Tuesday, December 25, 2007

merry merry

Here are my little elves taking a break from poking each other's eyes out. You never know when Santa might be watching.




Last night, Christmas Eve, we went to the in-laws for dinner and a grandparents-grandchildren gift exchange. I wore my 'Grin and Bear It' t-shirt, practiced acceptance and survived just fine. Sure made me miss spending Christmas with my other far-away family, though. Oh well.

Today we celebrated REAL Christmas with just the four of us. Boy11 couldn't stand the suspense and opened his big gift from Santa last night while Boy14 waited until this morning. Mr. M and I decided not to do presents this year, because, really, don't we have Enough Stuff already?

Obviously not, since I just had to buy myself this little Christmas pillow.


Makes me smile every time I look at it. In fact, I think I may leave it out all year.


A big thank you to Canada Santa for coming through with these two characters.

Their bellies were filled with waaaay too much pocket money for next summer's vacation.


Cookies were also in good supply.

Most German families who celebrate Christmas have one of these Lichterbogen in their window from the first day of Advent until around January 6. I love the way they light up the darkness. We leave ours on the most of the time.




The boys did a great job of decorating the tree. Here are a couple of my favourite ornaments. I made them when I first moved here and had a lot more time on my hands than I do now.




And this is our angel tree topper, also made by me many, many years ago. Regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas or not, she's here to share the universal message of hope, peace, love and joy that we all deserve to have in our lives.





We're about to sit down to a delicious turkey dinner with all the trimmings - homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans wrapped in bacon etc. etc. etc. And despite the stuffing haters living in this house, I made stuffing this year, yes I did! Bread stuffing with celery, onions, pecans, dried apricots and cranberries and lots and lots of sage. And yes, thank you, I will be eating it all myself. They have no idea what they're missing. Stuffing, dressing, whatever you want to call it, December 25th just ain't the same without it.

Merry Christmas!

Labels:

17 Comments:

At December 25, 2007 10:25 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Merry Christmas to you all!

 
At December 25, 2007 10:44 PM, Blogger essie said...

I'm a self proclaimed "12 stepper" thanks to my addiction to stuffing!
Please post the recipe!!
Merry, Merry Christmas from Heidelberg!

 
At December 25, 2007 11:52 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

 
At December 26, 2007 1:25 AM, Blogger CaliGirl said...

Merry christmas Christina! Im a stuffing lover from way back. I didnt get this great figure from not eating it. lol there is nothing like homemade stuffing. my mom (of course) makes the best IMO.

 
At December 26, 2007 2:23 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Love all of the photos. We are actually right outside the ski hill, literally. We can watch everything that is going on and I've gotten some great pics which I will upload once I can. And we have the much needed blue sky!

Hope your Christmas was fun or at least you enjoyed yourself cooking lots of great treats (ah those cookies look amazing!)...

 
At December 26, 2007 2:39 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

Merry Merry Christmas, Christina and family. Your meal sounds wonderful. We just came from friends home where I age way to much for my delicate tummy, but oh well, it's Christmas after all...ciao:)

 
At December 26, 2007 3:16 AM, Blogger Pippa said...

Beautiful photos, and such beautiful boys, Christina!

Here's wishing you a day of relaxation & rest ~ sounds like at least one member of the family worked Very Hard on the Christmas meal. :)

 
At December 26, 2007 3:37 AM, Blogger Windrose said...

Merry Christmas to you, Christina, and all of your family!

(BTW, I belong to the stuffing lover party, but I don't stuff the bird with it. At our house it's being baked in a separate dish with pears and hazelnuts.)

 
At December 26, 2007 3:58 AM, Anonymous lillian said...

Merry christmas to you too!

 
At December 26, 2007 4:48 AM, Blogger J said...

Merry Christmas, Christina.

 
At December 26, 2007 10:36 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I love that Christmas pillow, Christina! Wishing you very happy holidays :)

 
At December 26, 2007 11:00 AM, Blogger Poppy Fields said...

Joyeux Noël Christina!

 
At December 26, 2007 11:51 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Christina! :)

 
At December 26, 2007 12:43 PM, Blogger sognatrice said...

Sounds like a perfectly lovely Christmas!

Happy holidays!

 
At December 27, 2007 10:26 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I'm glad y'all had a lovely Christmas.

I saw on MDR the other week a story about Lichterbogen and from where they originate. They started back in the 19th century - originally lamps were put in the windows to help guide the miners home in the dark. Eventually the made an arch of candles to mimic the sun rising because in the winter the miners never were able to see the sun.

I love seeing them in the windows. I wish folks would leave them up all winter.

 
At December 28, 2007 6:42 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

I hope your Christmas tree is less than 6 feet tall, because your boys look like professional basketball players next to it! ;-)

Happy holidays, Christina! Just wanted to pop by and wish you a happy and healthy start to the new year!

 
At January 01, 2008 8:45 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I'm too late to say this celebration is soooo YOU, Christina, but hopefully still early enough to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.