Thursday, November 16, 2006

what's a little saturated fat between friends?

This is the second year that our local elementary school library has sponsored visits from two German children's authors. They will be reading excerpts from their latest books tomorrow and in between readings there'll be a "healthy breakfast" dished up by volunteer mothers for all 260 kids. Being a member of the Baldwin Bookworm Library Volunteer Team (they gave me a laminated card and everything!), I have no excuse not to be there. I did it last year and it was...um...interesting.

So "healthy breakfast" means just that - no bacon, no Eggs Benedict, no Tang and definitely NO Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. Just fresh fruit, dairy products and whole grains as far as the eye can see. I'll be there at 8 a.m. sharp tomorrow morning weilding a paring knife and an apron.

But let's be realistic about this "healthy" stuff. Sometimes you're happy if your kid eats anything at all. When our first child came along, I thought I must have done something right, since he ate absolutely everything and still does. Then his little brother appeared on the scene and blew my theory right out of the water. This kid, whom we have christened The CarbMaster, would happily exist on apple juice and pasta if we let him. Not unhealthy choices as such, just too one-sided in the long run.

Mr. Picky has been expanding his food choices as he gets older, however, and the following recipe (and I use that term loosely), while not exactly healthy, is something that he WILL eat.

This is what I call Not Your Mother's Pigs in a Blanket.

First you cook up a bunch of breakfast sausages, the small Nürnberger Rostbratwurst in my case, since that's what passes for breakfast sausage around these parts.



Then you fire up your trusty sandwich maker. You do have one of these, don't you? If not, go out and buy one. I'll wait.




Now make your favourite pancake batter and spoon a bit into each compartment of your brand new appliance, lovingly placing one of your wee sausage friends on top. Top with more batter, but not too much. Rumour has it that if you use too much batter, the excess will squoosh out the sides of the machine and dribble down, making an unholy mess of your countertop and causing you to swear like a fishwife in three different languages. If course this has never happened to me.



Where were we? Oh yes, close the lid and twiddle your thumbs for about 4 minutes or until that familiar pancake aroma comes wafting out.

Now, open the lid and look at what you created - fancy little golden brown pockets of pancake-y, sausage-y goodness just begging to be dipped in real Canadian maple syrup.


Mmmmmmm!


Bon Appetit, eh?


(P.S. These freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave.)

16 Comments:

At November 16, 2006 3:47 PM, Anonymous That Queer Expatriate said...

I feel that the Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs are kind of bland and need some scoops of sugar added.

I'm fairly certain I am not alone.

 
At November 16, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Is there any better combination than salty sausages and maple syrup?

Rhetorical question, obviously. We all know the answer.

Sal

 
At November 16, 2006 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the States, Sonic has "sausage on a stick." Yum! A REAL American breakfast sausage link, of course, surrounded in pancake and then deep fried, ala corn dog. Yummy!
:-) My German friend fell totally in love with this item.

 
At November 16, 2006 4:45 PM, Blogger christina said...

queer expatriate - Ah, I see you know your Calvin and Hobbes. Did you get your Buzzy the Hummingbird doll yet?

Sal - One of my very favourite addictions. So much for those 3 lbs. *sigh*

anon - See? Sonic stole my idea and just put a stick in it! The nerve. I have seen pictures of those and the ones with the chocolate chip pancake/sausage combination look very scary.

 
At November 16, 2006 4:51 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

OMG, Christina! These are the best things I've seen since sliced bread. So downright tempting. I bet they're WONderful! What a cute gadget, too.

 
At November 16, 2006 4:59 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

Oh wow, those look good. I may have to make a store run hehe.

I wonder how they would turn out with scrapple instead of the sausage...

 
At November 16, 2006 7:03 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Hmmm. I'll have to try that. Flour- check. Eggs- check. Milk - check. Canadian Maple syrup- check. Sausages... sausages... Ok. Now on the list :-)

 
At November 16, 2006 7:53 PM, Blogger christina said...

Ginnie - They're fun because the kids can hold them in their hands without making a big mess. The sandwich maker is great for grilled cheese and such.

Kurt - I'll leave you to find out if scrapple would be good, 'cause now that I know what it's made of, I've kind of lost my appetite. :-)

CanSwiss - You mean you have a sandwich maker too?? Hope they turn out!

 
At November 16, 2006 9:11 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Corrrrr! They look good! I will be sure not to show them to the boys or I won't get a quiet moment until I've made them!

 
At November 16, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger christina said...

Ms Mac - The kids love them and they smell SO good while they're baking. You should try it, not much work at all.

 
At November 16, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Mike B said...

Well, they still haven't found a cure for death, so why not ... You know, I think I saw something like that on Leno or Letterman one night, and even better was that the breaded sausages (if that is what I saw) were on a stick, like a popsicle ... just an idea ;)

 
At November 16, 2006 9:58 PM, Blogger christina said...

mike b - Yep, we all have to go some time so why not die happy, eh? And check out the other comments - sausage on a stick was a hot topic already. I mean, if it's featured on J Leno, it has to be good, right?

 
At November 17, 2006 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take one order, please. COD!!

Carol

 
At November 17, 2006 8:53 AM, Blogger mar said...

Oh, you are so clever! Of course I have a sandwich maker but was always afraid of the mess if using batter... Happy friday!

 
At November 17, 2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hmmmmm....sounds yummy!

 
At November 20, 2006 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband thanks you in advance for this recipe. :-) I say in advance, because while we own a little sandwich maker deal in America, it is not with us in Germany, so keep waiting while I run out to buy one.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.