Monday, January 01, 2007

2007: Day 1

Note to self: You are too old to stay up until 4 a.m. And lay off the cheese dip if you know what's good for you.

For what seems like ages, actually since after Boy10 was born, I think, we've been having our own little private New Year's Eve celebrations. Just the four of us - good food, a little TV, and the kids letting fireworks off at midnight. That suited us just fine. We're not really party animals.

This year our plans got turned around. Our good friends T and K, the ones who can often be found at our dinner table on Friday nights, had to forgo their usual winter vacation at a ski lodge in Austria this year and were at a loss at to what to do on Dec. 31st. "Hey, I know!" says T, " You're not doing anything, we'll come to YOUR house. But we'll have to bring S's Jamie with us because she's going out with her boyfriend."

S is their 16-year-old daughter, Jamie is her 3-month-old puppy.

Oh. OK.

Our German/Spanish connection is also in town on family businesss over the holidays. So our German friend Diego (who has lived in Spain for so long that they even gave him a Spanish name) says, "Hey, I know! We're having dinner with my mother on New Year's Eve, but afterwards we'll all come over to YOUR house."

All right then.

So a quiet evening for four turns into 6 adults, four children and a small dog. But no problem, it's all good.

We had our usual fondue with chicken, turkey, pork, beef and shrimp. We use broth instead of oil to cook the meat and quite like it that way.



fondue forks at the ready

Vegetarians avert your eyes


A dinner table in chaos - please note the plethora of condiments. Anyone who had been reading my blog for a while will know that this is the normal state of things.

But there was green stuff too! T and K brougt a salad and I made these marinated vegetables.



Turns out that only two of the Spanish contingent could make it. Diego showed up with his son C, while his daughter, who had had the stomach flu all week, stayed home with Mama at Diego's mother's apartment.

Diego and C arrived bearing dessert, as promised. They had made a wonderful custard dish called Tocino de Cielo which translates literally as "bacon from heaven". Mmmm! No bacon, but heavenly it was, all egg yolks and caramelized sugar syrup.

Jelly dougnuts were also the order of the day since no German New Year's celebration is complete without them.




The men folk, large and small, were in and out all evening letting off firecrackers in the yard and smoking their once-a-year cigars. We have a great view of the city from Boy10's bedroom window and the sky positively lights up at midnight on the 31st.

A good time was had by all and we ended up with a lot of empty plates and bottles, a big mess of firecracker wrappers on the lawn and one very sleepy little dog who got so spoiled that he said he wants to come back again really soon.





Happy New Year and all the best for 2007!

18 Comments:

At January 02, 2007 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Christina! Looks like you guys had a great time! (and ate well too, YUM!)

We did fondue as well, only in Holland it's called Gourmetten. I love those kind of meals-- it's fun to choose a bunch of different dishes and take time to enjoy good food and good company!

Good luck with the cleanup and the resolutions! And all the best for 2007!

 
At January 02, 2007 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a broth fondue..just the oil or cheese ones...sounds good. And it looks fabulous.

Have a great 2007 C!

 
At January 02, 2007 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best for 2007 to you and your family, too!

 
At January 02, 2007 1:38 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

That is one crazy huge spread!
I had noticed the condiments before I read your comment :)
Happy 2007!

 
At January 02, 2007 5:03 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Awwww. Another wonderful post, dear Christina, of the goings-on at the M-House! You did a great job of bringing in the new year, I see...and with all that good food, of course. Par for your course!

We leave for Hannover on this Sunday the 7th, till the 19th, so we need to start thinking of our first get-together for 2007! I hope so. :)

 
At January 02, 2007 7:48 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Happy New Year, Christina, and best wishes of good health, love and happiness!

 
At January 02, 2007 11:21 PM, Blogger christina said...

Betsy - Thanks! "Gourmetten" - I've never heard that before. Yeah, we like to take the whole evening to finish the meal.

Wendz - It's really good and you can eat the soup later if you're still hungry. We still have cheese fondues sometimes but the oil was just getting too messy. You have a great 2007 too!

Elemm You too! Glad to read that your parents are all right.

Cathy - Mr M is on Condiment Alert now and is strictly forbidden to buy any more. :-)

Ginnie - Excellent news about your being in Hannover so soon. We'll get together for sure.

CanSwiss - Happy New Year to you and OrangeX too. Hope you're having a great time.

 
At January 03, 2007 9:49 AM, Anonymous Lisa said...

Simply awesome.

You know, I feel sorry for those boys having a mother like you. No woman on this green earth is going to be able to satisfy them in the wife-ing department. You know that saying "a son is a son until he takes a wife, but a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life"? Well in your case I'm not buying it. I foresee two handsome, grinning men and two lovely ladies all with their feet under your dinner table in the future. :)

A very happy 2007 to you and yours!

(sidenote: Sincere thanks for linking to me all this time, and for keeping up with every time I decide to change my blog title - that's got to be a pain in the butt and you've been very patient. I'm back to Raison D'être again after G decided (with not so pleasing results) to rename the blog. I don't want you to keep having to back and forth all the time, so if you want to use "amerideutsch" in your link list, I can promise you with 90-something-% certainty this name won't change. The blog title I'm not so sure about. Sorry for the trouble!)

 
At January 03, 2007 12:48 PM, Blogger woman wandering said...

It reads like a completely delicious new year :)

I persuaded Gert to drag our bed into the lounge because I was too sick to stay up but didn't want to go to bed at the other end of the house. I had to laugh when the fireworks woke me at midnight and were simply annoying ... just call me scrooge :)

Happy new year Christina, and wishing you and your family all the best in 2007.

 
At January 03, 2007 5:49 PM, Blogger charlotte said...

Looks like it's been one fabulous meal after another at the home of Ms Mausi this season! I've been reading your Christmas posts and your meals look fantastic. Happy 2007 to you and yours!

 
At January 04, 2007 12:23 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

sounds like a fun time! I think it's alright to do it at least once ayear and besides, youre that night owl right!

Oh little dog has the cutiest blue eyes too!

 
At January 04, 2007 4:46 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I wish I had a Spanish name!

Yay for food... we spent the holidays traveling from house to house, eating lots of food that we didn't have to make. :) Blissful. Glad you had a good time, even though you had to make some of that spread!

Happy 2007!

 
At January 04, 2007 5:20 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Awww, what a cute puppy! Makes me want another one...

 
At January 04, 2007 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great party! I know it must have been well worth the effort.

And I've had kept that little sweet dog! :)

Hope the new year is going well for you and your family.

 
At January 05, 2007 3:24 PM, Blogger Philip said...

Great pictures! Happy New Year!

 
At January 05, 2007 11:30 PM, Blogger christina said...

Lisa - Now cut that out! You're making me blush. Yeah, I've got the cooking thing down to a fine art, but the rest is totally beyond me. You DON'T want to know what kind of chaos the house exploded into over Christmas. :-)

woman wandering - Oh you poor dears! I'm glad you're mostly on the mend now. I also can't stand to stay in bed and miss all the action. Happy New Year to you too!

charlotte - Thanks! I've been enjoying your posts so much as well, especially the cooking one. Happy New Year to all of you.

Expat - I'm a total night owl but I need to force myself to get more sleep. And yeah, the puppy has gorgeous colouring - he's half Chihuahua and half Yorkshire Terrier.

Angie - Well, if you post your Spain pictures (hint hint), we'll give you one! :-) Happy 2007 to you too.

Eurotrippen- This one looks innocent, but he's quite a handful.

Dixie - I love preparing for parties, I just hate the clean up afterwards. It was really fun though. I don't think our friends would give up that little cutie. At first they didn't want a dog and now he's like their baby. :-)

Phillip - Happy New Year to you and Amy and the beasties!

 
At January 07, 2007 10:39 PM, Blogger mar said...

We also have our fondue with broth and enjoy the "soup" the day after! mmmm, I am getting hungry again, your blog does that to me!!!

Best wishes for 2007!!!!

 
At January 08, 2007 12:30 PM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Looks like you had a great New Year's Eve and you're making me hungry looking at it! :)

Wishing you and your family a great New Year 2007!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.