Thursday, June 05, 2008

make up yer mind, will ya?

Over at J's the votes are pouring in for the location of the 2008 Whiney Expat Blogger Meet-Up. Six cities were nominated and now, in the second round, it's time to choose the one you'd like to have a fabulous time in. The only rule is that you shouldn't vote for the city you live in - I'm not really sure why this is, maybe J can tell us.

Here they are in alphabetical order...

Berlin
Bremen
Frankfurt
Hamburg
Nuremberg
Wiesbaden

...and here according to how many votes each has gotten so far and who voted for which city

Wiesbaden – 6 (Rositta, G in Berlin, Belinda, Martina, Erin, AmiO)

Bremen – 5 ***(Claire, Mausi, CN Heidelberg, Scott, Jul)

Berlin – 3 (Ian, Dixie, Headbang8)

Nuremburg – 3 (Adam, J, ChristinaG)

Frankfurt – 1 (Andrea)

Hamburg - 1 (Nate)

Now this can change at any time and I might update it a bit before my next post. You'll notice that Wiesbaden(!?) has taken the lead at the moment. Completely unexplainable, but, hey, if enough bloggers want Wiesbaden, then Wiesbaden it shall be. For the time being my humble vote still goes to Bremen. Let someone else sit on a train for 4 hours this year, I say. But you know I'm gonna be there whatever location we choose.

If you want to have your say and not have some random whiney bloggers make up your mind for you, go put in your vote before J makes the final decree.

After the location is announced, it will be time to work on a specific date. September and October are looking good since the weather tends to be a little iffy in November and it gets dark early leaving less time for sightseeing.

Once again to refresh your memories:



(See? Wiesbaden isn't even on there!)

P.S. If you feel like it, post a link to J's on your own blog so we can get as many bloggers as possible to attend.

***UPDATE: Three more votes at J's blog now put Bremen in the lead! It's not over yet, folks.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At June 05, 2008 1:17 PM, Blogger G in Berlin said...

Well, I would much rather have Berlin, but I wasn't allowed to vote for it second round because it was my first choice- I thought that was the rule. I took Wiesbaden because it seems to be in the grape region and in September we might be able to catch some harvest.
But I would much rather Berlin...

 
At June 05, 2008 1:24 PM, Blogger christina said...

G - I don't really get the rules either, especially since it's nice to actually have someone who lives in the city be a tour guide. I'd go for Berlin as my second choice. Maybe we can bribe J with cookies or something. :-)

 
At June 05, 2008 5:53 PM, Blogger PapaScott said...

Can't we stuff the ballot box, or encourage our dead relatives to vote? This should be like a Chicago election, vote early, vote often! :-)

 
At June 05, 2008 6:31 PM, Anonymous ian in hamburg said...

Do they go baden in Wiesbaden? ;-)


I also notice it's not on the map. Is that a good sign?

 
At June 05, 2008 9:18 PM, Anonymous Christina G said...

Where the heck is Wiesbaden anyways? Guess I'll be paying a visit to Google maps next. Better get over to J's and vote too!

Any chance you'll be paying a visit to Regensburg?

 
At June 05, 2008 9:38 PM, Blogger christina said...

PapaScott - Hmm, yeah, there must be a way. I'll have to think about this...

Ian - Yup, just like they wupper in Wuppertal. :-)

ChristinaG - I'm not really sure - a bit north of Frankfurt, I think. Not direct from anywhere, really, which is a consideration for some people. We'll see.

 
At June 05, 2008 11:51 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

IF I were able to go, Christina, my choice would be Bremen, too! BUT I've never been to Wiesbaden, so that might be why I'd want to go there. I've been to all the other places. I still hope I'll be able to attend but don't have Donica's travel schedule for that far ahead. I'll stay in touch!

 
At June 06, 2008 12:42 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

Wiesbaden? I'm still trying to figure out how that got to be a choice.

I picked Berlin because even if I can't do anything else I can leave B long enough for me to go for the day. But I'd way rather go to Hamburg or Bremen over Wiesbaden.

BTW - Wiesbaden is just over the river from Mainz if that helps any.

 
At June 06, 2008 2:49 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

Oh yes please Wiesbaden...it is a pretty city. I will probably be there for a week sometime in September. By the way, it's 30 minutes from Frankfurt and the Wilhemstrasse shops are to die for...ciao

 
At June 06, 2008 3:55 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

very interesting! I think I should just quit my job and go! I wouldn't care as long as I was in Europe.

 
At June 06, 2008 3:28 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

First off, I'll have to see if we can make it at that time. OX and I will be in the middle of budget planning (September-November) and he'll be at an exhibition for a week (+ a W-End) in Düdo in October. Can we vote for more than one place? If so, our choices would be... Berlin, Frankfurt, Nuremberg or Wiesbaden.

We'll stay in touch, though.

 
At June 07, 2008 1:23 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

It seems like I'm destined to never be able to go any of this kind of meeting. Well, I'm doing my Diplom anyway...so that's valid. :-p

Actually, I didn't really realise that it's on again.

Oh well.

 
At June 08, 2008 11:08 PM, Blogger christina said...

ginnie - Bremen is looking good right now! Wouldn't it be fun if you can attend. Let's do some postive thinking on this...

Dixie - Yeah, I know it's difficult for you to leave B for too long. If it does turn out to be Bremen, it's a 3 hr trip so that might be doable. And I promise I WILL come to visit y'all in Magdeburg some time. Really. :-)

rositta - I would be so great to meet you. Hope you can make it.

Expat - Yes! Just chuck it all and become a backpacking hippie!

CanSwiss - I think you can only vote for one place but it would be SO nice to finally meet you guys. Hopefully things will work out.

elemm - Aww, sounds like you're always so busy. Maybe some time it'll be in a location near you.

 
At June 09, 2008 11:21 AM, Blogger Belinda said...

The main reason I chose Wiesbaden is because I can actually afford to get there and stay there. If it's too far away I'd have to pay too much for the train/hotel stay. Oh well.

 
At June 09, 2008 2:41 PM, Blogger J said...

mmmm, cookies.

We started the 'not voting for your own city' a few years ago. It's mainly because most people usually vote for their own city/town and this way it gives other cities and towns a chance - otherwise we'd probably be going to Berlin every year due to the size of the population. We probably would never have been to Marburg or Bonn.

Bremen: 9
Wiesbaden: 7
Others: a lot less.

 
At June 09, 2008 3:54 PM, Blogger Rositta said...

Looks like Bremen might win, too bad for me. I chose Wiesbaden because coming from Canada that's were I'll be for a week in the fall. Too bad, maybe another time...ciao

 
At June 14, 2008 2:23 PM, Blogger J said...

Bremen has won!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.