Tuesday, November 11, 2008

the past and the present

In the little corner of the universe I take up space in, they're celebrating St. Martin's Day and the start of the Carneval season. Click on the links to take you back to my 2005 posts on both of these.

We didn't have any children knocking on the door for candy this year, as is the custom in our area, but just for fun I made some Weckmänner, yeasty little men symbolizing St. Martin. I'm sure St. Martin never looked like that, but these guys tend to develop distinct personalities in the oven.




Besides the celebrations, these past few days have been very full in a historical sense. Where I come from, today is Remembrance Day or Poppy Day, also known as Veteran's Day or Armistice Day in other parts of the world. Lots of commemorations going on.

Germany certainly has its share of remembering to do as well. November 9 is a key date and is sometimes called the Schicksalstag, literally the day of fate, the two most recent events being the fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989 and the Kristallnacht, a terrible event in Germany's history that took place on November 9, 1938.

Coincidentally, my maternal grandmother's birthday was also on November 9 so I did a little personal remembering and reflecting of my own on Sunday. Nonna passed away in 1983 and I miss her every day.

I wonder what she would have thought of the world we live in now?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 11:54 PM, Blogger G in Berlin said...

It's good to see that people remember.

 
At November 12, 2008 3:44 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Oh yes I knew you would post! I can't believe how fast the months are going by!

I visit North Van this weekend!

 
At November 12, 2008 1:03 PM, Blogger Claire said...

St. Martin's Day is big here. They have a "Gansemarkt." However, when I asked my husband what it was all about all he could say was, "Yeah, you walk around with a lantern, sing songs and get candy." LOL! Sounds like our little one will learn all about the German holidays.

 
At November 12, 2008 9:27 PM, Blogger Mike B said...

So happy St. Martins Tag. BTW, Nice photo; cute pastries, and interesting colours.

 
At November 14, 2008 11:08 PM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Those little men look like they would be delicious pastries.

 
At November 20, 2008 2:33 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Remembrance is one of the soulful things that makes us human, Christina. But then, animals obviously remember, too. Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking. Lots of things to remember these days and for which to be thankful...now as our holiday approaches (next Thursday). Thanks for the reminder.

 
At November 21, 2008 8:53 AM, Blogger Sher said...

Just happened to come across your blog! Love those St. Martins pastries--so cute! Have a great day!

 
At November 21, 2008 8:56 PM, Blogger Bengbeng said...

This post sounds so foreign to me. It is all so new to me although u probably take it for granted as a part of yr normal yearly routine. Thanks for sharing.

 
At December 04, 2008 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anna said...

Love St Martin's Day pastries. The little men look so delicious. Could you post your recipe for them?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.