Thursday, October 04, 2007

hope you like Germans too

Yep, I'm still alive. Just completely knackered, as the lovely Brits would say. The Malaise hangs on with a vengeance. Blood has been drawn by the Dragon Lady down at the doc's office with results due today. My head is spinning thinking about My Stuff and Other People's Stuff. I can't seem to find my brain's OFF switch these days so it looks like the little black cloud is going to be here for a while. Please forgive the sparse blogging.

Yesterday was a holiday, Tag der deutschen Einheit or German Unity Day in commemoration of the fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989. The first Germany Unity Day took place on October 3, 1990 only a few months after I moved here.

Mr. M was still Boyfriend M when I visited him in Germany in late 1988. During my five month stay we spent a few days exploring Berlin and I remember looking over that bizarre wall and thinking to myself, "This can't go on for much longer." Seems like a lot of other people were thinking the same thing. When we visited Berlin again in New Millenium it was completely changed for the better. What a difference a wall makes.

It's still not exactly a love-in between (former)east and west, but they're working on it and in time things should improve.

The German government has also been working on its immigration policies, and as of this year, citizens of EU countries (and Switzerland) may retain their old citizenship if they decide to become German citizens as well. Non-EU members like me don't have that option and giving up my Canadian citizenship is not something I'd do willingly so Canadian I stay.

If you're thinking about taking the plunge and "going German", take a look at this video by the German comedy duo Mundstuhl. They wrote this song last summer for the World Cup and it kind of gives you a tongue-in-cheek idea of what you'd be in for.





We're Germans
Football play we better than you
We're Germans (Germans)
Hope you like Germans too


Welcome here in Germany
from the Alpen to the sea
In unsren Kneipen you can smoke

[You can smoke in our pubs]
Lederhos , Oktoberfest
unsre Biere are the best

[Our beer is the best]
Gebraut nach German Reinheitsgebououout
[Brewed according to the German purity law]

We're Germans (Germans)
Football play we better than you
We're Germans (Germans)
Hope you like Germans too


And we built the better cars
German Wertarbeit nach Maß

[Quality workmanship made to measure]
For example BMW
Des heißt Double U , eschd!

[That's double-you!]

Have the Autobahn gebaut
[Built the autobahn]
And we love the Sauerkraut
Made in West Germany


We're Germans (Germans, Germans, Germans)
Football play we better than you
We're Germans (Germans, Germans, Germans)
Hope you like Germans too


Wir haben die Zugspitze
[We have the Zugspitze]
Do you know the Loreley?
Fahr mal auf dem schönen Rhein

[Take a trip on the beautiful Rhine]
And have a look at Norderney

We're Germans (what you what you what you want)
We're Germans (what you what you what you want)
Football play we better than you
We're Germans
Germans , Germans , Germans
Hope you like Germans too


Germany is total cool
in Köln every Boy is schwul

[In Cologne every boy is gay]
Every German has a Bauch
[Every German has a belly]
My Oma is German too
[My grandma is German too]
Our cows make also "muh"
Hämorriden have we auauauch
[We've also got hemorrhoids]

We're Germans (Germans)
Football play we better than you
We're Germans (Germans)
Hope you like Germans too


We're Germans (Germans, Germans, Germans)
Football play we better than you
German in the name of the Lord (Germans, Germans, Germans)
Hope you like Germans too


We're Germans (Germans)
Football play we better than you
This is the song for all the Germans (Germans)
(Come along) Hope you like Germans too


Do you like the Germans?
(Germans, Germans , Germans)
Do you like them?
Football play we better than you
Do you like the Germans?
(Germans , Germans , Germans)
Hope you like Germans too


Hope you like the Germans...

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

At October 04, 2007 11:01 AM, Anonymous ian said...

Don't blame you for not giving up your Canadian citizenship. Simply the idea of dealing with all the paperwork turns me off. It would also make going back to live in Canada a hassle as well, I bet.

 
At October 04, 2007 2:09 PM, Blogger kate said...

Hmm, I hope you feel better soon.

In 1994 my housemate and I sublet to a couple of young guys from East Germany. It was pretty amazing to think that just a few short years ago, their lives had been completely different.

 
At October 04, 2007 2:22 PM, Blogger .:mar said...

I have now the Spanish citizenship because they allow me to keep my original one. It wasn't the case in Germany so I remained Chilean all the time :)
I posted my 1987 pictures of The Wall yesterday...
Yes, I like Germans too!

 
At October 04, 2007 4:21 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

I wouldn't give up my American citizenship. It's who I am, just like being Canadian is who you are, no matter how long you live in Germany.
My best friend is an East German, and I think of how we wouldn't be allowed to be together if the wall were still up.

 
At October 04, 2007 6:11 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I wouldn't give up my British citizenship to become Australian either! They've changed it now since I've left, of course!

 
At October 04, 2007 6:25 PM, Blogger J said...

Hope you feel better soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Tempting as it may be because I could move to Spain if I had a German passport, I have no plans to give up my US passport.

 
At October 04, 2007 11:40 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

I was born in Canada, and I lived there for only one year. Then, I lived in the U.S. for 37 years. Now, I've lived in Switzerland for 7 years. And guess what...I have remained a Canadian citizen - and ONLY a Canadian citizen - the whole time!
I keep telling my Canadian relatives that I'm going to move back to Canada someday to take advantage of the national health care system...after not having ever paid a single tax dollar to Canada!

 
At October 04, 2007 11:49 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Hey...this picture of me was taken at a Dunkin' Donuts in what used to be East Berlin!

 
At October 05, 2007 12:00 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Thanks for posting about the holiday -- my German BIL and my little nephew are visiting Germany this week -- now when he comes back home, I can ask him about his holiday, with more than one meaning, LOL. He's been here 16 or 17 years and he won't give up his German citizenship either. We were lucky enough to see Berlin before and after and you're right -- what a difference a wall makes. Amazing, really.

 
At October 05, 2007 12:11 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

With the exception of voting I can't think of anything I'd get as a German citizen that I don't get as a legal resident. Until they allow duel citizenship I'll be keeping my US citizenship.

I'm not technically an Ossi but I married one. I could listen to "Life in the DDR" stories for hours. Endless entertainment!

 
At October 05, 2007 8:39 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I don't care how many years I live in Italy, I will always keep my American citizenship (not that the Italians could ever get my paperwork done to make me a citizen anyway).

Hope all is well soon.

Cyn

 
At October 05, 2007 1:34 PM, Blogger Jul said...

I love that video! Too funny.

 
At October 05, 2007 2:59 PM, Blogger tinakala said...

Hugs and kisses and get well soon.

 
At October 05, 2007 9:31 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

The video wasn't there for me today, Christina, but I can just imagine it, after reading the lyrics!

PLEASE get better! I hate that this stuff is still hanging on for you. And of course, do NOT give up your Canadian citizenship. Wait till they give you both!

I miss you!

 
At October 06, 2007 10:49 AM, Blogger Betty C. said...

I got tagged for a meme which was actually pretty interesting and, as you are one of the last three people to comment on And So Forth, I have tagged you! No big deal if you're not inspired. Here is the link:

http://and-so-forth.blogspot.com/2007/10/what-nice-surprise-matthew-of-common.html

 
At October 06, 2007 12:13 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I was born with both citizenships, and I'm happy that I could keep both.

Hope you're feeling better.

 
At October 06, 2007 9:32 PM, Blogger hexe said...

So sorry to read you aren't feeling well - hope it subsides soon. Thanks for the interesting song and video!

 
At October 07, 2007 6:00 AM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

Funny song ... and all true of course.

 
At October 07, 2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

Hope you feel better soon. Do you think its Thyroid related?

To be honest it wouldn't bother me to give up my British citizenship. I define who I am rather than my passport ;)

 
At October 07, 2007 9:56 AM, Blogger Claire said...

I hope your feeling better! I cannot turn my brain off some days, too.

I cannot believe that there were not more comments about the song! The video had me in stitches. Why is it filmed on the beach like Jamacia if it is about Germany? This is the reason I keep my US passport. I don't want to be associated with the bad taste in music.

 
At October 07, 2007 5:18 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Seeing that you are the original Canadian in the bunch which could get everyone else back into Canada, I'd be keeping mine too... I'm guessing you can function normally anyhow seeing that the family is EU...

By the way, hope you do get better soon! And thinking of you on this Thanksgiving weekend!

 
At October 08, 2007 5:09 PM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Hi Chrisitina, hope you're feeling better now. I read the lyrics, but could not watch the video, because it seems to be gone. I smiled all the time I was reading it though; very funny. Having both my old Swedish passport and my British one, I don't think I'll be going for a third one! :-)

 
At October 09, 2007 11:28 AM, Blogger christina said...

ian - Exactly. You can't live in Canada for more than 6 months without Canadian citizenship or permanent residence.

kate - Oh yes, things changed completely. Mostly for the better, but a lot of people still aren't all that thrilled about it.

mar - Interesting how some countries allow dual citzenship and others don't. If we moved to Canada, Mr M could become Canadian AND retain his German passport under certain circumstances. Too bad it doesn't work the other way around.

maribeth - Yep, it reall is part of my identity. I know a lot of people don't think that way, but I sure do.

ms mac - Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world was on the same wavelength? There are a lot of pros and cons to weigh when you try to decide, but having a German passport doesn't give me any more priveleges than I have no so I won't bother.

J - Yeah, that would be tempting, but I wouldn't do it either. Too much at stake.

TBF - So you get to do the "apply for a new passport every 5 years" thing too, eh? If we don't make it back to Canada in the next 20 years we'll definitely want to retire there ( Hey, maybe we'll be neighbours!) and I'll need my citizenship to Mr M in.

Nice picture! :-)

thimbleanna - I think a lot of people do just go with permanent residency and leave it at that. They have to make sure they stay in the country for a certain time period every year, but other than that, it's just like being a citizen.

dixie - Yes, other than the voting thing there really don't seem to be any advantages. If they do end up offering dual citizenship I think I'd take it since it allows you to reside in either country for an unlimited period.

It still boggles my mind that life was SO different for the people behind that wall. Very, very interesting subject.

cynthia rae - I've heard all about Italian bureaucracy and I think you're right.

jul - Those guys are a hoot. I love them.

tinakala - Thanks! :-)

ginnie - Those guys know how to make a joke, and how to take one too. Sometimes if you refresh the page the video will come up, it can take a while to load.

I'm working on getting better and I miss you too!

Betty C - Thank so much, but I think I've done that one before. :-)

canadianswiss - Definitely has its advantages. I'm so glad my kids also have both. Gives them so much more freedom to move around in the world without all the bureaucracy.

hexe - Doing better all the time, thanks!

berlinbound - All true and very tongue-in-cheek.

haddock - Yeah, I suspect it is thyroid related. My doc upped my dosage and it seems to be too much because I'm bouncing off the walls but exhausted at the same time.

Wouldn't it be great if they just introduced a Citizen of the World passport? :-)

Claire - That video cracks me up every time I watch it. I think it's filmed at some kind of a Strandbad in Germany, actually. Some of the trees look kind of fake. It's supposed to be a spoof of We're Jammin' by Bob Marley. Mundstuhl have another skit at YouTube called Die Gebrüder Montgolfier that's hilarious too.

Expat - Yes, I am the key to freedom! If I gave up my citizenship it would take WAY too much time and money to either have the kids sponsor us (for which they'd need to be living in Canada without us???) when they were old enough or go the skilled worker route.

swenglishexpat - Try refreshing the page to see if the video comes up. Seems like dual British/Swedish citizenship could get you where you want to go. :-)

 
At October 09, 2007 11:21 PM, Blogger dieMutti said...

thanks for posting the lyrics to this song. When we were in Deutschland in January, we picked up a compilation CD and it had this song on it. My DH (who speaks minimal German) loves it and we've wanted to find the complete lyrics! My kids of course prefer DJ Pinocchio :) Thanks for a fun blog for someone who's thought about leaving the west to live in Deutschland for a while... :)

 
At October 15, 2007 10:11 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

My husband won't surrender his Icelandic citizenship, even though he hasn't lived there full-time since he was a teenager.

That little passport is a lot more than just paper and plastic, yo.

Hope you're feeling better!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.