Monday, February 19, 2007

lucky duck

Sunday was the first day of Chinese New Year. That reminded me of home since Vancouver has a huge Asian population and Chinese New Year is such a popular celebration. You'll hear people all over the place greeting each other with "Gung Hay Fat Choy!"- a wish for prosperity in the coming year - and see tons of red and gold decorations, red and gold being lucky colours in the Chinese culture.

On the weekend we had a meal in honour of the lunar new year with a few symbolic foods.



These scary creatures are marbled tea eggs, simmered in black tea leaves and five spice powder. They symbolize fertility. (No, no further plans in that area in case you were wondering!)



A big pile o' noodles for longevity



Fish cooked whole symbolizes togetherness and abundance



And roast duck brings happiness and fidelity



Almond cookies, sugared walnuts and dried fruit ensure a sweet start into the Year of the Pig.

Apologies for the crappy quality of the photos. These pictures are sort of reflecting the way I've been feeling lately - totally unfocused and a little bit surreal with all the colours slightly out of whack. Know the feeling? I'm hoping it'll pass soon. Actually, the way things have been going, I think I may just start my year all over again right now if it's OK with you.


Anyway, all this food got me to thinking about how much I used to enjoy exploring Chinatown in Vancouver. Here's part of a piece I wrote in 2005 about one of my favourite childhood food memories.



#3: The On-On Restaurant in Chinatown

I learned to use chopsticks at an early age.

As far as I know, San Francisco has the largest Chinatown in North America. Vancouver's Chinatown comes in a close second, which means that there are literally hundreds of good and not so good Chinese restaurants to choose from. Back when I was a child, we chose the On-On on Keefer Street. The restaurant itself was nothing to look at, quite the greasy spoon in fact. The food, however, was divine, and judging by the scads of Chinese patrons, fairly authentic. We’d go at least once a month, I’d say, and have a wonderful meal. I even had a birthday party there once, as I recall.

Usually we’d just ask the waiter to bring us what he thought we’d like and what really sticks out in my mind was their sweet and sour pork, a mostly westernized dish, but exotic enough to the young palate. The little bone-in morsels were covered in a sticky bright red sweet and sour sauce that we couldn’t get enough of. The fact that you got to spit something out onto your plate without getting yelled at made it even more fun for us kids.

Another thing I remember about our Chinese dinners out was my grandmother just being herself. Our Nonna (English, not Italian, but spent many years in Rome) could not go near a pair of chopsticks (usually her own, thankfully) without sticking them up her nose and letting them hang there for a few seconds, making her look like some kind of walrus gone wrong. She did this every time we went and my brothers and I were absolutely mortified. So much for being a fine English lady. Now we wish she was still around to embarass us.



Gung Hay Fat Choy, Nonna, wherever you are.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At February 19, 2007 3:21 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy to you too!

 
At February 19, 2007 4:23 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

What do you mean crappy quality of photos, Christina??? They're fantastic on my screen. I want to reach out and eat them all!

And yes, you can start your new year today, if you wish. As they say, it's the first day of the rest of your life. :)

 
At February 19, 2007 4:28 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Ah, Mausi, wanna come over and cook US dinner? Your meals always look so yummy. Happy Chinese New Year! We'll be celebrating this one next year ;)

 
At February 19, 2007 4:57 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

Oh yummy!!!!!

 
At February 19, 2007 5:23 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Ooooh, those eggs look a bit scary, like crocodile eggs or something. I'm a bit queasey when it comes to eggs,. I'm afraid.

Happy Chinese New Year to you!

 
At February 19, 2007 9:24 PM, Blogger mar said...

Everything (but the eggs! lol) look delicious!!! The pictures look fine to me...and I am not even wearing my fine new glasses!!

 
At February 19, 2007 10:45 PM, Blogger christina said...

Betsy - Thanks!

ginnie - Oh thank you, I just thought they looked kind of weird. And yes, it IS the first day of the rest of my life.

Andrea - Oh that's right, now you'll be able to keep all these traditions alive for your little daughter. How fun.

maribeth - Thanks!

ms mac - I know! The eggs are really creepy. I just made them to see how they'd turn out. I'll eat anything so I tried one and they taste just like a regular hard boiled egg.

mar - Yes, you could really scare some people with those eggs!

 
At February 19, 2007 11:57 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

hmm, I could use some of those egg thingies. I might have to whip up a batch. ;)

 
At February 20, 2007 1:04 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

Oh dear! The Malaise is hanging around you! Kick it out!

You always make the yummiest looking dishes. And the photos are great!

I hope you enjoyed your little celebration. And feel free to start the year over again. You've got a gorgeous new kitchen now so you're off to a good start!

 
At February 20, 2007 2:19 PM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Mmmmm. The pictures look wonderful. And I'm pretty sure that the noodles are for fertility if you need them for that, otherwise, they're for getting you out of a winter funk. Noodles + New Kitchen = Happy New Year to you!!!

 
At February 20, 2007 6:51 PM, Anonymous kiwi_kath said...

I love the story about your grandmother. I have a photo I want you to see. Something tells me these behaviors are hereditary.... Well, at least in my family.

 
At February 20, 2007 8:55 PM, Blogger christina said...

rebecca - Every little bit helps. It just might work. :-)

Dixie - Yes, it's definitely The Malaise, but I poked it in the eye with a sharp stick today and it backed off a bit.

Thimbleanna - I'm sure all those noodles must be good for something!

kiwi - You mean you have also had Embarassing Moments with Chopsticks? I MUST see the photo.

 
At February 27, 2007 7:02 PM, Anonymous V-Grrrl said...

Ooh, you and Ashleigh over at "Stitched in Holland" should get together. Such amazing food and photos. I'm hanging my head in shame.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.