Friday, July 06, 2007

OK, I sort of lied about the wild and crazy

Can you believe that I, couch potato extraordinaire, have been too busy to blog?? Not crazy busy, just little bits of busy here and there that haven't left much time in between.

So yes, please forgive me for leading you on, but last weekend wasn't really wild and crazy at all. On Saturday we dropped Boy11 off at the in-laws for an overnighter so he and Oma could get up early and watch the Schützenfest parade on Sunday. Late Saturday afternoon Boy14 headed out to his end-of-year class party which was held at a classmate's farm in the next town. A few of the kids, including Boy14, stayed the night, sleeping in a barn and coming home looking like they hadn't slept at all. More than a few of the kids, also including the big guy, must have gotten hold of some dodgy potato salad too, because 11 of them stayed home from school on Monday with stomach aches.

Anyway, Mr. M and I couldn't get over the fact that we were actually kidless and had the whole of Saturday evening and right on into Sunday all to ourselves. So we did what most old married couples do on Saturday nights. We went shopping.

We really just wanted to pick up something nice for dinner, but you know how it is, one thing led to another and along with a couple of nice steaks to throw on the grill we came home with...

...a pair of new shoes for me



...and a new table for the terrace



Oh, and some lawn fertilizer. Can't get much more exciting than that, can you?

On Sunday a friend of mine and her 4-yr-old had planned to come over for the day, but she cancelled at the last minute, and I was, ahem, sort of glad since I had a million other things I really needed to do. We've since made another date that suits us both better.

I had almost forgotten that it was Canada Day on Sunday. There was still time to make pie, though, and I made one with some cherries from the mother-in-law's garden. Our handy dandy cherry pitting device made short work of those babies, but thinking I didn't have enough I also added a few stewed cherries to the pie. Those were given to us by a friend of the in-laws and I hadn't checked to see if they were pitted or not before I threw them into the pie. They weren't. There's no accounting for German logic. Damn. Had to get my grubby mitts in there and pick out what I could before baking, but Mr. M managed to get his fair share. He loved his pie, but he HATES cherry pits and other hard foreign objects in his food with a passion. It's a running joke around our house that if if there's even one pit in a cherry pie, cake or compote, he's ALWAYS the one to get it. Poor baby. And let's not even mention The Roasted Chestnut Incident of 1991. I'll tell you about that another time.


As Canadian as cherry pie?

More later on the busy week that followed...

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At July 06, 2007 3:32 PM, Blogger Schokolade Madchen said...

Mmmmmm...your pie looks really good. I finally bought some cherries and I was so excited to bake something with them but I was too afraid to try to make a pie! And the other recipes I had were a little advanced for me. We ended up just eating them from the bowl.

 
At July 06, 2007 3:57 PM, Blogger Wendz said...

Fab fab fab...shoes, table and pie. Me likey, me wantey.

 
At July 06, 2007 5:30 PM, Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Thanks for explaining the Schützenfest in that link. Now I understand what they are up to, or not as it may be. But goodness me, it must take some practising to drink out of those two glasses with such skill like in that clip! ;)

 
At July 06, 2007 6:23 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Oh my lord, I love cherry pie. I really want some now!

Those shoes are adorable!

 
At July 06, 2007 8:22 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I can't remember the last time I had real cherry pie! and at this time of day, I'm sure you can hear my stomach growling!

As for the wild and crazy weekend, how often do you buy a new table for the terrace? Especially now that the weather is supposed to turn more summer-like. Niiiiice! :)

 
At July 06, 2007 11:28 PM, Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

We've got some beautiful cherries now, as well, but somehow they never make it into the pie and go straight into my mouth instead.

Looks great, C!

 
At July 09, 2007 2:37 AM, Blogger susan d said...

You made me laugh with your old married couple line. That is exactly what we do when the kids are off on their adventures!
Plus the shoes are fantastic, the table divine and the pie, good enough to eat!

 
At July 10, 2007 4:32 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

You take the pie, Christina! No one beats you!!

 
At July 11, 2007 9:49 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

I'm a fan of raw cherries. However, when they're cooked/baked/stewed, something happens to them that makes them unpleasant to my taste buds.

But...your cherry pie still looks really good!

 
At July 11, 2007 11:21 PM, Blogger christina said...

schokolade madchen - They're best from the bowl anyway but a pie isn't that hard to make.

wendz - Yes, they were all making me pretty happy. I'm so shallow. ;-)

swenglishexpat - It's REALLY hard to drink that way. I certainly can't do it. I guess that's why they sell so much alcohol - people spill most of it.

angie - It's been raining non-stop since I bought the shoes so I haven't even worn them outside. Need to buy a new outfit to go with them too. :-)

CanSwiss - We had some really great ones in Vancouver last year but I rarely make pie here.

californiakat - Oh yeah, I like them fresh best too.

susan d - Our little guy is going to camp for two whole weeks when school is out. We can't wait!

Ginnie - Thanks, my friend. :-)

TBF - I don't mind the taste of cooked cherries but you're right, they do have that certain weirdness to them. Other people in this household claim they MUST have pie, however, so I bow to their wishes now and then.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.