Sunday, July 29, 2007

berry good

It's berry season now and we got a hold of some fat fresh blueberries during the week. After eating our fill out of hand, I used the rest to make this simple cheesecake type dessert. It looks quite rich but only has 227 calories and 6 g of fat per serving so you can eat a slice or two and still fit into that bikini.






Blueberry Yogurt Flan (from New Light Cooking by Anne Lindsay)

Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup butter or soft margerine
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw frozen fruit)

Topping:
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% or 2% plain yogurt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp grated lemon or orange rind
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp icing sugar

1. In food processor or bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, egg whites and vanilla, mixing well. Press into bottom of lightly greased 10-inch springform or tart pan; sprinkle evenly with blueberries.

2. Topping: In bowl, sprinkle flour over yogurt. Add egg, sugar, lemond rind and vanilla; mix until smooth. Pour over blueberries.

3. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until crust is golden. Serve warm or cold. If desired, sift icing sugar over top just before serving. Makes 12 servings. Can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.

Varations: substitute 2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) cranberries OR 3 cups fresh or one 10 oz. (300 g) package individually frozen raspberries.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

At July 29, 2007 1:29 PM, Blogger mar said...

It looks wonderful and I am sure it tastes even better!

 
At July 29, 2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Thank you, thank you!!! I know P just commented.. I'm so excited though... :)

 
At July 29, 2007 5:12 PM, Blogger P. said...

What a coincidence! ET and I just purchased a whole lot of blueberries yesterday!

Now we know what to do with them :)

 
At July 29, 2007 5:40 PM, Blogger Goofball said...

wow, looks delicious!

 
At July 29, 2007 8:29 PM, Blogger ColourMeCrazy said...

Oh YUM! That looks fantastic! Blueberries are cheap at the moment at our local supermarket and I bought a couple of punnets the other day wanting to make a dessert with them. Only problem is that I kept snacking on them and now I have a grand total of 7 blueberries left!

 
At July 29, 2007 8:43 PM, Blogger Kim and Victoria said...

Look sooooo good! Going to have to try it. Love the low fat and calories!

 
At July 29, 2007 9:37 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Absolutely heavenly, Christina. You always take the cak...er pie!

 
At July 29, 2007 9:48 PM, Anonymous ian said...

I can't wait to get my arms and legs all scratchy from thorns as I make my way out into the season's first foray for Himalayan blackberries...

if only it would stop raining!

 
At July 29, 2007 11:36 PM, Blogger christina said...

mar - Thanks!

Expat - I can read your mind! :-)

P - Well there you go. Happy baking. :-)

goofball - It disappeared in about 20 mins. I guess I'll have to make a new one.

colourmecrazy - Yeah, they're quite reasonable at the moment and the ones we had were really big and juicy. I'd like some raspberried too but they're twice the price of blueberries right now.

kim and victoria - I think there are even some vitamins in there somwhere!

ginnie - Thank you! :-)

ian - My kids had tons of fun last summer picking blackberries at my parents place. We have a couple of small canes in the garden - looks like this year's harvest will be about 8 berries. :-)

 
At July 30, 2007 12:30 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Your family are so lucky to have you!

 
At July 30, 2007 12:49 PM, Blogger Schokolade Madchen said...

It looks delicious - and LOW FAT?! You are good, girl!

 
At July 30, 2007 1:13 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Ahhhhh...berries - definitely one of the joys of summer!

 
At July 30, 2007 4:35 PM, Blogger tinakala said...

-drueling-

 
At July 30, 2007 5:06 PM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

My ggodness woman! Do you spend your LIFE as a slave to that stove??? Another fabulous looking item...!

 
At July 30, 2007 5:41 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Looks tasty! not sure if I'll look good in a bikini though! :)

 
At July 30, 2007 7:31 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

That looks delicious AND my kind of desert (not too sweet). YUM

 
At July 31, 2007 2:07 PM, Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

God, I miss blueberries. Greece doesn't have any, so the only time I get them is when I'm in the USA or out in the field picking them with friends in Sweden (which are simply the best, btw). Something about picking them yourself that makes them all the more satisfyingly sweet :)

 
At August 01, 2007 10:53 AM, Blogger J. said...

Found my way to your blog and saw that delicious blueberry recipe. Looks wonderful!

 
At August 21, 2007 4:45 AM, Blogger Lilian said...

WOW, this looks AMAZING!! I'm only now catching up reading your blog after being away for a month in Brazil. I really want to try this recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.