fatty and messy. I always start with a well seasoned homemade vegetable broth featuring onions, leeks, carrots, celery root, parsley, thyme, a bay leaf and a peppercorn or two.



Of course the chocolate mousse we're having for dessert will cancel out all that vitamin-y goodness, but who cares, it's New Year's Eve, right?


As anyone living in Germany knows, Germany are crazy for fireworks and my big German and two smaller ones are no exception. I swear this is only a third of the booty and they're just itching to set everything off come 12 a.m.




I'm a bit worried about them ripping into this package of scary looking firecrackers. If you wake up tomorrow in an alternate universe, you'll know who to blame.




I stay inside during all the mayhem, happy with quieter things like wimpy party crackers (which for some reason appear here at New Year's instead of at Christmas) and Bleigießen - a form of fortune telling where little lead figures are melted in a spoon over a candle and then plunged into cold water to see what symbols come up.



And oh, just as an aside - no matter what I do, I WILL NOT watch Dinner for One this year, and you can't make me. No you can't.

There'll be a "my 2008 in a nutshell" coming up tomorrow but for now I'll wish you all a

Happy New Year and all the best for 2009!




Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

At January 01, 2009 1:12 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Happy New Year to you! I'm sure the boys had a lot of fun... Doesn't it go.. boys will be boys! hehe

 
At January 01, 2009 1:28 AM, Blogger hexe said...

Happy New Year Mausi! Hope the boys are done playing with their toys and you are enjoying the quiet!

 
At January 01, 2009 3:08 AM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Happy New Years, Mausi! I look forward to hearing more from you in 2009!

 
At January 01, 2009 9:31 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Happy New Year Christina! May 2009 bring you good health, love and happiness

 
At January 01, 2009 9:59 AM, Blogger Blogging Mama said...

Happy New Year! That's a LOTTA fireworks :)

 
At January 01, 2009 1:44 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Happy New Year to you! Wishing you all the best and looking forward to catching up :)

 
At January 01, 2009 2:08 PM, OpenID annonamoose said...

wow - that broth to be looks great! happy new year.

 
At January 01, 2009 3:32 PM, Anonymous In Actual Fact said...

And a wonderful 2009 to all of you "over there/up there/I'm not giving my location away"!
Hope it's healthy and prosperous and that there's time for baking - as the old saying goes.

 
At January 01, 2009 9:34 PM, Blogger Silvia said...

Happy new year to you all!
I wish we would have had some firworks here in the US! We called home and listened to church bells ringing and firworks! Awesome! Here it is "tote Hose".:)

 
At January 01, 2009 11:52 PM, Blogger essie said...

Welcome 2009 to the haus of maus-i!
:)
we "fondued" in heidelberg, and, i would love your veggie broth recipe!(please, and, thank you)

it was the first time i tried my hand at the meat, and opted for a simple beef broth, which was okay...however, that snap of yummy vegetables got me thinking!

:)

 
At January 02, 2009 12:21 AM, Blogger Julia said...

Happy New Year! And I'd love the broth fondue recipe too, it looks like a tasty alternative to cheese.

 
At January 02, 2009 5:09 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Well, since I woke up in the same place this morning, I'm assuming everything went well with your men and their firecrackers! Your fondue sounds delicious -- Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to your year in review!

 
At January 04, 2009 9:47 AM, Blogger Mar said...

Happy New Year!! wishing you all the best for the year ahead.
I married the only German who doesn't enjoy the fireworks!

 
At January 05, 2009 12:29 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

Happy New Year. So it's not the same procedure as last year?

Our friends insisted on dragging us around their street to look at the fireworks. Aside from a few near rocket hits, the worst we managed to see was a small child (2 years perhaps) being allowed to toss a firework and nearly blowing off his hands. Odd how otherwise safety-conscious Germans suspend common sense for New Years and the Autobahns, no?

 
At January 05, 2009 12:44 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Leave it to you, Christina, to make my mouth water. I'm such a glutton for GOOD BROTH! :) Since we didn't yet get your "next day" post on 2008, I sure hope that doesn't mean you DID get blown up by firecrackers! :(

 
At January 05, 2009 7:55 PM, Blogger Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

Happy New Year! I'm glad my guy is still too little for the fireworks!

 
At January 07, 2009 3:49 AM, Blogger G.C. PHILO said...

What? No tacky 2009 glasses with the "00" as the eyes?
It's good to see you're still doing fine in Germany. Have a happy and safe 2009 and wish you all the best!

 
At January 07, 2009 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anna said...

Happy New Year to you! What is it with boys and fire works??? I love New Years Day, we always make a pork roast with brown saurkraut. Yummy!

 
At January 08, 2009 12:02 AM, Blogger kath said...

I love that the package says "Party Party" at the top. LOL

I've always wondered why shooting off fireworks isn't a big tradition here in the U.S. for New Year's Eve. Of course where I live, I'm pretty sure it's just that they would freeze solid before they got off the ground.

 
At January 09, 2009 8:42 PM, Blogger beaverboosh said...

Happy 2009 babs! P.S. Your fireworks are from wimpland compared to planet Norge!

 
At January 11, 2009 8:35 PM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

A Happy New Year to you and your family! I hope nobody was injured amidst all the pyrotechnics!

 
At January 14, 2009 5:32 AM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

Happy New Year C ...

 
At January 19, 2009 3:20 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

I'm having a poll over on www.dackelprincess.com
Please come and vote! I need your opinion on this!!!
Maribeth

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.