Thursday, May 24, 2007

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

Wikipedia sez:

It is or was common for a crowd of extras in acting to shout the word "rhubarb" repeatedly and out of step with each other, to cause the effect of general hubbub.


Well, the only hubbub going on around here today was the yearly harvest taking place in our tiny little rhubarb patch. We've had a couple of plants for several years now, and since rhubarb thrives on neglect, it does very well in our garden. We love rhubarb, and apparently if you harvest it before mid-June, it contains less oxalic acid, which means that your teeth will feel less furry when you eat it. And remember, those leaves are poisonous! A little oxalic acid won't hurt you. A lot probably will.






While I was at the grocery store I picked up some juicy local strawberries and then went to work.



The cinnamon rhubarb muffins have a nice crunchy sugared top and the strawberry-rhubarb compote is flavoured with vanilla and cardamom. Great over ice cream or panna cotta and also good as a relish with cold sliced pork.

I'll be doing some further baking this evening because (pssst!) tomorrow is my birthday, and in Germany if you don't make (or buy) yourself a cake, no one else will. Them's the rules.

You're all invited to stop in on Friday to watch me slide even further down the hill I went over several years ago. Should be a lot of laughs. I guess middle-age really depends on how long one plans to live, doesn't it?

Labels:

16 Comments:

At May 24, 2007 8:55 PM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Mmmmmm. They look Wunderbar!

 
At May 24, 2007 9:19 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Happy Early Birthday!

 
At May 24, 2007 9:35 PM, Blogger Windrose said...

All the best to you Christina on your special day! May you have many, many more years of sharing your culinary bliss.

(I wish there was more than a tip of rhubarb to be seen around here. My daffodils are starting to bloom just now. Can you imagine?

I think the cardamom must be delicious with the rhubarb. Do you use the green pods or ground cardamom?)

 
At May 24, 2007 10:25 PM, Blogger Maria said...

That looks amazing... and the rhubarb reminds me of my deceased Grandma. She always made rhubarb-strawberry pie for me. Right before she had to move in to an apartment, she would still make it so long as I would pick the rhubarb for her!

 
At May 24, 2007 11:12 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

As ever, it all looks delicious!

 
At May 25, 2007 2:12 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

Happy Birthday For Tomorrow.
My Rhubarb is up too but since my Mom was the only one who liked it I'm probably going to dig it up now. I just find it too sour for my taste but those muffins sure look good...ciao

 
At May 25, 2007 2:33 AM, Anonymous lillian said...

Happy Birthday :-)

 
At May 25, 2007 3:39 AM, Blogger hexe said...

Have a wonderful birthday! May the next year be healthy and happy!

 
At May 25, 2007 5:37 AM, Blogger P. said...

Happy Birthday! And thanks for the wonderful rhubarb pictures. Your dishes, as always, look wonderfully delicious. Rhubarb brings back nice childhood memories of my grandmothers rhubarb pies and gigantic rhubarb patch in the back garden :)

 
At May 25, 2007 7:02 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Happy birthday, Christina, and many more happy and healthy years!

The muffins and the strawberry-rhubarb compote look delicious!

 
At May 25, 2007 7:45 AM, Anonymous Charlotte said...

Happy Birthday Ms Mausi. That rhubarb compote looks gorgeous.

 
At May 25, 2007 8:41 AM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks so much for the kind birthday wishes, everyone!

Looks like a lot of people have fond rhubarb memories. It's such an old fashioned thing, isn't it?

windrose - I used some ground cardamom that I found in the back of my cupboard. It gave the compote a really nice taste.

 
At May 25, 2007 10:53 AM, Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

Happy Birthday! And chances are that no matter how old you are today, you're still younger than me.

We have rhubarb growing in the yard and I haven't done a thing with it. You're inspiring me.

And your luscious photography and recipes remind me of Ashleigh's blog "Stitched in Holland." Check her out. She's your mate.

 
At May 25, 2007 10:06 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Rhubarb is one of my favorite-est things in the whole world, Christina. I'll be right over!!!

And guess what, you really ARE as young as you look!.

 
At May 26, 2007 12:46 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

We are big fans of rhubarb in this house - when I was a child it would grow in every Sydney backyard and was considered 'poor people's food'. My daughter, currently an Au pair in Gutach made rhubarb & pear crumble for her host family and they devoured it before she could get a photo. I always think of rhubarb as a winter dish.

 
At May 29, 2007 9:51 PM, Blogger kate said...

Oh. My. God. Rhubarb is probably the number one food item that I miss-- I've never seen it here, and I love love love all things rhubarb. Number two would be fresh cranberries. Gotta love a bit of tartness in your baking!

We don't have a garden as lovely as yours (lush greenness is another thing I miss) but we do have a tiny plot's worth. I wonder if I could get some rhubarb seeds...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.