Monday, November 03, 2008

as far as I'm concerned, it's still Halloween

At our house it ain't over until the pumpkin starts growing mold.

I'm about to grow mold or moss or something any minute myself. Yes, I do shower daily, but I've been so slooooow lately that some might take me for an inanimate object. I walk slowly, I think slowly and I get things done so very slowly that Casa Messy del Norte is really in dire straights at the moment. I blame it on The Malaise. You guys know all about that.

Anyway, back to Halloween. We had a couple of friends over on Friday night to join in the festivities.

We gave Boy12 free reign with the table decorations. He was only halfway through at the time I took the picture. Didn't he do a scary job?


Nothing like random body parts to whet the appetite.

The swamp soup and roasted bat wings went over well, as did the Halloweenie mummies...


Curses! We're done for!


...and the skeleton cookies for dessert


If only I had paid more attention in anatomy class!


You can't have Halloween without a pumpkin. When I first moved here they were pretty hard to find. Now you can get them all over the place in every shape and size.

We had two this year. The one on the left is the real McCoy. The right one is a wooden jack-o-lantern I found at a craft store for €1.99 and painted myself. Year-round Halloween fun!




Along with the pumpkins come the pumpkin seeds - almost the best part, I'd say. I varied with tradition and tried out a new recipe. These Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds, flavoured with sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cumin and a pinch of cayenne pepper are a really interesting variation on the regular roasted and salted seeds. Definitely worth a try.





And last but not least, my little tribute to fall. Is there anything cuter than an ornamental gourd? Mr. M brought me these beauties last week. The three wee ones outside of the basket are ceramic but also look quite real. I love them - I can't help it!




Well, it's the beginning of another week. My to-do list is a mile long. Now that I have (finally!) blogged, I can get down to business and start getting something done. Maybe.



Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to. ~Author Unknown





Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At November 03, 2008 12:46 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

We didn't have even one trick or treater. I think it's due to our 500 foot driveway that is completely dark.
My house is Casa Messy too. I blame it on 4 dogs and a Husband!

 
At November 03, 2008 1:56 PM, Blogger Jul said...

Those mummies are adorable!

And I think I need to go out and get a pumpkin just so I can eat the seeds. Soooo yummy.

 
At November 03, 2008 4:02 PM, Blogger J said...

I agree with Jul on the mummies. Where do you come up with ideas like that?

 
At November 03, 2008 4:34 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Love the Mummies! Those look cute and yummy!

 
At November 03, 2008 8:57 PM, Blogger Mike B said...

Mummies are both scary and adorable ... scary because they look like little people in sleeping bags.

 
At November 04, 2008 3:51 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

ok - can i say how cute and how wonderful.. I really want to have a cook like you at my house!!! Your boys are so lucky, they don't know how well they have it!!!

Now your skeltons and mummies take the cake!!! So much celebration chez mausi!

 
At November 04, 2008 7:00 AM, Blogger Pumpkin said...

Everything looks so wonderful! You have inspired me for next year.

Those mummies too funny. Very clever idea.

I agree that your boys are lucky to have you as a mom.

 
At November 04, 2008 2:35 PM, Blogger poppy fields said...

Happy Halloween, a little late! I love the mummies too.

 
At November 04, 2008 5:43 PM, Blogger Trac said...

Love those skeleton cookies!

Wish I had read that post before chucking out my pumpkin seeds, but by the time I had scraped out the pumkin, I was too grumpy to do anything with them.

I did make soup tho'

***

I've never been so insulted by WV in my life!!!? PIG U R

Hmmmph! :O)

 
At November 05, 2008 6:57 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Your cookies look great (as do the rest of the scary and not so scary treats) and I loved the idea of the vampire teeth as card holder :)

 
At November 07, 2008 3:07 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

You are the Queen of Seasons/Holidays, Ms. Christina. I declare. I was laughing so loud at the mummies, Donica had to come over to take a look. I just love your creativity!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.