Monday, June 25, 2007

Language Week Day 1: Bettgeflüster/pillow talk




For my first Language Week entry I'm going to do the 6 weird things I do while getting ready to sleep or while sleeping meme that Canadian Swiss tagged me for.
English translation is below the German.


1. Wie ich schon erwähnte, trage ich gerne Strümpfe im Bett. Nur wenn das Wetter sehr warm ist, so wie diese Woche, lasse ich die weg.

2. Ich brauche immer zwei Kopfkissen, eins groß, eins klein. Meistens liegt das kleine Kopfkissen obendrauf, aber manchmal auch darunter, je nach Tageslaune. Natürlich werden die beiden Kissen auch mehrmals zurecht geschüttelt bevor ich mich hinlege. Das macht meinen Mann wahnsinnig, da er viel früher als ich ins Bett geht.

3. Ich wache jede Nacht zwischen 3.30 und 4 Uhr auf, um auf Toilette zu gehen. Während ich tagsüber ohne Brille total blind bin, finde ich meinen Weg im Dunkeln ganz ohne Sehhilfe.

4. Als Nachteule würde ich am liebsten um 2 Uhr nachts ins Bett gehen und gegen 10 Uhr morgens aufstehen. Leider hat das Leben andere Pläne für mich.

5. Bei Vollmond kann ich überhaupt nicht schlafen, auch wenn ich nicht weiß, das gerade Vollmund ist.

6. Bevor ich ins Bett gehe, kontrolliere ich meinen Digitalwecker, obwohl ich genau weiß, daß er schon gestellt ist. Mir fällt es morgens sehr schwer beim ersten Klingeln aufzustehen, daher habe ich einen Doppelwecker - ich werde zweimal geweckt - einmal um 5.53 und einmal um 6.08. Zuletzt darf ich noch einmal auf die Schlummertaste drücken. Das bringt mir ganze 6 Minuten Zeit bis ich um 6.14 unbedingt aufstehen muss.


**************************************************************

1. As I've already mentioned, I like to wear socks to bed. But if the weather is really warm, as it has been this week, I'll go without.

2. I must have two pillows, one large, one small. The small one usually sits on top, but depending on my mood, I might sometimes put it under the large one. And of course both pillows need to be fluffed before I lie down. This drives my husband insane since he goes to bed much earlier than I do.

3. I wake up every night between 3:30 and 4:00 a.m. to go to the bathroom. While I'm totally blind during the day without my glasses, I can find my way in the dark with no vision correction.

4. As a night owl I would like to go to bed at 2 a.m. and get up at around 10 a.m. Alas, life has other plans for me.

5. I can't sleep at all when there's a full moon, even if I don't know there is one!

6. Before I got to bed I check my digital alarm clock even though I know full well that it's set correctly. It's really hard for me to get out of bed at the first signal in the morning, that's why my clock has a double alarm. It goes on at 5:53 a.m. and again at 6:08 a.m. After that I'm allowed to push the snooze button once. That gives me another 6 minutes until I absolutely have to get up at 6:14 a.m.


Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At June 25, 2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

Schlummertaste! That's going to be my "Wort des Tages". Thanks!

 
At June 25, 2007 4:37 PM, Blogger christina said...

Betsy - I know! Some time soon I'm going to do a post entitled "My Favourite German Words" because there are so many great ones. :-)

 
At June 25, 2007 5:51 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

OK here is my weirdness re: socks. I always have to wear them, even in the summer, with sandals, etc. I cannot have bare feet. Call me a moron!

 
At June 25, 2007 6:25 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Great title and fun post. Funny that I can't wear socks to bed. If I do, I'll find them the next morning somewhere under the quilt or on the floor and off my feet.

And I get to use my "Schlummertaste" only once. *sigh*

 
At June 25, 2007 10:15 PM, Blogger christina said...

maribeth - No, you're not a moron at all. I totally get the sock thing!

canswiss - Seeing how the socks come off your feet in the middle of the night would make a great YouTube video, don't you think? You could be famous!

 
At June 25, 2007 10:47 PM, Blogger J said...

Actually, I like this. I read the German and then compared it with the English to see how much I understood - quite a bit of it (and I learnt a few new words). Admittedly, my reading of German is not good because I don't do much of it.

 
At June 25, 2007 11:28 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

God love ya for wearing socks to bed. I could never do it. I get skeeved out just thinking about it.

I think it's mostly because I simply hate wearing socks period. I get skeeved out a bit at the thought of wearing socks with shoes.

Love to knit socks, hate to wear them.

 
At June 26, 2007 5:13 AM, Blogger srah said...

I don't know if I could come up with 6 strange things I do while sleeping/trying to sleep. Mostly I just sleep. And have strange dreams.

 
At June 26, 2007 12:06 PM, Blogger Trac said...

Ahhhhh.... Snooze Buttons.
I love them!

 
At June 26, 2007 7:38 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Except for the socks thing, we could be bed twins.

I lurve my snooze button. I'm allowed to hit it twice before getting up at 6:13.

 
At June 27, 2007 2:54 PM, Blogger tinakala said...

Your bladder is really precise, if it wakes you up every night at the same time.

 
At June 28, 2007 2:12 PM, Blogger christina said...

J - Yes, it's fun having the texts side-by-side. I never found reading German all that hard, the writing is the most difficult part, I think.

Dixie - I hate socks otherwise, unless my feet are really cold, but in bed I just have to have 'em on!

srah - A weird dream blog would be interesting. I rarely remember my dreams.

trac - I wish mine gave me more than 6 minutes!

ms mac - Well that's good to know in case we ever find ourselves in a co-sleeping situation! :-D It comforts me to know that you have to get up one minute earlier than I do.

tinakala - Annoying is more like it. My bladder works overtime.

 
At June 28, 2007 11:11 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I had read these last posts the other day (on dial-up) but couldn't leave comments. NOW I'M ON DSL! Anyway, this meme is a riot. After reading yours and CS's, I've decided Donica and I a more "normal" than I thought. :)

You always have the best titles of anyone, Christina! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.