Monday, July 28, 2008

my tan is coming along just fine, thank you

Can you believe it has only rained for about an hour and a half in the 17 days we've been here? Most unusual and a true delight since it hasn't been boiling hot either. Despite SPF 30 my cheesy whiteness is slowly turning into a slightly more appetizing light golden brown and I've got the tan lines to prove it.

It's not as if we've been so busy that we don't know which way is up, but I've still had no time, and frankly, not much desire, to blog. The first couple of days I had to work my way through two years of back issues of Martha Stewart Living. That done, my mother presented me with a stack of must-read books and magazines which I was eager to get into. Then tragedy struck - I took a nice slice out of thumb while making dinner one night, seriously compromising my page turning ability. I'm a fast healer and all is well now, though.

We've been meeting lots of friends and families for various lunches and dinners and catching up on all the news, both good and bad. Friends my age are getting on with their lives, some dealing with ageing, ailing parents as I am (but I must say that my own parents are doing extremely well) and older friends, my 92-year-old godfather among them, are wondering what's next for them and how much time they have left, insisting that two years is far too much time between visits. 'Cause you just never know what's going to happen. I agree.

Tomorrow we head south across the Canada/U.S. border to spend a few days exploring Washington State and Oregon. Except for one 'for sure' visit with some friends, there's no real plan - we're doing this road trip style and will end up where we end up. Hilarity may ensue.

We'll be pretty much off line while we're gone, so I won't be able to respond to comments or e mail for about a week. Here are a few pictures to tide you over.


The beach, about a 10 minute walk from my parents house







My mother's beautiful garden






Horseshoe Bay, where B.C. Ferries set sail on an hourly basis to Bowen Island, Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast





Last week's trip to Bowen Island, a 20-minute ferry ride from Horsheshoe Bay












Labels: , , ,

24 Comments:

At July 28, 2008 2:34 p.m., Blogger traveler one said...

Wow-- beautiful photos, especially your mom's garden!

(But where are the shots of your tan lines???)

 
At July 28, 2008 3:47 p.m., Blogger Maribeth said...

I am so glad you are having such a good time. I agree with Traveler, we need to see that tan!

 
At July 28, 2008 5:42 p.m., Blogger Rositta said...

So glad you are getting good weather without rain. We on the other hand have had record breaking rain. There hasn't been one day in the last 4 weeks that we haven't had a downpour. Beautiful photos, enjoy your holiday...ciao

 
At July 28, 2008 7:00 p.m., Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Darn! T1 beat me to it (the tan lines, that is.) When I grow up, I wanna see the Vancouver area, too.... Including your Mom's garden ;)

 
At July 28, 2008 9:46 p.m., Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Yay -- she checks in! So glad to see you're having a good time. Beautiful pics -- and your mom's garden? Wow!

 
At July 29, 2008 5:31 p.m., Blogger hexe said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Enjoy the good weather and the road trip!

 
At July 31, 2008 11:16 a.m., Blogger Milk Jam said...

oh! those pictures make me so homesick!! i can see Vancouver island from my hometown of port townsend WA and the whole region is just magnificent. enjoy your time at home and show us the tan lines!

 
At August 01, 2008 10:59 p.m., Blogger Trac said...

Wow! Beautiful.

I want to live there.
Will your Mum adopt me?
:O)
x

 
At August 02, 2008 2:28 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I know you are in heaven these days, Christina, so just enjoy it and don't think about blogging! I am so happy for you. But PLEASE watch out for yourself with those knives!!! Man! You scared me!

 
At August 04, 2008 1:38 a.m., Anonymous aimee said...

wow - how long has your mother been working on her gorgeous garden? would she rent a small corner???

 
At August 04, 2008 3:50 p.m., Blogger Diane Mandy said...

With scenery like that, I wouldn't feel like blogging either! Enjoy!

 
At August 04, 2008 6:28 p.m., Blogger Claire said...

(While gripping the side of my desk with white knuckles) Seriously, I am happy for you and not at all jealous. Enjoy :-)

 
At August 05, 2008 1:16 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

Glad to hear that you're having a good visit. Looking forward to pictures from the road trip.

 
At August 05, 2008 9:47 p.m., Blogger amy said...

Great to hear you are having such a lovely time - and you are so close to my Portland! I wonder if you will come through here? Walking around the river is always a nice thing to do... there's the OMSI close by the river (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) which could be interesting to see. There's a lot of good beer here, too - don't recall if that's your thing? I know I rarely post anything, and am pretty much a stranger, but I think I must be missing out on an opportunity to meet a fabulous lady. Maybe next year, eh? May you continue to have a fab trip!

 
At August 07, 2008 12:41 a.m., Anonymous Kate Sloan said...

Well, I have been an avid reader of your blog for a long time now but have never commented but being a resident of Vancouver and wishing I was a resident of Germany I am happy to see how beautiful my home town looks on your blog. Thank you for reminding me how good us Vancouverites have it and I'm glad the weather is being good for you.

 
At August 07, 2008 1:20 p.m., Blogger Berlinbound said...

Just beautiful ... We're on this side of the pond for two more weeks then back to brotchenland!

 
At August 07, 2008 10:26 p.m., Blogger amy said...

And I mean "Lady" is the good way, not the "hey, Lady!" kind of way. This concludes my obsessive worry of the day.

 
At August 12, 2008 5:04 a.m., Blogger Expat Traveler said...

How beautiful! I wanted to take Pflight to Bowen, but we have done Victoria instead, I think that will do..

But yes, lots of sun and a tan for me too lately, so unusual..

 
At August 13, 2008 12:14 p.m., Blogger Sparky said...

OMG, these photos are BEAUTIFUL.

RE the roadtrip: Why don't you go a little further south and hit San Francisco? The city is gorgeous, the cuisine delicious (hit Jen and me up for tips) and the kids will enjoy the Exploratorium.

 
At August 15, 2008 4:29 p.m., Blogger Angie said...

Gosh, your vacation photos look like postcards! Beautiful!

 
At August 18, 2008 2:39 p.m., Blogger Claire said...

School starts on Thursday. Are you guys back yet?

 
At August 22, 2008 11:57 p.m., Anonymous RennyBA said...

Sorry I'm late! What a great tip - what a lovely place - what a great vacation - thanks for sharing!

 
At August 25, 2008 2:23 p.m., Blogger R. Duckie said...

It's pretty, I'm homesick! I will look forward for more photos in the future. No hurry :)

 
At October 06, 2008 6:21 a.m., Blogger Speedcat Hollydale said...

Some really fantastic photos here ... like somthing from a photographic magazine.

Very nice!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.