Friday, February 01, 2008

just add guests

"So what are you going to serve on Friday night when T and K come over?" asks Mr. M.

"I haven't got a clue!" I reply, still tired, still uninspired, "Any suggestions?"

"What about a cheese fondue? We haven't had that in a long time."

"That's an excellent idea! You're a genius!" (he likes it when I say that)

Now, you may think that a genuine Swiss cheese fondue is a bit of a bother for someone as tired and uninspired as I am. First you have to go out and buy the main ingredients - for the fondue Neuchâteloise that we like that would be Emmental and Gruyère cheese. To make it really authentic you also need Kirschwasser. And who has a bottle of Kirschwasser just hanging around? Unless you're having fondue or a baking up a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (known in English as a Black Forest Cake/Gateau) once a week, it's probably not in your liquor cabinet.

But buying the ingredients is easy compared to melting everything together in your fondue pot (the Swiss call it acaquelon) without 1)burning it or 2) ending up with a clumpy, stringy mess that even the most polite guest would have a hard time enjoying. OK, I'll admit it's not rocket science, but if it goes wrong it tends to go really wrong.

Tonight we're taking the easy way out




Ready made cheese fondue! Any proper Swiss people reading this are probably wringing their hands in dismay. I do apologize. But anyway, you plop everything into the pot, gently heat it up and voila, your dinner is ready in minutes. A nice crusty baguette cut into chunks and speared on fondue forks helps to transport all that delicious cheesy goodness to your mouth and you won't be able to stop until you're about fit to burst, it's that tasty.

Mmmm. Fast food, Swiss style.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At February 01, 2008 6:42 PM, Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I'm surpised the swiss haven't outlawed that stuff yet. ;-)

Do you ever make chocolate fondue to go with it?

 
At February 01, 2008 7:28 PM, Blogger Silvia said...

Oh yummie, I like to eat that, too! Unfortunately my better half doesn't care for it, due to the fuel that is used on the burner.
I know there is electric ones available, but the hubby prefers Raclette instead. For the Kirschwasser, I have to say, it is found in almost every german liquor cabinet, you don't have to be a alc tho, it is besides other events for "special occasions!:)

 
At February 01, 2008 8:02 PM, Blogger bleeding espresso said...

Mmm...I'll be right over OK? ;)

 
At February 01, 2008 8:31 PM, Blogger Rositta said...

Atta girl, nothing wrong with taking the easier way out. Have fun...ciao

 
At February 01, 2008 8:38 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Shhhhhhh, don't tell, but that's exactly how I make it! I tell people all the time that it's my secret recipe! LOL

 
At February 01, 2008 9:08 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Works for me... anything for an easy life.

 
At February 01, 2008 9:11 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

En guete!

 
At February 01, 2008 9:56 PM, Blogger Julia said...

That's about the only way Czechs make fondue. And we consider it fancy ;-). The good thing about kirschwasser is that once it is in the cabinet, it is usually still there the next time we make fondue!

 
At February 01, 2008 10:34 PM, Blogger Global Librarian said...

I guess we've become Swissified. I am slightly scandalized you used a mix, because the traditional way is still quite easy and SO MUCH better than the kits. And we generally Kirsch on hand!

 
At February 02, 2008 11:47 AM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Christina - A blogging master chef like you must surely be entitled to cheat just a little sometimes?! Did you bake the bread, or was it all cheat? ;-)

 
At February 02, 2008 5:20 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Is fondue making a come-back, Christina? I remember when it was a big thing 15-20 years ago. Then we never heard about it. But now I hear about it all the time. Yummmmy. I would like some right now!!!

 
At February 02, 2008 5:41 PM, Blogger beaverboosh said...

Mausi darling,
In the mountains with our chi chi michelin star friends and having the same lazy thing tonight ourselves! No guilt here!
BB

 
At February 04, 2008 4:18 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Don't worry about cheating on the fondue...

I certainly see a lot of pre-mixed fondue bags being sold here in Switzerland.

 
At February 04, 2008 7:10 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I must admit that I prefer doing it myself, but I've also tried some fast mixes, too, and they're actually pretty good.

BTW: Every year, from October to end of March, OX asks me every 2 weeks whether we should have fondue for dinner! Yep. He's lovin' it! ;)

 
At February 05, 2008 2:56 AM, Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

One of my friends hosted a party last weekend and made a rather complicated fondue recipe just for me... and finally ended up scooping out the one stubborn cheese that refused to melt!

 
At February 07, 2008 1:11 PM, Blogger Pippa said...

Ach Mausi, I do love it to see little touches of German life. And taking photos of feasts-to-be ... wow, in my humble opinion that takes some energy to remember and to execute. You go, girl!

 
At February 12, 2008 6:40 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Oh i see CS's comment... Maybe I can still get in some fondue...that looks so incredible!

I'm not sure why we don't have it here... hmmmm...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.