Monday, March 17, 2008

a pat on the back for the birthday boy

It's been almost a week since my littlest monkey celebrated his 12th birthday. We are still recovering. No, not really, but bits of family stuff here and there prevented me from blogging about it right away.

So what does it mean to be 12? Well, I guess it means that you are no stranger to rude noises at inappropriate times. When our pre-teen was just a wee baby I used to nurse him and then put him over my shoulder and gently rub his back, waiting for the tiny burp that signaled the end of our feeding session.

And now that he's a big guy, almost a teenager? He can burp the alphabet on command. Nice, really nice.

We had a family party last Tuesday, Boy12's real birthday, and a kids' party on Wednesday involving the usual: cake, a pinata, a DVD. Chips, pizza, a whoopie cushion, copious amounts of soft drinks and the inevitable burping contest that results from drinking copious amounts of said soft drinks. What IS it with boys and burping anyway? Boy12 commented after the party, "Wow, I thought it was going to be lame, but it turned out great! Did you hear me burping?"

The cake this year was an interesting challenge - according to the BirthdayMeister it had to look like a pizza. So I set to work and with Boy12's help and vision I think we did a pretty good job.



pizza dough - sponge cake baked in a pizza pan
tomato sauce - strawberry preserves
cheese - grated white chocolate
salami - iced cookies
olives and peppers - gumdrops

And it even tasted good!

So that's that, no more family birthdays until the end of April. Pheww.

We're right in the middle of Easter holidays at the moment so blogging may be even more sporadic than usual.

P.S. I've got a little bit of Irish blood in me somewhere so I'll wish you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

At March 17, 2008 2:38 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I am impressed with the pizza cake! I will have to copy it.

Happy birthday to your youngest. He has a gorgeous smile.

 
At March 17, 2008 3:15 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

That is so cool! Love it. Wow you sure are clever.

 
At March 17, 2008 4:48 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

You are so clever! That is just the best!
Happy St. Pat's Day to you too!

 
At March 17, 2008 6:07 PM, Blogger Leah said...

Delurking to comment on how awesome that pizza b-day cake is. Very impressive!

 
At March 17, 2008 9:41 PM, Blogger traveler one said...

My gosh-- what a great cake!! I hope he realises how lucky he is!

 
At March 17, 2008 9:50 PM, Blogger J said...

I don't know which I like better - the pizza cake or the hamburger cake.

Happy bday, boy12.

 
At March 17, 2008 9:53 PM, Blogger kate said...

Wow-- that cake is amazing! You are so creative! I'm in awe...

 
At March 17, 2008 11:59 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Amazing cake. Happy birthday to the young feller. My son turned 12 this month, too.

 
At March 18, 2008 4:36 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

Wow, what a great looking cake ! You were very creative with all the toppings.

 
At March 18, 2008 10:03 PM, Anonymous Gardner said...

the kids are hilarious. Great party - did you hear all the burping. LOL
Like I said to blogness monster: got to start listening to them more. I tend to tell them lots of stuff.

 
At March 19, 2008 9:57 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Awsome cake!... uhm... Pizza...LOL. My brother and I used to do the burping contests, too. It would totally gross my G'ma out. I can even burp "backwards". Wanna hear it? ;)

 
At March 19, 2008 12:40 PM, Blogger Trac said...

Will you be trying to make a pizza that looks like a cake? :O)

 
At March 19, 2008 2:13 PM, Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I think you did a great job with the cake!

 
At March 19, 2008 9:55 PM, Blogger hexe said...

You amaze me with the unique cakes. Happy Birthday to your almost teenager!

 
At March 20, 2008 4:53 PM, Blogger Schokolade Mädchen said...

The pizza cake is super cool!

 
At March 20, 2008 10:07 PM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

That's more than a pretty good job -- it's an awesome job on that cake! Enjoy your growing burper -- these are the fun times LOL!

 
At March 21, 2008 12:30 AM, Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

Hilarious and creative! You're amazing.

What, no nacho cheese squid?

 
At March 27, 2008 11:41 AM, Blogger madeleine said...

that is so cool! your creativity is just amazing. i showed it to my husband and he said he wished he had a wife who made things like that. :-)

 
At April 19, 2008 1:08 AM, Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

Just had another look at this. Got diabetes now. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.