Sunday, June 10, 2007

and we all thought he'd kicked the habit for good

Much to our surprise Mr. M started smoking again on Saturday afternoon. But I'm not talking about tobacco, thank goodness.

Remember this ol' thing from last year? Here it is again, new and improved - this time he's invested in some mysterious heater thingie (once used for melting tar, or so I was told!) and connected it to a propane tank. Or something. I am totally ignorant in these matters. All I know is that I could see that "More power!" gleam in my husband's eyes as soon as he hooked it all up.



And what did he smoke? Well, let's see, what do men (if they are anything like my man) think about night and day? Why, legs and breasts, of course. Six chicken legs and a duck breast in this case. Pretty sexy, huh? Oh yes, especially with a nice spicy paprika rub.






The entire procedure went well except for a small mishap towards the end. As you can see from the pictures, the poultry was tied on to the smoking hooks with bits of string. Mr. M kind of forgot that string tends to burn at a certain temperature. He was reminded of this as three chicken legs fell off into the red-hot fat near the bottom of the smoker. We thought they were goners, however aside from being pretty charred on the outside, they were entirely edible, as was the rest of the haul. A little dark, perhaps, but once the skin was off much, much better than last year's effort. We shared with our neighbours and they agreed.



Now that he's aquired a taste for it once again, I wonder what Mr. M will be smoking next?

16 Comments:

At June 10, 2007 11:49 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Ahhh! there's nothing like a good spicy paprika rub! :)
My hat is off to Mr M for making such a smoker and keeping manliness alive. You can never have too much power! :)

 
At June 11, 2007 12:18 AM, Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

As soon as you said "more power," you know who I thought of? Remember that comedian Tim Allen who had that show called "Tool Time?" Rrrr!

I'm just thankful we no longer have a big balcony or my fiance would be smoking out there and doing the blackened chicken thing. You should see what he's done to my pots, which were in good condition for 18 years until he got a hold of them the last 18 months. *Sigh*

 
At June 11, 2007 1:20 AM, Blogger hexe said...

Yum! Plus husband cooking means you get a break :)

 
At June 11, 2007 3:05 AM, Blogger susan d said...

And what will Mr. M tie the legs and breasts up with next time?

 
At June 11, 2007 8:28 AM, Blogger christina said...

haddock - Oh yes, testosterone is rampant around here. I have a feeling the smoker is going to get a lot of use this summer.

californiakat - Exactly! We get "Home Improvement" reruns here on TV (in German) every afternoon so it's a well-known phrase in our house. Mehr Power! :-)

hexe - Yep, all I had to do was make a salad. But I still had to supervise so he didn't burn down the neighbourhood. :-)

susan - I dunno, a couple of nice silk scarves maybe? ;-)

 
At June 11, 2007 10:01 AM, Blogger ColourMeCrazy said...

Ooo, spicy paprika! anything spicy sounds good to me.
That's a pretty inventive way of cooking chicken!

 
At June 11, 2007 11:21 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Goodness, I've just had breakfast and now considering lunch just from seeing your pictures!

 
At June 11, 2007 4:47 PM, Blogger Angie said...

You have to watch out for that "more power" gleam!

I was confused for a moment... thought I wandered into Sal's VTB!

 
At June 11, 2007 5:22 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

HA! You are at it again and have caught me just before supper! Now, where do you suppose I could find at least a grill here in A'dam?!! Hmm.

 
At June 11, 2007 5:22 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Man, that looks SO good. I hope we get the smoking thing going when we move to our house. But my husband is, sadly, not into that kind of thing. Maybe his brother is though (who will be living next door to us).

I really want to figure out how to make my own smoked, pulled pork barbecue. Been a long time since I've had good southern bbq!

 
At June 11, 2007 6:40 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

"...once the skin was off."

?!?!?!?!?!?????

But...the skin's...THE BEST PART!

 
At June 11, 2007 7:17 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Mmmm. Looks fantastic! I do wonder what Mr. M. will use instead of the cord, though...

 
At June 12, 2007 11:35 AM, Blogger christina said...

colourmecrazy - It was really good this time. We're all gung ho now to try other stuff.

elemm - You poor starving student, you! :-)

Angie - Mr M lives for more power, and after checking out the action at the VTB he got a serious case of smoker envy.

ginnie - They're must be some place around where you could get a small one. Don't know if the Dutch are keen on barbeque or not.

melusina - There are easier, less primitive, less messy ways to do it, like right on the regular barbeque with wood chips so you might be able to persuade someone or other to go for it. If you want to make pulled pork you'll need to talk to Q-Meister Sal in Spain.

TBF - Well, OK, I'll admit that we did in fact sample some of the crispy, fatty, carcinogenic skin and it was goooood, but I kinda want to keep Mr M around for a while longer, you know?

CSwiss - He said something about using wire next time, and lord knows he's got about 87 different kinds of wire in his workshop. I personally think it would be easier to put everything on a rack, but this thing is actually a fish smoker so there's not that much room.

 
At June 12, 2007 2:59 PM, Blogger mar said...

Is it a German thing that paprika rub??? we go through more glass paprika jars than any normal family!!!
It seems you are going to have very interesting bbq evenings this summer!!

 
At June 13, 2007 2:55 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

ah lovely. We're doing ribs on the 4th. Nothing quite like barbecue, is there?

 
At June 13, 2007 10:33 PM, Blogger christina said...

mar - I know! EVERYTHING is paprika flavour here!

maribeth - Mmm, we love ribs, I bet yours will be great.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.