Thursday, March 08, 2007

for your baking pleasure

So first of all here's the recipe for the chocolate cheescake. It's ridiculously easy to make and I expect you all to report in after you've tried it out on your loved ones.


Philadelphia 3-Step Black Forest Cheesecake (from Philadelphia Cream Cheese Classic Recipes)

2 packages (8 oz/250g each) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened*
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
4 squares Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
1 ready-to-use chocolate flavoured crumb crust (6 ounces or 9 inch)**
1 cup thawed Cool Whip whipped Topping***
1 1/2 cups cherry pie filling****
chocolate curls for garnish (optional)

Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; mix until blended. Stir in melted chocolate.

Pour into crust.

Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 35 - 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Spread whipped topping over chilled cheesecake; cover with pie filling. Sprinkle with chocolate curls if desired.

Notes if you live in Germany and want to make this:
*Cream cheese in Germany comes in 200g packages, so make sure you do the math and don't end up using too little
**Good luck finding a ready-made crumb crust here. You'll need to wing it and scout out some suitable chocolate cookies, bash them around a bit and use about 1 cup mixed with 2 Tbsp melted butter. Press into pie pan and bake about 10 mins at 350°F before adding cream cheese mixture.
*** No edible oil product available? Of course you can also use real whipped cream or some of that Rama Cremefine zum Schlagen stuff.
****I used Kirschgrütze as a substitute.

And since we're on the subject , here are the cakes Mr M bought himself for his birthday.


The three little ones were just right to have a bit of variety. The big one on the left was covered in a layer of marzipan and had whipped cream, sponge cake and ground hazelnuts inside. Oof. They all come frozen and all you need to do is thaw them for a couple of hours.

I feel he went a little overboard in the cake deparment, as usual, but in Germany you ARE supposed to supply your own birthday cake(s) and there wasn't much I could do about it...

...except to make even MORE cake! Yeah! I made a traditional Hannoversche Butterkuchen, a sheet cake that is typical to northern Germany and often served in the afternoon with coffee.





It's a sweet yeast dough that's rolled out in the pan, dotted with lots of butter and sprinkled with sugar. It's customary to make indentations in the dough with the end of a wooden spoon to create little pools of butter while the cake is baking. The end result is almost like a donut - very yeasty and buttery with a delicious, delicious sugar crust. Some people also put flaked almonds on top. We like it without.

I really wanted to eat the whole pan by myself but they wouldn't let me. Just wait until MY birthday.

Hannoversche Butterkuchen - Hannover Butter Cake (from Dr. Oetker's Die Besten Rezepte aus deutschen Landen - yes, that's really the title although the German seems weird)

1 package dry yeast
75 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
250 ml lukewarm milk
75 g melted butter
500 g flour

Topping: 100-125 g butter
100 g sugar
75 g blanched, flaked almonds, optional

If making in bread machine, like I did: milk, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla sugar in bottom of bread machine pan, flour on top and yeast sprinkled on top of that. Set machine to dough cycle and remove when risen.

If mixing and kneading by hand: Mix ingredients the regular way, knead and let dough rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled. Punch down and proceed with recipe.

Roll out dough to fit into greased shallow 30 x 40 cm (about 12 x 16 inches) pan. With end of wooden spoon, make indentations in dough at regular intervals and fill with small blobs of butter. Sprinkle sugar and flaked almonds (if using) over all and let rise again until doubled. Bake at about 200°C(400°F) for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and cut into squares.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

At March 08, 2007 4:01 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Oh you know the top of the cake is so my favorite. I LOVE marzipan. That's so great you bake so much!

I think I'd be doing more if we had a counter and a dishwasher. Hopefully we will get that within 2 years lol.

 
At March 08, 2007 4:33 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I just started a diet this week Christine. I insist you take this post down immediately.

Or find a way to make it all have no calories.

I said Good Day!

 
At March 08, 2007 5:52 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

oh overdone schmoverdone! the more cake the better :P

that being said, I might make both of those recipes :D thanks for posting them Christina

 
At March 08, 2007 6:59 PM, Blogger Angie said...

You always fill me with baking confidence, Christina! (And then the smoke detector goes off and crushes my dreams...) I actually think I could make both of those, although the second will require some math. It's probably not a good idea, because FI is on a (half-hearted) diet... but I'm not! :)

Dr. Oetker's Die Besten Rezepte aus deutschen Landen ... Now that's the kind of German I can read!

 
At March 08, 2007 8:53 PM, Blogger mar said...

Butterkuchen, lovely!!! Those cakes look wonderful, can't wait to see what Opa (Mr Mar's dad) chooses as bday cake for his 80th in june!
Thanks for the recipes, I will try my best :)

 
At March 08, 2007 9:09 PM, Blogger Wendz said...

Yes I am with Ms Mac - this is digustingly evil...I almost persuaded myself to take a trip to Germany Walmart for the cream cheese. But I am sticking to my resolve to eat rabbit food for a while.

However, when my weight is right - it's a must.

 
At March 08, 2007 10:33 PM, Blogger christina said...

Expat - When you have a piece of the marzipan cake you don't need to eat again for two days!

ms mac - Oops, so sorry, Stella! You'd think they'd have come up with a no calorie cake by now, but alas.

belinda - Well, it IS birthday season. Back to eating tofu and bean sprouts next week.

angie - Oh, you could definitely make these! Go for it.

mar - I bet Opa has his favourites too. Men and cake, eh?

Wendz - You know me, I'm out to corrupt everyone. ;-) I'm back on rabbit food as well, believe me.

 
At March 09, 2007 1:14 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

Oh I love having these recipes!

In Magdeburg we call that Butterkuchen Zuckerkuchen but it's the same thing. It really is like having a donut. They're so, so good when they're really fresh and cottony-puffy.

 
At March 09, 2007 2:44 AM, Blogger Kim and Victoria ----- said...

Oh........such beauty!!! I want to try them all.

 
At March 09, 2007 4:52 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

I always have to make my own b-day cake so I'm going to bake this on Wednesday, my big day. My mom and sweetie will love it. Of course there will be another cake too, thanks for the receipe...ciao:)

 
At March 09, 2007 8:06 AM, Blogger tinakala said...

Cake overdose! Knowing myself, I wóuld have eaten half of everything, then snacked on some pickles, and then finished the cakes. Yum.

 
At March 09, 2007 1:28 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

Your buttercake looks lovely! I'm going to a coffee on Monday morning and was looking for inspiration for something to bring. Thanks!!! :-)

Happy weekend!

 
At March 09, 2007 4:16 PM, Anonymous Lisa said...

That all looks very good I'll have three. Each. And while I'm here, any idea about the calories on those lovelies? I'm thinking seriously of making me a cake. Or a pie. Or both.

 
At March 09, 2007 5:08 PM, Blogger meredith said...

That butterkuchen looks so good, that's the recipe I am going to try, and if nobody else likes it, then I am going to eat it all by myself!

 
At March 09, 2007 7:22 PM, Blogger vailian said...

A couple of suggestions-- those Balsen chocolate covered biscuits, crushed in a fury, make a great base, and I put a sour cream (Schmand) + vanilla layer on top of the Philadelphia, then top it with sour cherries in syrup (the usual American toppings not available here). Enough calories that I don't have to eat for a week afterwards.

 
At March 09, 2007 7:47 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

Yummy looking cakes! When I was in HH, I tried making a dense chocolate cake for my boyfriend on his Bday, but it turned out to be quite an adventure. The baking store I went to in HH had no idea what a round cake pan was and then, they were even more surprised to hear that my cake would only consist a little bit of flour and mostly chocolate and eggs. Everyone loved the taste, but I have to say that all the Germans were a little timid to taste this "non-german" cake! I am glad to get your recipe of the Hannover cake-maybe next time I bake, I will remember that "when in germany, cook as the germans do".

 
At March 10, 2007 3:04 AM, Blogger Rositta said...

Hi,I don't thnk I would use the bread machine again, the yeast doesn't quite disolve, also I didn't have the right size pan but you know what, it was delicious anyway and my sweetie was most appreciative to come home to fresh pastry and coffee today... thanks for the receipe...:)

 
At March 12, 2007 2:06 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Ok, I'm pretty sure I just gained 5 lbs. by looking at the photos alone...

 
At March 12, 2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I do know about that German thing where you have to provide your own cake(s) for your birthday. But I agree that YOURS is the most appealing of them all, Christina. Definitely my kind of cake. I bet you feel all birthdayed out by now!

 
At March 12, 2007 11:14 PM, Blogger christina said...

Dixie - Yes, It seems to be called Butterkuchen or Zuckerkuchen interchangeably here. And it is SO good.

kim and victoria - Hope they worked out for you.

rositta - I'm glad it turned out OK even if the yeast didn't dissolve. Mine seems to work fine in the bread machine and my instructions say to put in the wet ingredients, salt and sugar first and then the flour with the yeast sprinkled over top.

tinakala - Oh yeah, the pickles would be great for cleansing the palate between the sugar shocks. :-)

Betsy - Hope you ended up making it!

Lisa - Calorie count is off the wall, I think. You could make the cheescake with low fat cream cheese but all the chocolate and whip cream would effectively cancel that out, wouldn't it? I say just go for it and don't eat again for three days.

meredith - Everyone around here just loves it and I think Boy11 ate most of it and he's *very* picky.

Vailian - Great ideas! I think those chocolate biscuits would make a delicious crust.

emily - I can be really hard to get the right baking pans here - I brought most of mine with me when I moved over and I always buy more on holiday. But you can use a springform pan as a round cake pan and you can get one of those just about anywhere. And yes, Germans can be quite reluctant to try any new foods. They tend to stick with what they know.

eurotrippen - Well, if you gained 5, I gained 10!

ginnie - Definitely birthdayed out! I bet you would like that cake - it's so simple but so delicious.

 
At March 16, 2007 3:15 PM, Blogger smashedpea said...

Whoa, I just stumbled onto your blog and you have a Butterkuchen recipe (though we called it Zuckerkuchen when I grew up)!!!!!

I'm in Toronto via Hannover and this just made my day! You may never see this comment 'cause your post is no longer new - but if you do, thank you thank you thank you!

I know I coulda just searched for it on the web, but I guess it's just one of those things I didn't know I needed until I saw it :)

 
At March 18, 2007 12:50 PM, Blogger Mrs. TBF said...

That Hannover butter cake looks great! How many grams is a vanilla sugar packet. I guess they must have it here in Basel, but I make my own and might as well use it.
Hope you had a great girlie weekend away.

 
At March 18, 2008 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. what a beautiful Butterkuchen/Zuckerkuchen. I tried to make it once from a different recipe and it came out kind of tough - more like focaccia! maybe I didn't use enough eggs.
What kind of flour do you use? All purpose? Or pastry flour? Do those categories even exist in Germany?
I'm in the U.S. but visit Germany a lot and try to have Zuckerkuchen every day when I'm there! I LOVE IT.
Thanks for your post :)

 
At March 10, 2012 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly the recipe I was looking for, I tried a German Butter Cake in a deli for the first time a few years ago and fell in love & this recipe looks exactly like the one I tried :) I can't wait to make it!!! :) Yay!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.