Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Language Week Day 3: halten wir es noch 7 Wochen aus?/another 7 weeks of this?

Tja, der 27. Juni ist Siebenschläfertag in Deutschland. Angeblich soll das heutige Wetter die Zustände für die nächsten sieben Wochen entscheiden. Wenn es heute regnet, wird's einen langen, nassen Sommer.

Well, the 27th of June is Siebenschläfertag in Germany. Today's weather supposedly gives us a taste of how it's going to be for the next seven weeks. If it rains, it's going to be one long, wet summer.

Woher kommt der Begriff "Siebenschläfer"? Es gibt zwar ein kleines nachtaktives Nagetier namens Siebenschläfer, es hat aber nichts mit diesem Tag zu tun.

Where does the term Siebenschläfer come from? There is a small nocturnal rodent called a Siebenschläfer (a dormouse in English) but it has nothing to do with this day.


Bin ich süss, oder was?/Am I cute or what?

Der Name Siebenschläfer stammt eigentlich aus der Legende der Sieben Märtyrer von Ephesus, auch Sieben Schläfer genannt. Mehr Information dazu gibt's hier auf Deutsch.

The name Siebenschläfer actually stems from the legend of the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus. More information on that here in English



So, das Wetter soll sieben Wochen lang so bleiben? Moment mal, ich muss einen Blick aus dem Fenster werfen. Hmmm, sonnig, aber Wind ohne Ende mit Temperaturen um die 17°C. Konnte schlimmer sein, aber auch viel besser. Ach was soll's. Mann kann es sowieso nicht ändern. Wie sieht's heute aus in eurer Ecke der Welt?

So, the weather is supposed to stay this way for seven weeks? Wait a minute, let me look out the window. Hmm, sunny, but there's an endless wind and the temperature's at about 17°C. Could be worse, could also be better. But what the heck. We can't do a thing about it anyway. What's it like today in your corner of the world?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At June 27, 2007 4:06 PM, Blogger Martina said...

Hier ist es ca. 15° und windig. So müsste es jetzt nicht unbedingt 7 Wochen lang bleiben; mal schauen, ob's stimmt :-)

 
At June 27, 2007 4:22 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

It's already 90 degrees (F) with high humidity here. Please. Not a long hot summer. I will simply wilt and so will my garden!

 
At June 27, 2007 5:01 PM, Blogger Tonicito said...

Hi! It's 17°C in Salzburg and lightly raining. I would not like a verregneter Sommer (is there a translation for that in English? German is so precise sometimes... ;)). I hope that these weather proverbs do not apply anymore, with global warming and everything...

 
At June 27, 2007 6:06 PM, Blogger traveller one said...

and here in Albania.... it's 40 degrees in the shade... sigh... and there's no water...

 
At June 27, 2007 9:11 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Not very nice here, although they said it would be a very hot summer. So, when does it start??

 
At June 27, 2007 9:44 PM, Blogger J said...

If the weather is going to stay like this for seven weeks, count on incessant whining on my blog.

 
At June 27, 2007 11:41 PM, Blogger In Actual Fact said...

Hier war's 12 Grad und regnerisch, aber weil es GB ist, und wir machen sowieso alles anders als auf dem Kontinet kann es mir egal sein. Hier ist Sankt Swithins Day entscheident.

Language Week Translation: I am English and, as a nation, we generally don't talk about the weather....

 
At June 27, 2007 11:44 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I wouldn't care for seven more weeks of today's weather but I've sure seen it worse here in the summer.

 
At June 28, 2007 3:34 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

It was 35C today here in T-Dot, I don't think I can take it any longer, grrr...those words are really cool, I'm going to memorize some so I can freak out my German relatives when I come there later this year...ciao

 
At June 28, 2007 7:27 AM, Blogger ColourMeCrazy said...

It's about 16C here, rainy and windy! Urghghg.

 
At June 28, 2007 9:10 AM, Blogger mar said...

We are having pleasant 22-24ºC from tuesday until sunday...wish it would stay like this all summer long, I don't need more heat. We rarely reach 30ºC. My big fear is the high humidity in august... how would you feel going to bed at midnight and there are 30ºC (yes, thir-ty)in the bedroom and 80% humidity...aaarggghhh. No, we can't stand air conditioning, so that's our fate. It's only a couple of weeks in august...only I can do without them.

 
At June 28, 2007 9:52 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Ok this is now official - I have learn't more from your blog today than from anyone else: I have been reading "Bobo Siebenschläfer" - to miss 5&1/2 for sometime without ever thinking about what a "Siebenschläfer" actually is!

 
At June 28, 2007 2:28 PM, Blogger christina said...

Martina - We'll see. It's a I could really do without this wind.

maribeth - You poor thing! I never really associated New Hampshire with boiling hot temperatures. Hopefully things will change.

Tonocito - Hey! Thanks for visiting! I guess a verregneter Sommmer could be a "rained-out summer"? But it doesn't really do it justice, does it? I doubt that the weather proverbs are that accurate, but we'll see, won't we?

travellerone - Oh no! That's not very good. If it's not one thing it's another. Hope they deal with the water issues soon.

canswiss - I bet it'll hit us like a ton of bricks all of a sudden. I remember it being 35°C at night once several years ago and we all though we were going to die.

J - Well, someone has to whine! :-) I doubt it will stay this way for long.

actual - Was, du bist doch nicht in D-land?? Yes, yes, stiff upper lip no matter what the weather, innit?

Dixie - Oh yes, I've experienced some terrible summers since I've lived here. I don't mind the rain or cool temperatures, but the wind and humidity kill me.

rositta - 35°C must be awful but I guess it's like that most years around TO??

colourmecrazy - It was warm here this morning but pouring rain. We never get a break.

mar - It's the humidity that gets me too. We don't have a/c either, only ceiling fans and they don't help much.

Lynda - Ahhh, we love Bobo Siebenschläfer! My kids are 11 and 14 and still refuse to give that book away. Wasn't there also a dormouse in Alice in Wonderland?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.