Thursday, October 26, 2006

by special request

Marianne, my lovely friend and fellow Canadian resides in beautiful New Brunswick, one of the Maritime provinces on Canada's East Coast where they have puffins and gorgeous maple trees and all the Timbits you could ever want. Marianne asked me to post some pictures of the fall foliage in our area. Well, what she really said was, "Sugar, [that's what she calls me] I want to see the pictures with the leaves and berries - I prefer your pics of turkeys and marble cakes but I need some nature shots so I will stop wanting to bake things after I read your blog!!!!"

Isn't she funny?

So I went out yesterday and had a look around and this is what I found. Around here, it's not so much about the changing leaves as about the berries and seed heads that the plants produce in fall. The trees we do have here - oak, ash, beech, poplar, birch and chestnut, tend to have fairly small leaves that go quite quickly from brown to yellow. I did manage to find a few interesting leaves though, along with some colourful shrubs.


I grew up calling this tree a mountain ash, but have since discovered that it goes by many other names.


mountain ash leaves



mountain ash covered in berries



In German this one is called an Essigbaum, a "vinegar tree". It is quite invasive and will take root just about anywhere, sending out underground shoots.


sumac leaves


Rose hips are often used to make tea or jelly in Germany. They are extremely high in vitamin C. Mr M has been drinking Hagebuttentee or rose hip tea since he was a little kid and he rarely gets ill. And when he does get ill? More rose hip tea, of course. He says it helps no matter what's wrong with you. I wonder if it could bring about world peace?


rose hips



The Oregon-grape is native to Oregon and the Pacific Northwest and was brought over to Europe where it is used as a decorative shrub. Makes me feel right at home! The "grapes" are edible (but taste pretty awful raw) and can be made into jam.


Oregon-grape


These firethorn berries belong to a bush that Boy10 won in a raffle at a Christmas Market a few years ago. He wasn't all that thrilled with his prize, but we planted it in our garden and it has grown into an impressive, if very prickly, shrub with tiny white flowers in the summer and beautiful yellow berries in the fall.


firethorn



Cotoneaster has very pretty ornamental berries and can be used as a ground cover or hedge.


contoneaster



The leaves of the Japanese and Virginia creeper turn such beautiful colours in the fall. The Japanese creeper was trailing down our neighbour's fence, and the Virginia creeper is ours, growing at the front of our house and all over the railing of the deck in the back.


Japanese creeper



Virginia creeper



Virginia creeper



Along with a few asters and dahlias, these crysanthemums are the last of the flowers in the garden this fall. I love their deep red colour.


crysanthemums


So there you have it, my dear! Do I get my Timbits now?

23 Comments:

At October 26, 2006 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! And I am an American living in Hamburg! Thanks for the lovely "jolt" of local beauty!

 
At October 26, 2006 5:34 PM, Anonymous Maribeth said...

Bee-yoo-tee-ful!!!

 
At October 26, 2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Did you take all these pictures? What a photographer you are!!

Carol

 
At October 26, 2006 8:01 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

great finds! I have to post more of the ones I've found lately but it seems you've got most of them where oyu live too. Will have to chekc out her site!

 
At October 26, 2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Julia said...

Thanks for the pictures and for the identification. I grew up knowing the names of most of the plants around me and rather miss that here! We're big rosehip tea drinkers in Czechia too, they swear by it for all sorts of remedies. Have you ever made rosehip jam?

 
At October 27, 2006 2:01 AM, Blogger workinpants said...

SUGAR DARLING!!!! thank you SOOOOOOOOOoo much!!!! those pictures are STUNNING!!!! iwish i knew how to post pics on the stupid blog thing i started----some day----!!!! we call the MOuntain Ash the Rowanberry tree as well----and the one you call a vinegar we have around here as well----forget the name---i LOVE all the berry pics---just fabulous---super photography as well!!! LOVE YOUUUUU!!!!!

 
At October 27, 2006 3:21 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Great fall photos! I love it.

 
At October 27, 2006 10:02 AM, Blogger christina said...

anonymous in Hamburg - Thanks! Fall is a really nice time of year here if the weather co-operates

Maribeth - thanx! :-)

Carol - Thank you - yes, I did take these. I'm always pleased when pictures turn out since I usually don't have a clue what I'm doing. I guess leaves are my thing. :-)

Expat - Yep, most of the plants are pretty similar, I think Vancouver and our town are only one gardening zone apart, but once in a while I find something I haven't heard of before.

Julia - Yes, it's kind of comforting to know the names of the local flora and fauna. I find I've usually learned most of the German names but then have to refresh my memory as to what they're called in English. I've never tried making the rose hip jam myself however it's available for sale all over the place here.

Marianne I guess that means you liked them? :-) We'll have to take a look at your blog and get it fixed up again. I wonder if you fell into the dreaded Beta trap and can't get out again? I'm sure people would LOVE to see pics of your fall foliage.

Tim - Thanks very much!

 
At October 27, 2006 10:18 AM, Blogger mar said...

Wonderful pics! I only have green pine trees around here and I miss the changing colors...will have a taste of Hamburg next week, will follow your idea, hope I can find pretty things :)

 
At October 27, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Christina, these pictures are wonderful! Really beautiful!

I have friends in New Brunswick and one of them has a sweet little dog she named Timbit. Is that not a great name for a little dog?

 
At October 27, 2006 11:39 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Lovely pictures, and I call a Mountain Ash......a Mountain Ash! :)

 
At October 28, 2006 1:02 AM, Blogger hexe said...

What colorful phots! I look seeing the change of season through the blogs as this is the only way I see them right now. Thanks :)

 
At October 28, 2006 2:52 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Thank God Marianne asked! And now the rest of us should give our own requests, I see :) I can certainly vouch for all these authentic leaves/berries, especially the oregon-grapes I asked about when I was with you on Tuesday. That was Tuesday, wasn't it? You really did a great job of capturing these many autumn shots.

 
At October 28, 2006 12:06 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Great pictures! I really love the soft pink of the Japanese creeper.

 
At October 28, 2006 5:41 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

We've got a couple of rose bushes in our backyard here in Colorado, and since I've enjoyed rose hip tea before (mostly in Europe, come to think of it), I did a little research online to try to figure out exactly what to pick and how best to prepare the "hips" to make my own herbal teas. But unfortunately it looked much more complicated than anticipated, so I decided to save that project for another year (when we might have large enough bushes to make it worthwhile). Thanks for sharing those lovely photos!

 
At October 28, 2006 8:32 PM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

What part of Germay do you live in anyway? I haven't seen that many trees since I was last in Vermont.

 
At October 28, 2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Christina, my friend with the dog named Timbit in New Brunswick wants to know where in NB your friend lives. She's in St. John and of course she was curious about your friend.

 
At October 28, 2006 11:41 PM, Blogger christina said...

mar - Thanks! I'm sure you'll see some beautiful foliage in Hamburg.

Dixie - Thank you. Yes, Timbit is a GREAT name for a dog. I believe Marianne lives in or around St. John as well. Small world if those two know each other!

Haddock - I'm glad I'm not the only one. Funny how they get called different names in different areas.

hexe - You're welcome. I sometimes forget that not everyone gets to see these things. I've never lived anywhere that didn't have a distinct change of seasons so I can't imagine what it must be like.

Ginnie - Yep, you saw them all yourself. And it was Monday, actually, but who's counting? :-)

CanSwiss- Both the varieties of creeper are so beautiful at this time of year. I also saw some dark purple leaves along with the pink. So pretty.

Richard - Way up in the north near Hannover with the cows and sheep. We live in a small town so there's quite a bit of greenery left. All the pictures were taken either in our garden or a few blocks away.

 
At October 29, 2006 2:05 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

Oh my! I know we must have some lovely nature around here, but I haven't seen any quite as nice as what you've shown us here. Note to self -- take a walk tomorrow.

 
At October 29, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Orange-X said...

Beautiful shots Christina. I guess the change of colours is the only thing I really appreciate about automn. You definitely deserved your Timbits!

 
At October 29, 2006 4:15 PM, Blogger christina said...

mikeb - Probably depends what kind of neighbourhood you're in. We're in a "Dorf" so there's still a lot of nature around but you never know what you'll see if you keep your eyes open. :-)

OrangeX - Thanks! Autumn isn't exactly my favourite season either - it can be pretty wet and dreary around these parts, but the colours make it bearable.

 
At October 30, 2006 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OKay so you're not only a terrificly funny human being, and a fabulous photographer--- but you're also a capable botanist!

 
At October 30, 2006 9:42 PM, Blogger christina said...

traveller one - Ooooh, will you move in with me and become my motivational trainer? :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.