Thursday, January 17, 2008

when cookies are not enough

Just woke up from my nap. I guess that means I'm back.

Still tired, though. Thanks for all your comments. Yes, some of it is the thyroid and a million other little things that go along with that. The rest is most likely what natives of this country call Frühjahrsmüdigkeit, a uniquely German phenomenon that can only really be translated as the winter/early spring blahs. Sure, everyone gets it, but those living in Germany get it really bad, apparently, since there are all sorts of potions and tonics out there aimed at fighting this dreadful seasonal condition.

Last week my battle against the Frühjahrsmüdigkeit involved going for long walks in the fresh air, eating tons of fruit and vegetables and indulging in a spot of retail therapy. I'm not really a material girl at heart, but once in a while it IS nice to have new stuff.

First off was Mr. M's contribution from the flea market



New, not used. I'm all for recycling, however we need to draw the line somewhere. The ones on the right make my eyes bleed a little, but they are very fuzzy and warm and just right for my freezing feet. Thank, Mr. M!

Next we took a trip to IKEA to buy some book shelves for the bedroom and ended up, as one always does, with many other assorted doo dads, including a very cheerful bathrobe.



If this doesn't wake me up at 6 a.m., nothing will!

The icing on the cake was this little kimono-like number (definitely not from IKEA) which I shall wear while breakfasting on the terrace once winter makes its final exit and the weather gets warmer.



I call it "Hope Springs Eternal"

Yes, things are looking up!

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At January 17, 2008 4:45 PM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Hi Christina, good to see you back. Happy New Year!

 
At January 17, 2008 6:34 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Well, if these colours don't get you out of the "winter blues", nothing will ;) Not to mention the lovely kimono! Now we just have to wait for the first warm, spring day.

 
At January 17, 2008 7:45 PM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Glad you're back! Love the socks -- perfect for Valentine's Day!

 
At January 17, 2008 11:46 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Welcome back!
I love the robes and the socks look so warm!

 
At January 18, 2008 12:06 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

I'm glad you're feeling better.

 
At January 18, 2008 5:49 PM, Blogger swissmiss said...

Love the kimono! My Swiss husband blames all sorts of things on "spring tiredness," so it's definitely Swiss, too, but I've never noticed if there are tonics and cures or what-not. I'll have to keep an eye out for that now.

 
At January 18, 2008 6:19 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Welcome back!! Very nice to see you again and I really like the robes. How comfy is the Ikea stripey set?

 
At January 18, 2008 9:07 PM, Anonymous jessica said...

i have those blahs!! i cant believe there is a name for it in german and not in french. maybe because in french "ennuie" hits all year :)

 
At January 18, 2008 11:23 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

The days are getting longer! - it always helps me :)

 
At January 19, 2008 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kimono is just gorgeous. You are so witty and such a gifted writer, I am glad you feel better. I empathise because the weather upsets my moods, too.

 
At January 19, 2008 10:23 PM, Blogger essie said...

Yay!
You're back!

 
At January 20, 2008 4:38 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

i think we've had 1 or 2 days of sun during the week days. It's the only sun I've seen.. Definitely have the blah's plus here..

I'm so happy that you got such wonderful gifts and I do hope that the blah's move out of your place soon!

 
At January 20, 2008 8:38 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Hope DOES spring eternal, Christina! I love how you can bounce right back onto the blog and be full of your usual humor. You always bring a smile to my face.

 
At January 21, 2008 2:36 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Yay, you're back!!!

 
At January 21, 2008 6:20 PM, Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I like the robe--very nice!

This is my first time experiencing German winter and, especially for a southern girl, it isn't pretty. Here's to spring coming sooner rather than later! Wishful thinking?

 
At January 21, 2008 11:34 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I love those colors! We have been combatting the blahs by house-hunting, which hasn't done much except make me NOT want to clean my current house. (Y'know, since we'll be moving out of it... eventually...) I do wish we had an Ikea around here, but the closest is in Chicago (about 3 hours away). Maybe the root of my winter blahs is the American Midwest in general!

 
At January 22, 2008 12:51 AM, Blogger Gardner said...

Good to have you back. Best wishes for an early Spring.

 
At January 29, 2008 2:09 PM, Blogger christina said...

(Sorry guys, I've been totally out of the blogosphere lately!)

swenglish - Happy New Year to you too!

canswiss - Oh yes, colour can make such a difference. I forget that sometimes but it really helps.

thimbleanna - Thanks! I'll just have to decide which pair to wear on Valentine's Day.

maribeth - They're really cozy. It's been so cold and wet here lately that I've been freezing.

Sandra - Thanks. I know YOU know how it can be sometimes.

swissmiss - I think you can buy herbal concoctions at the health food store - something called "Kräuterblut" comes to mind. Supposed to be good for anemian and such.

julia - the striped bathrobe is SO great. I wear it all the time now.

Jessica - The Germans have the perfect name for almost anything that ails you! But I do like ennui - it's just SO French. :-)

haddock - I'm feeling a lot more cheerful now that we've actually had some sunshine! :-)

anonymous - Oh thank you! Would you like to come live with us and be my motivational trainer?

essie - Yes, indeed! Can't stay away for long.

expat - Yeah, January seems to be a grey month for a lot of people.

ginnie - Well, there's ALWAYS hope, isn't there? :-)

di - Never really gone, just hiding out until the urge to blog comes back.

diane mandy - The winters here can be rough sometimes, especially when it rains non-stop.

Angie - Oooh, house hunting! But yeah, the thought of cleaning and moving stuff out is pretty daunting. I can imagine that the American midwest is pretty much the same as the German midwest when it comes to being blah. :-)

gardner - Thank you! The flowers popping up in the garden are certainly improving my mood.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.