Friday, January 25, 2008

small potatoes

Because there is nothing going on around here at the moment I'll write about those silly annoyances that really don't mean much in the grand scheme of things
  • Are you waking up every morning with red, itchy eyes and sneezing your head off? I am. Because we've had such a mild winter the hazelnut and alder trees are blooming already. Hay fever season has officially started.

  • It's election time again in our state for the position of minister-president (like a state premier or governor). Our local social democrat candidate was lurking around the supermarket parking lot the other day handing out adorable wee "Nicht weinen, wählen!" ("Don't cry, vote!") packages of SPD tissues to everyone as a "little reminder" to choose him. Hmmph. The only thing they reminded me of is the fact that even after living here for almost 18 years and being a permanent resident I am not entitled to cast my ballot. I am entitled to blow my nose, though, so those tissues will come in handy.

  • Dear un-named roofing company who were pressure-washing the neighbour's roof on Wednesday: when you send one of your guys to knock on my door at 10 a.m. and I tell him that, yes, I will take your business card but, no, we are definitely not interested in having our roof done right now, sending a different guy over at 1 p.m. with the very same rude and aggressive spiel is NOT going to get our business. Ever.

  • Dear Refrigerator Repair Man: It's not all that comforting to know that you don't have any more of a clue than I do why the display on our fridge (the one with the ice maker!) is acting up. Of course it only makes those weird noises and lights up when you're not there, but believe me, there's something going on and we want to know what it is before our guarantee runs out in March. I know you did your best, though, poking half-heartedly at the buttons and wondering if it was a software problem. I hope that new part you ordered arrives soon. I love my fridge and I don't want it to die.

But it wasn't all bad! To balance that out I'll give you some things that are making me smile these days

  • Spaghettini with pesto rosso for lunch two days in a row. Mmmm.

  • The garden coming to life again

  • A new teeny tiny "beer fridge" for the basement (the 15-yr-old one died!)

  • And some real life small potatoes - lovely and waxy with the thinnest of skins. There's nothing better with a bit of butter and salt.



It's the little things...

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At January 25, 2008 4:20 PM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Gesundheit! Yeah, just use those hankies when you wake up with red eyes and a runny nose. What a desperate ploy though!

 
At January 25, 2008 4:25 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Oh I do love new potatoes!
Hay fever already? Sheesh! Come on over here, we are covered in deep snow and it is freezing cold!
Question? Would you ever be able to vote in Germany, or would you have to give up your Canadian citizenship?

 
At January 25, 2008 4:42 PM, Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I noticed the tulips coming out here in the Rhein area. Is this normal for this time of year? Either way it was pretty exiting!

 
At January 25, 2008 4:55 PM, Blogger traveller one said...

Indeed it is the little things... we have mimosa in bloom this week!

 
At January 25, 2008 6:57 PM, Blogger Jul said...

You have an ice maker? I'm jealous!

 
At January 26, 2008 12:16 AM, Blogger Julia said...

New potatoes!! Have you seen any asparagus yet?

 
At January 26, 2008 4:32 AM, Blogger Leezard said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog to see how it works and dish about yourself!

Boy, do I look forward to it being tulip time, we just seem to be having more cold and snow.

 
At January 26, 2008 9:02 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Thank goodness for the little things!

BTW, I thought you got your fridge only a year ago?!! Is it already 2 years?? Time sure flies...

 
At January 26, 2008 10:01 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Oh yes. It's definitely the little things that count, Christina!!!

 
At January 27, 2008 9:43 AM, Anonymous ian in hamburg said...

Those potatoes look soo-oooo goood! It's been ages since I've had a good red potato - time to do some better foraging next time at the market.

Speaking of the little things, is it me or is our weather this winter trying to copy Vancouver's? Seems it never lets up.

 
At January 29, 2008 2:49 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

that's the exact same fridge I had in my last place in france... very handy and those potatoes look incredible!

 
At January 29, 2008 3:36 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Wow, it sounds like an international uprising of the appliances! Our washing machine has begun leaking all over the place, and the dryer, not to be upstaged, is making a funny noise.

Maybe this will make you feel better about your voting rights (or lack thereof) -- Our fine upstanding president is currently on all the local channels delivering his State of the Union address. The grass is not always greener. ;) I started watching it in Spanish on Univision and it's amazing how much smarter he sounds dubbed into another language.

 
At January 29, 2008 2:22 PM, Blogger christina said...

swenglish - He's the one who's crying into his hanky now since he didn't win. :-)

maribeth - Only German citizens (and some EU citizens under certain circumstances, I think) are allowed to vote so I guess I'm out of luck since I'd have to give up my Canadian citizenship to get the German. Oh well.

diane mandy - It's been such a mild winter that everything's really early this year. Tulips usually start in March and April. I'm just hoping we don't get a big freeze that will kill everything.

traveller one - A mimosa! How lovely. I can't wait for spring to really arrive.

jul - Yes! The fridge with the icemaker was cheaper than the one without so we went for it and we LOVE it.

leezard - Thanks for visiting! I think I've already done about 57 versions of that meme so I'll pass this time. :-)

canswiss - I can't believe it's been two years either but we got the fridge and then had the kitchen installed a year later. How time flies!

ginnie - Absolutely! I just have to keep telling myself that a thousand times a day. ;-)

ian - They are delicious. They're from France and I think Mr. M got them at Penny or Lidl, amazingly enough.

I talked to my mum on the weekend and she said Vancouver was expecting a week long snow storm! Still that would be preferable to all this rain.

expat - Those fridges are great - they fit anywhere and it's so nice to have a place to put the extra stuff that just won't fit in the big fridge.

angie - I hear you! Whenever our appliances go down the tubes it's always two or three at once and always when the laundry is half done or you've got a bunch of dirt dishes in the dishwasher.

The government here isn't all that hot but I suppose anything would be better than Dubya! :-)

 
At January 31, 2008 12:01 AM, Blogger R. Duckie said...

Your fridge sounds nice. I hope it doesn't die.

 
At January 31, 2008 7:22 PM, Blogger hexe said...

Love the picture of the potatoes. Hope your hay fever clears up soon. Here it is sinus infection - fun stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.