Sunday, October 08, 2006

babes in the woods and oh, my aching back

Boy, what a week. All of us except Boy10 got struck down with another one of those mystery diseases that lasts from Wednesday to Friday and leaves you feeling like you just might throw up any minute. Boy13 and I had it better than Mr M, though, who actually DID throw up on Wednesday evening after he came home from taking the boys to Oktoberfest. Eeew. He blamed it on a bad bratwurst but I still think it was a nasty virus. Along with the nausea I was also treated to intense joint and muscle pain, including an evil backache. That would have been fine if I could have just hung out on the sofa for three days, but no, Boy10's class had planned a picnic for Thursday afternoon and the little guy really wanted to go so I downed a travel sickness pill and off we went.

The outing had been organized by two grade 11 students, one girl and one guy who are responsible for Boy10's class. It's a nice idea - If the 5th graders have any difficulties or questions at school, they can approach these two for help if they don't feel like going to a teacher.

We were set to meet at the bus stop in the next town and we were the first ones there. S, the older girl, arrived just after we did and my brain promptly shifted into social anxiety mode. There I was shuffling my feet and staring at the ground until I suddenly though to myself "Hey, wait a minute, you're supposed to be the adult here! Bring out the small talk, dammit!" Then the rest of the group arrived with their children - mostly mothers, a couple of fathers. More social anxiety. I had only seen these people briefly at the first parents' meeting at the beginning of the school year and didn't know any of them.

But I got over my anxious self and actually did strike up a few conversations during our half hour hike uphill through the woods. Can you say half dead? I was REALLY happy to sit down on our blanket when we arrived at the picnicking field.

The kids seemed to enjoy themselves, although the balance was tipped heavily in favour of the girls. There are 19 girls and 12 boys in Boy10's class and only three of the boys showed up. Those three survived, however, and a good time was had by all playing badminton, soccer and Twister.

While I was sitting there on the grass, I observed our hosts, two 17-year-olds, mere children in my eyes. I found myself thinking how young and innocent they looked and silently wondered if they were getting up to all the mischief I got up to when I was 17. All that and more, most likely. Scary, scary thought.

Friday we had our friends over for dinner and I cooked up a storm to take my mind of off of my severely compromised state of health. T and K brought their 16 yr old daughter with them since she is between boyfriends at the moment and had nothing better to do. She spent the evening on our computer surfing the net for chihuahua puppies, her new passion, seeing as the the boyfriend thing wasn't working out too well. She says she's had it with men, but I told her to keep an open mind. You know what they say: Boyfriends are like elevators - another one always comes along. Geez, I sure wish I could go back and be 16 again.


Moving right along, it's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend and you know what that means, don't you? Food!! Stay tuned.

14 Comments:

At October 08, 2006 5:10 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Food sounds wonderful. I really need a lesson in what is cooked because nobody I know celebrates it!!

And by the way, I think I might have had that sickness about 4 wks ago.

 
At October 08, 2006 7:07 AM, Blogger J said...

oh geez, you're gonna make me hungry again..lol

Early Happy Canadian Thanksgiving.

 
At October 08, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Twister and social anxiety?

Sounds like my life. Only one this is missing...

Well, actually four things...after yesterday's trip to the supermarket. :-O

 
At October 08, 2006 11:49 AM, Anonymous Lisa said...

Bring on the beautiful food! :) I think I've had that sickness too. Threw up once then spent the next 24 hours lying in bed making noises like a wounded chipmunk. (engnghhh....enggggghhhhnnn) There was no way I could've gotten up and walked out in the woods. You are a saint.

 
At October 08, 2006 12:44 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'm happy to hear that you're starting to feel better and hope the bug is completely gone by now.

I'm not sure I'd want to go back to being 16 again, though. You know... Puberty, the many "elevators", etc. ;-)

 
At October 08, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Elevators? Here, men are like buses. You're such a wonderful mom.

 
At October 08, 2006 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better. I had something like that this week on Tuesday and Wednesday. Yucky.

 
At October 08, 2006 5:17 PM, Blogger christina said...

Expat - I don't know if what we have is typical - just the usual Thanksgiving stuff, I guess, but the turkey has to be there. Whatever I had does sound a lot like what you had.

J - Thanks and are you ever NOT hungry? :-) One of these days I'm going to come down there and give you some cooking lessons.

Sal - Noooooo! You didn't, did you? Four??? :-o Yeah, Twister and social anxiety seem to cross international barriers.

Lisa - A wounded chipmunk just about describes it. No fun at all.If I had known that half the class was going to cop out I probably wouldn't have gone either, but I think the fresh air did me some good.

CanSwiss - Thanks! Much better now. I really enjoyed being a teenager, actually but I'm probably suffering from selective amnesia.

Betty - Elevators, buses, trains - it's all the same. Just make sure not to miss the last one.

Maribeth - Hope you're feeling better too!

 
At October 08, 2006 10:22 PM, Anonymous Christina said...

I think I had your mystery illness too. Today was my first day out of the house since Thursday. I've still got a month and a half till our Thanksgiving, but I find my thoughts drifting to roast turkey more and more often. I might have to start celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving as well.

 
At October 09, 2006 12:29 AM, Blogger christina said...

Christina - Not you too! It must be going around. I'd be happy eating a big turkey dinner every couple of months, I think.

 
At October 09, 2006 8:37 AM, Blogger Betsy said...

Glad to hear that you're back on your feet and cooking again! :-)

Don't you just hate those awkward social moments? Good for you for breaking the ice-- those kids were probably grateful!

 
At October 09, 2006 9:23 AM, Blogger christina said...

Betsy - Thanks! Yes, those awkward social moments define my life. :-)

 
At October 12, 2006 5:08 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

So glad you're feeling better, Christina, and I still can't picture you being that shy, after being with you 4 times! You sure hide it well :)

BTW, I just read in my catch-up mail that there is a plentiful supply of flu shots this year and all I could think of was, Is it really that time of year again!! Where has 2006 gone!! Anyway, reading about your virus made me think of the flu. Is that what you call it there?

 
At November 11, 2006 6:05 PM, Blogger txdave said...

I like your blog, specially color, liveliness.

You may like mine as I too have great photos, color, unique formatting and all about helping aching backs:

http://achingbackrelaxed.blogspot.com

http://backbebetter.blogspot.com

thnks dave

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.