Wednesday, April 11, 2007

mellow yellow - Danish edition

Tapetenwechsel - literally a change in the wallpaper. That's what the Germans call a change of scenery, and since we'd been staring at the same ol' wallpaper for quite a while now, we thought we'd try something different.

The drive up from Hannover to Ebeltoft was an easy one, especially since I wasn't driving. Ha ha. Getting through Hamburg can be a bit of a hassle at times, but since only one other German state besides Lower Saxony had started Easter holidays on Saturday it was smooth sailing on the Autobahn all the way to Flensburg where the German/Danish border is located.

Just outside of Flensburg there's a big sign that reads LAST GAS STATION BEFORE THE BORDER! That of course means that all the Germans (including mine) start jostling for position to be the first to fill up just in case there's a sudden gas shortage in Denmmark.

Meanwhile the kids start getting antsy, asking when we're going to be there. I tell them "You know what? You can tell when you're getting close to Denmark because thing start turning yellow."

"No way!" they shout from the back seat.

"I'm serious. You'll see." I reply.

And to prove my point, this baby pulls up to a gas pump and then proceeds on to the rest area beside the station. People stare and take pictures while the owner of the colourful vehicle sits on a bench and has a smoke, obviously unfazed by all the attention.


It's a Porsche Carrera GT - or so I've been told. All cars look the same to me.

The border crossing is unspectacular. Flags of all the Scandinavian countries flap in the wind and voila, we're in Denmark.

The little seaside town of Ebeltoft isn't hard to find. After a good six hours total of driving, we finally arrive, pick up our key at the office in town and get directions to our house at Egsmark Strand.

And wow, the house really IS just as yellow as the picture in the catalogue.



Here's the Mausi Mobile parked out in front. We brought a LOT of stuff with us in that trailer but actually did use most of it.



The first thing the kids wanted to do after the long ride was go for a swim. Good thing we never go anywhere without our four giant inflatable (yellow!) bananas.


Swimming with the dolphins bananas

And that was just the first day. Wait until you see what we did for the rest of our vacation!

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

At April 11, 2007 8:43 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

You are such a hoot, Christina; your posts almost always make me laugh. This is such a good start on your trip.

 
At April 11, 2007 9:53 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

What a great start! I can't wait to read more "yellow stories".

Good to have you back!

 
At April 11, 2007 10:10 PM, Blogger EllasDevil said...

The 'sudden gas shortage in Denmark' comment made me laugh!

:-)

 
At April 11, 2007 11:18 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

This is great. I can't wait to see more from your vacation!

 
At April 12, 2007 6:04 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

Wow, love those bananas...we just survived a gas shortage, no really, it was the pits...ciao

 
At April 12, 2007 8:23 AM, Anonymous lillian said...

haha... well written. With boys in the house you have to learn all about cars, right?

 
At April 12, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Looks like you guys had fun. Looking foward to hearing more about your trip.

Happy belated easter!
Cyn

 
At April 13, 2007 4:36 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Whew, that's a lot of yellow! So glad you had fun! :)

But I have to say you're KILLING me... a Porsche does not look like any other car! (If my little Pontiac looked like that, especially under the hood, I would be a very, very happy girl! lol)

 
At April 13, 2007 5:05 PM, Blogger ossy said...

...been lurking...decided to show myself. I enjoyed reading your last entry. My 13 year old is beginning his journey through the German language. I just purchased a cd-rom set, at his request. Since I will be, most likely, learning with him, I find your entries interesting. Have a relaxing holiday!

 
At April 14, 2007 5:49 AM, Anonymous kiwi_kath said...

HeeHee, I love your post and pics, especially all those bananas! I want to know if I am seeing someone flashing a V (or peace sign) from across the pool, or if you took Little Bunny Foo Foo with on vacation.

 
At April 15, 2007 9:17 AM, Anonymous jessica said...

I think I saw that car in Ticino. man that guy gets around :)

i want to hear more about this trip. and did you all eat herrings whole? i'm told they swallow them whole!

 
At April 15, 2007 6:04 PM, Anonymous CaliforniaKat said...

Hi! I found your blog through EllasDevil and glad I did because I found a bunch of other blogs through you. This photo of swimming with bananas is hilarious; I'm trying to figure out where I can get some. All I could find was an octopus with 6 legs...yes, 6. Something about Greece.

I'll bookmark you and check back from now on. Cheers!

 
At April 16, 2007 10:10 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Well who knew that Denmark was Yellow!! LOL great blog - my oldest daughter is in Germany atm and I spent so many years there as the ex-pat daughter in law - great reading your stories!~

 
At April 16, 2007 2:42 PM, Blogger christina said...

ginnie - It was a great trip. Very relaxing just as we had hoped.

CSwiss - Good to be back. Sort of. :-)


ellasdevil - Well you never know - better safe than sorry, right?

Dixie - I took quite a few pictures but I wish I'd taken more.

rositta - The gas prices weren't too bad, actually. We were suprised. One of the bananas died on us!

lillian - Oh yes! It starts with construction vehicles and then moves on to Porsches and Lamborghinis!

Cyn - Yeah, we did have lots of fun and we plan to go back some time.

Angie - Just teasin' ya, Ang! Even *I* know what a Porsche looks like. He was joined by a friend with a really nice silver one and they raced off together.

ossy - Hi and thanks for commenting. If you need any German help, just ask. :-)

kiwi-kath - Yes indeedy, that IS Boy14 flashing that peace sign.

Jessica - Yep, he probably got bored in Ticino and decided to check out the hot Danish chicks.

californiakat - Hey, thanks for visiting! We got the bananas from the flea market in Germany. I assume they're from some promotional thing or other because most of them say Chiquita on them.

Lynda - Thanks for dropping by. Tons of people paint their houses yellow - more orangey than the house we rented. I don't know if it's some sort of tradition or what, but it looks pretty nice.

 
At April 17, 2007 11:00 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

You could almost camp in the anhanger! I like those danish houses with the attached pools. Great fun. I have a sudden urge for herring and tilsiter ... am I in the right country?

 
At April 17, 2007 11:24 AM, Blogger christina said...

mike - yeah, we had TONS of stuff in the trailer including 4 sacks of firewood which we managed to use up. You can choose a house with our without a pool but most seem to have them or to at least have a sauna.

Tilsiter is actually made in Switzerland and Germany. The Danish version is Havarti.

 
At April 18, 2007 4:16 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Looks like a great vacation. Love those, uh, bananas :)

 
At April 19, 2007 11:41 PM, Anonymous CaliforniaKat said...

I just wanted to follow up and tell you that we bought two Chiquitas, so we also can swim with bananas when weather gets warmer. We're pretty jazzed and hope to send you a photo as appreciation for inspiring us.

Also, thank you kindly for adding me to your site. :)

 
At April 22, 2007 5:35 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

that is so funny... And the trailor thing, so european! I just had to laugh..

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.