Friday, January 05, 2007

slowly shifting out of first gear

Oh my, is it Friday already? This night owl needs to start getting to bed earlier. I've been up waaay past midnight every night since New Year's Eve and I have to get back on schedule soon and get a few things accomplished instead of schlepping around in my sweats all day in a zombie-like state. But I so enjoy the solitude after everyone else has retired to their beds. Silence is my very favourite sound, I think.

Even if I had managed to get to bed at a decent hour, there's still a problem. He Who Brings Home the Bacon has had a slight cold for about a week and that means only one thing: snoring. All. night. long. No amount of poking or prodding will get him to stop. I know he can't help it, poor guy, but boy is it annoying. The other night I was lying there wide awake, fists clenched, fantasizing about ear plugs or separate bedrooms or worse, when all of sudden the snoring actually did stop. So what did I do? Did I fluff up my pillow and happily drift off to sleep? Nope, I got all worried and poked him once more time to see if he was still among the living. He was, of course. And he rolled over and started snoring all over again.

When will I ever learn?

Anyway, lots of people have been making new year's resolutions. Not me. Don't like 'em, don't make 'em. I do, however, like to make a "wouldn't it be nice" list every few months. Things that I'd like, or prefer, to happen, but with no pressure and no time limit. If they happen, they happen. If they don't, that's OK too.

Right now I'd like to...

1. ...get some sleep, dammit!

2. ...be able to play the ukulele without making people's ears bleed

3. ...learn to compartmentalize and stop obsessing about things I don't have the power to change.

4. ...survive kitchen remodelling

5. ...make exercise seem as essential to survival as, oh, say, breathing or eating.

On the subject of exercise, I've been on a roll, and not just since the new year. The weather has been making it extremely difficult to get outside these days, but I've been giving it my all inside on the ol' elliptical trainer. I turn up my iPod, turn off my brain and go for a good 40 minutes.

There are a couple of things that make this exercise stuff easier.

Firstly, just look how nicely my iPod co-ordinates with my workout t-shirt




And secondly, I think this goes awfully well with both the iPod and the t-shirt. You know, for rehydration purposes after working up a sweat.


Cheers!


The boys go back to school on Monday and there's much to do before then. We've almost made it through the first week of 2007, we can make it through the rest, right?

14 Comments:

At January 06, 2007 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that my kitchen remodeling went so much smoother than I thought it would but then again I was the only one who was ever in the kitchen. I think that makes a big difference.

And having an iPod can make working out so much easier. How did we ever function before them?

Hope you get some sleep soon.

 
At January 06, 2007 7:12 AM, Blogger charlotte said...

I'm with you on the silence. And on the gin. I just haven't got to the exercise bit yet. Well done to you and your iPod!

 
At January 06, 2007 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like or make resolutions either. They are rather silly - lose weight, exercise, quit smoking. Everyone's is the same - so I guess all I did was decide to maybe be better at commenting on the blogs I read, because well, what else could we change about me???

 
At January 06, 2007 2:24 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Having the boys home from school this week would keep me in my sweats as well, Christina! HA. Well, off to school they go and things will get back to normal, I assume.

BTW, should I bring you some of our Delta earplugs?! I use them every night because of Donica's snoring. She says I snore as well but refuses to use the earplugs because she's afraid she won't hear the alarm in the morning. I keep telling her that alarms are like dog whistles. They get through anything for those who need to hear them!

 
At January 06, 2007 3:01 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I like the "wouldn't it be nice to ..." better than the resolution stuff, too.

Hmmm. I heard of singers' voices shattering glass before, but playing the ukelele until people's ears bleed? That's quite an achievement! You're obviously too good at it!

 
At January 07, 2007 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh get earplugs, I can't live without them as my Sweetie snores up a storm, cold or no cold. Yup, iPods are great, nice color, the gin I mean. Not a resolution in my life!

 
At January 07, 2007 10:43 PM, Blogger mar said...

Earplugs belong to my nocturnal survival kit because I hear all noises...can't stand snoring, only my own, lol.
Hope you go back to your regular sleeping pattern soon.
I have to find a regular exercising plan...

 
At January 07, 2007 11:08 PM, Blogger christina said...

Dixie - Hey fellow night owl! The carpenter told us it would take two days and before that we're responsible for ripping out the old cabinets, putting in new flooring and painting the walls. I'm looking forward to it, actually. :-) And I looooove my iPod to death. It's opened up whole new worlds for me.

Charlotte - Oh yes, silence and gin go together so well. The exercise bit will take a lot of work but it's now or never.

Rebecca - Nope, don't change a thing. ;-)
Thanks so much for commenting, and cute shoes, BTW.

Ginnie - Well, normal is relative around here. :-) But yes, we'll be back to our old schedule which means actually getting dressed and going outside. The snoring has subsided a bit now and I'm trying to be zen about it.

CanSwiss - I don't mind resolutions per se, but I don't think they should only be made at New Year's. I like to make them on a monthly, daily or even hourly basis. Works better that way.

rositta - Yeah, I don't drink much, but when I do, then it has to be that gin.

mar - Ear plugs kind of bug me, but I suppose I could try them. Little noises at night drive me nuts as well. It's just after 11 p.m. now and I'm actually thinking of going to bed since I have to be up by 6 tomorrow morning. Gahhhhh!

 
At January 08, 2007 2:55 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Oh I am doing the same for exercising. I've now committed to going 2 more times a wk for a cardio core training which I just loved on the first try...

I'm sure you'll make it too! ;-)

 
At January 08, 2007 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, those who know better (aka my grandmother) always advised that you shoud reverse your sleeping position if the other half keeps snoring. Yes, move your pillow where you usually keep your feet. I hear the sound effects are much more tolerable then.

 
At January 08, 2007 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel. My bacon bringer has had a bit of cold which means a lot of snoring! At home I can always get away to another room, but in Germany we were stuck together in a hotel. I tired everything to keep the snoring at Bay including using my Ipod while I slept.
And like you, I always got worried when it was too quiet.

Good luck to you! Hope you can catch up on your sleep!
Cyn

 
At January 08, 2007 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I left the country during my kitchen remodeling and my husband didn't put the bar/counter where I wanted it. My fault, I suppose. Your source of rehydration looks dangerous but quite good with a little Shweppes :)

 
At January 08, 2007 11:24 PM, Blogger christina said...

Expat - core training sounds really good but you're so fit anyway you probably don't even need it. :-)

tinkala - Hmm, I dunno which would be worse, the snoring or the scary size 12 1/2 feet! (Thanks for visiting, BTW)

Cynthia - That must have been LOTS of fun. I bet you're happy to be home. :-)

meredith - Well, after reading that I think I'll stay in town to direct traffic, gin an tonic in hand.

 
At January 13, 2007 1:26 AM, Blogger Pam said...

The iPod matches the Bombay Saphire, too. I'm not making any suggestions, but if it's about matching...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.