Wednesday, February 14, 2007

all you need is love

or cake! (and maybe a heart-shaped cake pan)



I made the cake using the Nutella muffin recipe. So here it is. Sorry for making ya wait so long.

Nutella Muffins

75g (1/3 cup) butter
100g (oh, let's say about 6 Tbsp)Nutella
50g (this is only about 3 Tbsp and really not enough for a muffin recipe. I used 160g, about 2/3 cup) sugar
2 eggs (did U know? - German eggs are sold 10 to a carton and have bright orange yolks)
120ml (1/2 cup) milk
300g (scant 2 cups) flour
1 package (15g or about 3 3/4 tsp) baking powder
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Melt butter and mix with Nutella and sugar. Add lightly beaten eggs and milk and blend well. In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add to wet mixture and stir until combined. Fill 12 muffins cups (greased or lined with paper liners) 3/4 full and bake in a 200°C (400°F) oven for 20-25 minutes.

Around here we kinda like Valentine's Day and make it a family affair. All my sweeties surprised me this morning with these lovely flowers and got some sugary treats in return.



Happy Valentine's Day!



I think these guys say it best...




A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart
Wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love
'Til you give it away.


~Oscar Hammerstein

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At February 14, 2007 5:55 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Christina! Good idea to make it a family thing.

That cake looks delicious, but... LOL. Were you a bit of a rush when you wrote down this recipe? 100g. resp. 50/160g. of what? I'm guessing it's 6 Tbsp Nutella and 2/3 cups sugar??

And yes, that egg thing is wierd. In Switzerland, you can get cartons of 4, 6 or 10. I mean where's the logic behind that (except that 4+6=10)?

 
At February 14, 2007 5:57 PM, Blogger christina said...

CSwiss - Oooops! Will correct right away!

 
At February 14, 2007 8:39 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

And I had to laugh about the orange egg yolks in Germany. So true and something that still surprises me after 2 years!

Great cake, great song/memory, and great poem. Happy V-Day to you, dear Christina and family!

 
At February 14, 2007 9:11 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I see you've already put that kitchen to good use! The cake looks super. Happy V-Day!

 
At February 14, 2007 11:55 PM, Anonymous Mike B said...

Happy V-day, Christina. What a sweet arrangement of flowers, and the cake looks scrumptious. You know, I knew the egg cartons were "odd", but I never really gave a second thought to the color of the yolk. More info you can't live without, compliments of the world of blogging.

 
At February 15, 2007 2:37 AM, Blogger Kim and Victoria said...

Happy VDay! We had our dinner out on Monday. Thanks for the nutella recipe, can't wait to try it.

 
At February 15, 2007 10:26 PM, Blogger amy said...

thank you thank you for the recipe!

 
At February 15, 2007 11:00 PM, Blogger christina said...

ginnie - I guess I don't really notice the eggs here any more but I sure do a double take when I get back to Vancouver.

christina - Oh yes, I've been cooking away. The new oven is great.

Mike - Thanks! We wouldn't want anyone to think they'd gotten hold of a bad egg. :-)

kim and victoria - Hope you had a nice dinner. The cake wasn't nearly as good as the muffins so I'd recommend those.

amy - You're welcome!

 
At February 16, 2007 10:50 PM, Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Thank you SO much for the Nutella recipe. And my German BIL thanks you too!

 
At February 23, 2007 3:19 AM, Blogger Kim and Victoria said...

Thanks for the nutella muffin recipe, I made a batch yesterday and they were great. I plan on taking the rest of them with us when we go snowshoeing this coming weekend.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.