Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

Germans traditionally exchange gifts on the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Since my father-in-law is now unable to travel even short distances, we all went over the in-laws' apartment for lunch today to celebrate a bit. We kept the gift-giving to a minimum this year - Mr M and I bought something for the house as our gift to each other, and the boys requested just one big item which they will share. Or at least try to share. Can you say Nintendo?

This evening we'll enjoy a light meal by ourselves and tomorrow we'll unwrap a couple more gifts and I'll make a turkey dinner with the works, including stuffing this time, because I've been craving stuffing even if no one else likes it.

We have two trees every year. One inside





and one outside (soon to be) decorated with snacks for the birds





Christmas is very special this year because a new member of the family came into the world on Thursday night in Vancouver. I hear she's very beautiful, with dark hair, blue eyes and a dimple in her chin just like the one her dad (my youngest brother) has. My parents are now opening their hearts (and let's face it, their wallets too!) to six grandchildren, three boys, three girls. They are, of course, pleased as punch. The oldest granddaughter, my other brother's girl, is now fourteen, and it's been five and a half years since our new baby girl's big brother M arrived on the scene so everyone is thrilled to have another little one to spoil. Our dear old Dad, who avoids large crowds where he can, is probably sitting there wondering how he ended up in the middle of all this. I'll just say one thing: you started it, Dad!


Merry Christmas!

20 Comments:

At December 24, 2006 6:28 PM, Anonymous Katja said...

Merry Christmas and Congratulations on a cute baby niece!

 
At December 24, 2006 6:44 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Merry Christmas Christina! (Can't wait to see photos of your dinner. I'm sure it will be a masterpiece) :)

 
At December 24, 2006 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas to you too!

Our festivities are tomorrow.

Major cooking ahead in the morning!

xxx

 
At December 24, 2006 9:39 PM, Blogger christina said...

katja - Thanks! I got to see a picture and she looks adorable.

Alison - Merry Christmas to you too! I'm kind of full today but I'm sure I'll feel like eating again tomorrow. :-)

Wendz - I'll be cooking the big meal tomorrow as well. Got to clean up today's debris though before I can even start thinking about it.

 
At December 25, 2006 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joyeux Noël Christina!

 
At December 25, 2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

To you and your family - a great Christmas and all the best in 2007! All the preparations posted on your blog look fantastic! I think you could do a great Christmas cookbook with all this material.

 
At December 25, 2006 11:31 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family! :)

 
At December 25, 2006 12:02 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

Merry Christmas Mausi!

 
At December 25, 2006 12:52 PM, Anonymous rana said...

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

 
At December 25, 2006 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very merry Christmas, Congratulations and all the very best in 2007! Jennifer

 
At December 25, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I love "walking through" this celebration with you, Christina. You are creating memories that will last a lifetime. Believe me!

Congratulations again on being an aunt. And of course, Merry Christmas on the day!

 
At December 25, 2006 7:52 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Congrats to your family on the wonderful new baby!

How can there be people who don't like stuffing? I'd come eat some with you!

Merry Christmas!

 
At December 25, 2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Lisa said...

Now how do you get your trees to grow branches all the way to the top? Every tree we encountered was bald and skinny at the top. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Re-merry Christmas in the right section. :)

 
At December 26, 2006 2:07 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Merry Christmas. Hope your dinner and stuffing was wonderful tonight. Your new niece came into the world shortly before a new wind storm too! Talk about crazy weather lately...

I'm sure everyone will be spoiling her and if you come again for your vancouver visit, maybe she'll be walking and doing lots of talking by then. ;-)

 
At December 26, 2006 6:10 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Hope your Christmas was a merry one!

 
At December 26, 2006 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried to leave a message yesterday, but blogger wouldnt let me. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Best wishes and buon natale!
Cyn

 
At December 26, 2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Angie said...

What happy news! Merry Christmas to you all!

 
At December 26, 2006 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Christina,

Belated Merry Christmas to you!

Say, tell the boys to email me...then we could connect and play on Wii together!!!! ;-)

 
At December 26, 2006 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new Christmas baby...how wonderful!

Your trees are lovely. I hope you and your family had a very happy Christmas.

 
At December 29, 2006 10:26 PM, Blogger christina said...

meredith, haddock rana, maribeth, Jennifer, Karen, Angie, Cynthia - Thanks!

michelle - I may think of doing a cookbook someday, but I donn't know if you're allowed to do one with recipes stolen from other people. :-)

Ginnie - I think the kids do remember things like this and they love it when everything's "special", as they call it. I'm very excited to be an aunt again.

melusina - I don't get the stuffing thing either. I'll have to try a different recipe next year and see if they eat that.

Lisa - Mr M picked that one out. All the employees where he works get a free tree from a company they buy utility vehicles from and they always seem to have great trees. This is the best one we've had so far.

Expat - Yeah, they should have called the baby "Stormy" or something. :-) My brother and his family are planning on moving to Ottawa some time soon so who knows when we'll see her. Wahhhh!

Elemm - We don't have W-LAN but the kids said there's some other way to play online so we'll look into it an let you know.

Dixie - Mom and baby even made it to Christmas dinner at my parents place so everyone was really happy.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.