Friday, March 23, 2007

honey, there's a herring in the hot tub!

Time for another road trip.

We usually end up saving our pennies for the five-week trek to Vancouver every two years. There's not much left for extras in between. But this year we decided we really needed a break and agreed that the piggy bank was full enough to dip into without making too much of a dent.

You'll be thrilled to know that we've chosen to visit one of Europe's sexiest, most romantic, most exciting countries ever - Denmark! Whoo! Can you feel the electricity?

Why Denmark? Not sure, really, it just happened. It's close, for one thing. Rather than getting on a plane we can drive there in a few hours, thus keeping our touristy CO2 emissions to a miminum. Having the ocean nearby is another plus point. We all love the ocean, any ocean, and miss it dearly living in this landlocked area. Also, we've been to Denmark once before. We know that it is clean and cosy and very, very cute. Have you seen their cows?

As of Saturday afternoon, this yellower-than-yellow house will be our home for the next two weeks. It's only 400m away from the Baltic Sea and not far from the village of Ebeltoft in Jutland where we hope to do a bit of sightseeing and take a ton o' pictures.



Like many of the vacation homes in Denmark it has a small swimming pool, a sauna and a hot tub. Aren't we lucky?

Mr. M, who isn't doing too badly for an old guy, always gets that special look in his eyes when he hears the words "hot tub."

Mr M: Look!! It has a hot tub! Oooh, Mausi, you and I are going to be spending a LOT of time in there...um...enjoying ourselves.

Me: Uh huh. And what are we going to do with the kids while we're "enjoying ourselves". I don't think your version of hot tubbing is supposed to be a spectator sport.

Mr M: Damn. Foiled again.

Actually, besides spending countless hours immersed in a giant bucket of warm water with the man of my dreams, I also plan to do a lot of sleeping in, walking on the beach and reading all those books I haven't had time for lately.

Sadly, the one book missing from my collection is "Danish for Beginners". Much to my chagrin, I discovered that Danish is not a language you can learn two days before you leave on your trip. Ask me how I know. I got as far as "Hej!" and "Tak!" and then gave up.

Wikipedia tells us:
Modern spoken Danish is characterized by a strong tendency to reduce many sounds, making it particularly difficult for foreigners to understand or master.

Well that's a relief. It's not just me then.

Now let's move on to Danish food because the one thing I CAN do in any language is eat! Hmm, let's see, what do the Danes eat? Um...smørrebrød comes to mind - those darling little open-face sandwiches. They also have lovely dairy products. I'll probably gain ten pounds from all that wonderful cheese. I've heard that the baked goods aren't too shabby either which will mean scheduling in even more walks on the beach.

And let's not forget the pickled herring! We love pickled herring in all its variations. My mouth is watering as we speak just thinking about the delicious fishiness of it all.

The following video has nothing to do with Denmark but it does mention the words "herring" and "Norway". Close enough, right? And besides, Betty White just cracks me up.




Sooo...we'll be back just before Easter Sunday. Behave yourselves while I'm gone and don't do anything I wouldn't do.


Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At March 23, 2007 10:32 AM, Blogger J said...

Have a wonderful trip. You guys deserve it.

 
At March 23, 2007 10:32 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Ooooh! Fabulous! Lucky you! I'd love to visit Denmark one day. It just seems to have a peculiar pull.

Also, Mr Mausi sounds a lot like Mr Mac!

I remember that scene from Golden Girls. Weren't they just brilliant?

 
At March 23, 2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

The Golden Girls! I used to LOVE that show, lol!
Have a wonderful vacation, hope it doesn't snow.

 
At March 23, 2007 10:51 AM, Blogger Martina said...

Have a wonderful vacation! And don't forget the sunglasses, that house looks *really* yellow ;-)

 
At March 23, 2007 11:09 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Have a great trip and enjoy the herring!

 
At March 23, 2007 11:51 AM, Blogger EllasDevil said...

Don't do anything you wouldn't do??

Well after the hot-tub story, it appears that doesn't leave much off the list so we're all pretty much free to have a ball!

In all seriousness, have a wonderful vacation!

ΚΑΛΟ ΤΑΞΙΔΙ!

 
At March 23, 2007 1:28 PM, Blogger Jul said...

Enjoy! I keep forgetting Denmark exists, but every time I'm reminded of it, I think "hey, we should go there some day!"

 
At March 24, 2007 1:00 AM, Blogger hexe said...

Have a relaxing trip! I'm still hoping that idea of learning a language in two days works as I have not even opened my Norweigan language book and June is fast approaching.

 
At March 24, 2007 1:56 AM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Have a great time. And look for abelskivers! I don't know if you can get them, but look anyway. They're Danish pancakes and they're oh so good...

 
At March 24, 2007 5:50 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

well if you are gone I cant tag you!!! Have fun!!

 
At March 24, 2007 8:08 AM, Blogger vailian said...

I love the house! You must post some pictures of what it looks like at the end of March!

 
At March 24, 2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

You're on your way, Christina! Have a fabluous vacation/holiday, and come back with lots of pics and stories. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (on a tricycle, I usually add).

I have tears streaming down my face after watching that video. Thank you so much for adding it because I needed a good laugh like that!

 
At March 25, 2007 3:09 PM, Blogger Kim and Victoria said...

You're going to have way too much fun and we're jealous! We expect quite a post when you return.

 
At March 25, 2007 9:50 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Have a great time. I'm sure you'll find a few "private momonts" to enjoy the hot tub ;-)

PS: I loved the Golden Girls

 
At March 25, 2007 10:53 PM, Blogger cncz said...

my grandma was from norway...and wisconsin...i swear she was rose from golden girls.
I think your vacation sounds awesome. Enjoy the hot tub!

 
At March 26, 2007 10:45 AM, Blogger tinakala said...

Be sure to have lots of local pastry.

 
At March 26, 2007 9:51 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

oh a vacation sounds like so much fun! I'm sure you will be enjoying yourselves...

Gave fun for sure!

 
At March 27, 2007 2:36 AM, Blogger Claire said...

Have a lovely, Danish time! I am with you on the hot tub thing. It is great for about 10 minutes.

 
At March 27, 2007 6:33 PM, Blogger swissmiss said...

Oooh have fun. And Danish, yeah. I have a friend who can speak Swedish and Norwegian (not the easiest languages in the world, I've heard) and he lived in Denmark for a year and never did get anywhere with the language. In southern Denmark (say, Abenra)you can get pretty far with German, but I don't know how far that reaches.

 
At March 28, 2007 4:17 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Looking forward to reading about your great holiday adventure!

Enjoy!

 
At March 29, 2007 9:59 AM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

I look forward to reading ALL about it - including the Hot Tub!

 
At March 30, 2007 1:15 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Enjoy your vacation!

 
At April 02, 2007 4:26 PM, Blogger Pardon My French said...

Hope you're having fun in that yellower-than-yellow house -- reading in the hot tub, I imagine. Can't wait to read about your trip!

 
At April 03, 2007 1:17 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Can't wait to hear about it. We're eyeing up a trip to Denmark later this year.

 
At April 07, 2007 7:39 PM, Blogger EllasDevil said...

Καλή Ανάσταση και Καλό Πάσχα!

Have a fantastic Easter!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.