Monday, June 16, 2008

I did and I still do

Him: Well, I guess it's that day again, isn't it? Geez, when I met you all those years ago I was just out to have a good time. I never thought I'd end up married to you for 18 years!

Me: You're a true romantic, as always. Now where are my flowers??

Mr. M took the day off today and we spent it puttering around the house getting things done. Later on we'll be going out for a nice dinner followed by the Germany vs. Austria Euro 2008 soccer game. We're not really soccer fans but we'll be keeping an eye on it just to see who wins this important match - the Piefkes, as the Austrians like to call the Germans, or the Ösis, the Germans' pet name for the Austrians.


I haven't done a meme in a long time so here you go - The Wedding Meme

1. Where / how did you meet?
In Vancouver on a blind date set up by his aunt.

2. How long have you known each other?
Since July 1986.

3. How long after you met did you start dating?
Five minutes.

4. How long did you date before you were engaged?
Three years. You know, long distance relationship.

5. How long was your engagement?
Ten months.

6. How long have you been married?
18 years!

7. When is your anniversary?
That would be today, June 16th. I never set out to be a June bride, it just kind of happened.

8. How many people came to your wedding reception?
About seventy-five. Six on his side, the rest on mine.

9. What kind of cake did you serve?
White cake, three tiers, ivory buttercream frosting decorated with fresh tea roses.

10. Where was your wedding?
St. Francis-In-the-Wood Church in West Vancouver. The reception was at a golf and country club.

11. What did you serve for the meal?
Canapés, champagne, petit-fours, coffee and tea. It was an afternoon reception.

12. How many people were in your bridal party?
My matron of honour, his best man and two flower girls.

13. Are you still friends with them all?
Only with the first two.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?
No, but I did, and so did our cousin Charlie from Florida.

15. Most special moment of your wedding day?
When both of my parents walked me down the aisle.

16. Any funny moments?
I think someone may have fallen down, but I can't remember.

17. Any big disasters?
The best man stepped on the back of my dress and almost ripped it.

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
Guernsey in the Channel Islands.

19. How long were you gone?
Two weeks.

20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change?
Not a thing.

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
The left.

22. What size is your bed?
King.

23. Greatest strength as a couple?
Not killing each other when the going gets rough.

24. Greatest challenge as a couple?
Bridging cultural differences.

25. Who literally pays the bills?
He brings home the bacon, I cook it.

26. What is your song?
We have a (cheesy) movie instead of a song - Ferris Beuller's Day Off

27. What did you dance your first dance to?
I have no idea. We're not big dancers.

28. Describe your wedding dress.
Floor-length, off-white satin, puffed short sleeves, sweetheart neckline.

29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?
Ranunculas, sweet pea, stephanotis, alstroemeria, gerbera daisies, peonies, roses

30. Are your wedding bands engraved?
Um, no. We keep meaning to get around to that...


Oh look, here are my flowers.


He may drive me crazy, but he gets those right every time.

Happy 18th Anniversary, Schnucki.

Labels:

24 Comments:

At June 16, 2008 5:46 PM, Blogger C N Heidelberg said...

Happy Anniversary!!

 
At June 16, 2008 6:21 PM, Blogger Silvia said...

How sweet, happy anniversary!

 
At June 16, 2008 7:13 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Oh what a wonderful post! Happy Anniversary, Mausi! I hope you and your Hubby have many, many more!
I'd love to see a picture of you in your gown. Any chance?

 
At June 16, 2008 7:16 PM, Blogger Regina said...

Happy Anniversary!!

The flowers are beautiful, lucky you!

I hope the game tonight will be worth spending your anniversary in front of the TV!

 
At June 16, 2008 7:23 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Happy anniversary to my anniversary twin! LOL about meaning to get around to engraving the bands. I've been meaning to get around to changing my name on my social security card for 18 years now.

 
At June 16, 2008 7:30 PM, Blogger J said...

Happy anni!

 
At June 16, 2008 8:01 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Aniversary!

 
At June 16, 2008 8:25 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Happy anniversary to you both!

Amazingly, I met Mr Mac on the very day you got married!

 
At June 16, 2008 10:12 PM, Anonymous ian in hamburg said...

Schucki! :-)
Love it.

 
At June 16, 2008 11:22 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Happy Anniversary!

Did you buy porcelain gifts for each other?

We will be celebrating our 21st anniversary later this year. I just found out that I will need to buy Mrs. TBF a gift made of either brass or nickel. Perhaps I will take her to see The Big Nickel in Sudbury!

 
At June 17, 2008 12:17 AM, Anonymous Gardner said...

Congrats and thanks for sharing. As always a pleasure to receive an update.

 
At June 17, 2008 5:34 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

how wonderful, happy anniversary. Today is my uncle's birthday - he turned the big 65...

 
At June 17, 2008 6:40 AM, Blogger illahee said...

beautiful flowers!!

happy anniversary!

 
At June 17, 2008 6:59 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Happy anniversary to you both!! :)

 
At June 17, 2008 1:09 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

I really enjoyed reading your meme! Happy anniversary!

 
At June 17, 2008 6:10 PM, Blogger hexe said...

Happy Anniversary! Gorgeous flowers!

 
At June 17, 2008 8:59 PM, Blogger Rositta said...

Happy belated Anniversary, lucky you I don't get nice flowers like that. Hope you had a great day...ciao

 
At June 18, 2008 1:21 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

OHHHHH, Happy Anniversary, Christina and Mr. M. You won't see this in time but it's still the 16th here in Atlanta! I just LOVE that both your parents walked you down the aisle. That makes so much sense!!!

 
At June 18, 2008 3:22 PM, Blogger Bek said...

Happy Anniversary!

 
At June 18, 2008 6:34 PM, Blogger Mar said...

Happy anniversary!! gorgeous flowers!!
:)

 
At June 19, 2008 3:25 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! What a fun thing to do this meme on an anniversary -- I'll have to remember it!

 
At June 25, 2008 2:25 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Those are beautiful flowers! And it was fun reading this post. Happy anniversary!

 
At June 25, 2008 2:43 PM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks so much, guys! (I'm just replying the comments with questions and such)

maribeth - If you click on the June 2005 archives there are a couple of pictures in the June 16 post.

Regina - Thanks! We got home from the restaurant just in time to watch!

Bonnie - I wonder how many other couples have the same anniversary?? I actually LOST my social security (well, it's called social insurance in Canada) card years ago and haven't got around to applying for a new one.

ms mac - Ooh, I thought I felt a disturbance in the force on that day!

ian - We have a friend who calls her husband Schnäuzelbärtelchen! Scary.

Big Finn - Nope, we don't really do anniversary presents but we'll probably buy something nice in Vancouver to bring back with us. Brass and nickel huh? That should be interesting.

rositta - Probably because flowers cost about 5 times as much in Canada. It always blows us away when we're there and want to buy some for my mum.

ginnie - Thank you! It made sense to me too - just could't choose between them. :-)

thimbleanna - thanks! I saw that meme somewhere months ago and archived it in my drafts for safe keeping.

 
At June 26, 2008 8:38 PM, Blogger American in France said...

I REALLY Hope I make it!! So Happy to hear such a love story.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.