Monday, January 22, 2007

how I spent my weekend



Geez. I knew I should have married one of those Chippendales guys while I had the chance. Much less ironing.





Half-finished piñata for a little friend's birthday party on Thursday. He'll be 4. Every 4-year-old needs a piñata.





In preparation for the renovations, Mr. M painted the radiator in the kitchen, almost killing me in the process with the fumes. Radiator paint is some nasty, nasty stuff.

(I think I'm now in the running for the 2007 Three Most Boring Blog Pictures in a Row Award)

Want more excitement? Well, part-time lumberjack and full-time husband had to go over to the neighbours' to cut down a tree that had been leaning at an unnatural angle ever since the storm on Thurdsay. Have chain saw, will travel. Another small storm, Lancelot, blew in yesterday, but was nowhere near as strong as Kyrill. It's gotten much, much colder though, and we may just get some snow after all.

And how about some small town intrigue? Amateur detectives were busy over the weekend trying to figure out The Mystery of the Disappearing Dullsville Post Office.

Unsuspecting Deutsche Post customers strolled on down to the local post office (located in a gift shop and run by the gift shop owner) on Friday only to find it locked up tight with a sign on the door saying they were closed 4-EVER. No advance notice, no nothin'. Boy were people mad.

In the newspaper on Saturday a Deutsche Post representative offered nothing more than a "We were forced to terminate the contract with the store owner". Said owner, a woman who has consistenly come in dead last in the Miss Congeniality Contest over the past 10 years or so, was not available for comment. Oooh, this should be good. Heads are going to roll for sure.

Aside from being very annoying, it's also a major inconvenience for those who don't own a car and can't get to the post office in a neighbouring town. Not to mention the customers who use the Post Bank, the bank operated by the Deutsche Post.

I really want to know what's going on. Where's Nancy Drew when you need her?

16 Comments:

At January 22, 2007 12:53 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Ms. Christina, I'll have you know that there's absolutely NOTHING EVER boring about your photos, even those in a row. In fact, when I first saw the ironed shirts, I LOL, but when I read that you should have married a Chippendale guy, I almost fell off my chair. You are just way too much.

Anyway, I've calmed down and am very glad to hear Lancelot wasn't that strong. And maybe I'll see snow in Hannover next week??? Please say YES!

So, how and when does the Deutsche Post plan to fix this problem in your town??? Any indication that they'll find a new contract owner, soon?

 
At January 22, 2007 1:44 PM, Blogger christina said...

Ginnie - I'd probably put up with a lot to get out of ironing. :-)

There's a pretty good chance of snow, they say, and it's certainly very cold today. We'll see.

There was only a very tiny blurb in the paper today about the post office. I'm sure we'll hear more tomorrow. Some people still have mail in their post office boxes and have no idea when they're going to get it.

 
At January 22, 2007 1:50 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I agree with Ginnie. You always manage to put a smile on my face. In some cases, you even had me laughing tears. So there!

As for the Deutsche Post, if they're like the Schweizer Post, not much is going to happen. I do hope, however, that they find a new space fot the post office in your town.

 
At January 22, 2007 3:38 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

My friend in Berlin said that the reason that Wal-Mart failed in Germany was because they couldn't find any locals to smile and welcome you to the store like they do in the US and Canada! LOL
Love the pictures. It looks like home!

 
At January 22, 2007 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos. I got an overwhelming calm and cozy feeling when I saw the piñata picture. I would like to sit at the table and make a piñata.

 
At January 22, 2007 4:52 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Do you happen to have a pinata "recipe"? I'd quite like to make one for my daughter's party in February ...

PS Well done on all that ironing. Gives one a saintly feeling, no? Or at least a very tired feeling.

 
At January 22, 2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

oh wow! What a story about the post! And those pictures, I just laughed at your comments aftewards...

 
At January 22, 2007 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you did something constructive over the weekend nevertheless. :-)

 
At January 22, 2007 8:51 PM, Blogger J said...

I spent the weekend at the beach. I think I prefer my weekend to yours :)

 
At January 22, 2007 10:44 PM, Blogger christina said...

CanSwiss - Well, it's always nice to know that someone's smiling. I sure hope they'll find another spot for the post office soon, but knowing the bureaucracy here, it'll probably be a while.

Maribeth - That's funny. I think the real reason they failed was that they didn't research the market thoroughly and turned out to be just the same as any other supermarket.

amy - We try to stay pretty calm around here and yes, being creative is very relaxing. I'll be filling and painting the pinata tomorrow.

charlotte - I'll definitely e mail you soon with pinata instructions - it's very easy. I'm still waiting for someone to give me a medal for the ironing. :-)

Expat - I'm sure there'll be some very interesting news tomorrow about the whole thing. It'll give everyone something to gossip about.

Elemm - Yes, three things down and a hundred more to go. :-)

J - Sure, sure, rub it in. :-) I hope it snows on you tomorrow. :-p

 
At January 23, 2007 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU might think your pictures are boring, but you add such insight and humor to them that they're anything but boring. Well Done! And please keep us posted on the post...

 
At January 23, 2007 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can come iron for me any time... German Post, oh well that's Germany for you...ciao

 
At January 23, 2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you a medal for the ironing. I make my husband iron his own clothes. Call me a bad wife... LOL!

 
At January 23, 2007 11:17 PM, Blogger christina said...

thimbleanna - Why thank you! No news on the post yet, they're being very secretive but are apparently looking for a new location.

rositta - Noooo, not more ironing!

Maria - Yeah, Mr M sometimes does his own ironing too if I'm being lazy about it.

 
At January 24, 2007 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironing shirts is a vile way to have to spend a weekend. You poor, poor woman!

 
At January 28, 2007 11:07 PM, Blogger Mike B said...

You need to have Mr. M check into Brooks Brothers 346 shirts. No Ironing necessary. Just hang them up to dry and while not crisp they still look pretty good.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.