Tuesday, February 26, 2008

earth to Germany, earth to Germany

Picture it: you wake up one morning in an alien world different from anything you've ever experienced before. The people look vaguely familiar but something's not quite right. Oh sure, they smile and nod, but you suddenly realize that you can't understand a single word that comes out of their mouths, and they don't look like they're getting your gist either. And what's with all the weird food, the strange customs and quirky character traits? You've obviously been transported to another planet overnight.

So what do you do about it? First you learn the local lingo, then you write a book. It's as easy as that.

Planet Germany (also here), Cathy Dobson's first novel, is a delightfully entertaining, highly personal look at life in Germany from a British family's point of view.

This is not one of those how-to survival guides. It won't tell you how to get a residence permit or where to buy the best cuckoo clocks. It won't make you an instant authority on all things German. What it will do is make you smile. It might even make you laugh out loud, especially if you're a foreigner like me who's been in Germany even longer than Cathy has. I found myself constantly nodding and saying "Yep, been there, done that, absolutely spot on." It's a fun, lighthearted read for sure.

So go read it, won't you? Cathy has recently started a blog of her own where you can be privy to more of her insights and get in touch with her. She might even send you an autographed copy of her book if you ask nicely.




Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At February 26, 2008 10:15 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

God, I remember back in 1989 when I went to live in Berlin. I felt totally deaf and dumb. It was such a strange experience. I'll go over and check her place out and seems like ordering the book would be fun.
Even after all these years I still don't understand it all....

 
At February 26, 2008 11:23 PM, Blogger christina said...

maribeth - It's such a weird feeling. I had some German when I came over here so it wasn't that bad, but I felt that way when we went to Denmark. I could read a lot of the stuff, but understanding the spoken word was very difficult indeed.

The book is also available at Amazon.com. I added a link to my post.

 
At February 27, 2008 12:03 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Actually, Christina, if you put all your main posts from this site into a book form, you'd SELL. Trust me. You should look into it, seriously!

 
At February 27, 2008 2:49 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

Christina, you definitely have a book in you, you should consider it...ciao

 
At February 27, 2008 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christina, Ginnie and Rositta, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read into the blog! I am trying hard, but those daily life stories don't happen to me that way living in the states! Silvia

 
At February 27, 2008 8:05 AM, Anonymous Cathy Dobson said...

Thanks for the lovaly write up Christina!

I nearly fell off my chair yesterday evening when I checked my blog stats (expecting about 2 visitors)and saw all the people who came over from here for a look.

And yes... Christina you could also write a book. Definitely.

If you do think about it...give me a shout and I'll tell you about all the boring but necessary stuff (like finding a publisher)

 
At February 27, 2008 5:46 PM, Blogger Diane Mandy said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the book and her site out immediately.

 
At February 27, 2008 8:19 PM, Anonymous Christina G said...

I agree, Christina, you should think about making your blog into a book. It can't hurt to consider it!

 
At February 28, 2008 5:02 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

sounds really cool...

 
At March 07, 2008 9:11 PM, Blogger christina said...

ginnie - Well thank you for your vote of confidence, my friend. I may just consider it.

rositta - You're so sweet. Must ponder this further...

Silvia - Three in a row! I may have to get serious about this.

Cathy - You're very welcome! I really enjoyed it. And yes, I'll certainly be getting in touch with you to find out all the gory details. :-)

diane - She's a hoot!

christina g - Will do!

expat - It's so funny. You should read it if you ever get a chance.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.