Saturday, August 11, 2007

and the winner is...

...Dresden! That's the official location of this year's Whiney Expat Meet-Up. Now we need to figure out a date that would suit the majority. The city is a bit out of the way for a lot of people, so we'll see how many turn up this time. We could also think about organizing a mini-meet-up some time for the Nordlichter - the ones who, like me, live up north.

Here's the map again with Dresden marked on it in case you're not quite sure where it is. For me it's a 4 1/2 hour train ride from Hannover so you can judge how long it would take you.





Today's journey will be a short one. Claire (she turns 30 today !!!) is busy with party preparations and I'll be helping her when I arrive in Wildeshausen this afternoon at 3 p.m. For the out-of-towners it's a BYOB party - Bring Your Own Bed. Yes, I have my super space age inflatable mattress in my bag all ready to go.

Of course I also have little something for Claire in that bag. When I was trying to think of what she might like, Mr. M asked "Well, does she have any hobbies?" To which I replied, "Umm...none that I can talk about in public!"

Catch y'all later...

11 Comments:

At August 11, 2007 12:59 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

If you have not been to Dresden before I think you will enjoy it. I sure did!
Also close by is the Meissen Factory and their tour is very good. I loved it.

 
At August 11, 2007 4:54 PM, Blogger Rositta said...

I'm told Dresden is a very beautiful city. My Mother spoke of it often, she was there when it burned...It's good they restored it.:)

 
At August 11, 2007 8:19 PM, Anonymous Sparky said...

So.. what IS Claire's hobby :)?

 
At August 12, 2007 2:38 PM, Blogger hexe said...

We expect some pictures and just a bit of gossip for those who can not attend :)

 
At August 13, 2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Julia said...

Hurrah for Dresden! Keep us posted on the dates and I'll hop on a train and be there!

 
At August 14, 2007 2:10 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

It really IS beautiful here... and there are just enough scars left on the city to remind you of its important place in history.

You'll love it, I'm just sorry it's such a long commute for you!

 
At August 14, 2007 4:57 PM, Blogger Angie said...

That sounds so fun! I have always been fascinated by Dresden, too. I'm sure you will all have a great trip!

Ditto hexe's comment -- photos and gossip, please! (Although I'm painfully aware that I still haven't finished my Spain blogging and my meeting with the family Tapas Barman.)

 
At August 15, 2007 9:01 AM, Blogger vailian said...

I love Dresden, and if the dates work out, I will try to come! Will probably have to fly in though, the train ride is horribly long.
They have reconstructed the Frauenkirche, but secretly I preferred the amazing pile of rubble that it was for so many years. There are so many rebuilt churches in Germany-- and the Frauenkirche, like so many others, doesn't have a congregation to speak of any more, and they use the church more for concerts and events than as a place of worship. For me, it is kind of artificial, like Disneyland. But I always was a heretic.

 
At August 15, 2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Oh yes, now I remember why Dresden sounded familiar. After seeing it on the map, I realized it was the last city we trained through while on our trip to Prague 2 years ago. And that's where the Czech guys came on board to check our passports! Cool!

Okay then. Let's see if the appointed time fits our European schedule. I hope so!

 
At August 16, 2007 9:41 AM, Blogger mar said...

You will have great fun no matter where you decide to meet!

 
At August 21, 2007 5:03 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I'm guessing I went through Dresden on my way to Czech as well...

But let me tell you, I'm still homesick as ever... I know I go through hills and valley's at times. I'm definitely in one right now..

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.