Monday, September 04, 2006

hey, my blog is gettin' all dusty!!

Time to start blogging again, but my brain isn't cooperating. They say hyper-sensitive people like me need one day for every time zone to get over jet lag. Vancouver is 9 hours behind Germany, so you figure it out. I am STILL feeling weird, if you can believe it. Will force self to blog anyway before blogging mojo is compeletely lost.

School started for the boys last Thursday and since it was Boy10's first day in a new school (the same secondary school Boy13 attends), the excitement and anxiety were right off the wall. We've now got the books and the backpack and the bus under control so it should be clear sailing from here on in. Public school is free in Germany, BUT I'll just mention that I spent EUR 267 on text books and work books last week. And that's not including regular school supplies. Some books are borrowed (for a fee) from the school and others have to be bought new from the bookstore. What fun.

I have a ton to do today, so I'll leave you with a few more Vancouver pictures.

West Vancouver is made up of four main areas traditionally known as "villages" - residential/retail areas that each have their own character. I've mentioned Horseshoe Bay and Caulfeild (where my parents live) before. Dundarave and Ambleside are the two other ones. Between Dundarave and Ambleside villages there is a very popular 1.7 km watefront walk with many beaches and little parks along the way. There are no dogs allowed on the walkway which makes it quite a refreshing change from German sidewalks!


Dundarave Beach looking west



view of the walk looking west



looking east from the pier



view of the Lions Gate Bridge and Stanley Park, both Vancouver landmarks.



a little about the bridge (click to enlarge)


A short history of the bridge here and more beautiful pictures of Stanley Park here.



Hollyburn Sailing Club



Ambleside Beach at the end of the walk


Can you believe how blue the sky was? We had fabulous weather during our whole vacation and that is definitely NOT par for the course in Vancouver but sure we lucked out this time.

13 Comments:

At September 04, 2006 12:37 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

Welcome back! Hope the boys settle in quickly at school and that you're back to your old perky self again soon!

 
At September 04, 2006 3:00 PM, Blogger mar said...

wonderful pics! glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. I had company from Germany only from thursday-sunday and I need to re-adjust to blogging again...Hope jet-lag is soon forgotten!

 
At September 04, 2006 5:25 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

Glad you are back.

 
At September 04, 2006 10:43 PM, Blogger christina said...

Betsy - Thanks! They're adjusting to school all right but they definitely did NOT want to come back here.

Mar - Hope you enjoyed your visitors!

Maribeth - Hi!

 
At September 05, 2006 3:04 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

yeah no kidding the weather has been out of control here. Like perfect days daily... Odd but nice... We love this walk and try to do it on the weekends. IT's so much fun! and beautiful.....

Wow - school books are $$$

 
At September 05, 2006 12:01 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Welcome back! Jet lag for me takes ages to get over and I'm only flying from the east coast. Vancouver looks stunning and hopefully I'll make it to that side of my country some day :)

 
At September 05, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I think those books are more expensive than my COLLEGE books from the '60s! Is that possible??? UGH. In less than a month we'll be seeing these sights for ourselves and can hardly wait for THAT vacation (hoping our weather is as nice)! But not until I see you first :)

 
At September 05, 2006 7:23 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Gorgeous photos! And how great for the boys that they were able to have such a cool summer. Something to cling to during the long school days... :)

I give you kudos for your blogging mojo... I lost mine a few months ago and am still looking for it. (Although I got an iPod for my birthday Saturday, so as soon as I have time to play with it, I might do Sal's song meme. Maybe!) So glad you're back!

 
At September 06, 2006 7:30 PM, Blogger RavenGrrl said...

christina, your pics of West Vancouver get me all nostalgic for the years I lived there with my family (still have lots of family in the Vancouver area -- mostly North Van) I used to hang out at Ambleside all the time. And Stanley Park. I love the seawall -- any day of the year, no matter what the weather, walking next to the ocean, people and wildlife-watching. We lived just off of Capilano Road, at the base of Grouse Mt. --- a long time ago...

thanks for coming over to my blog -- and I'm glad you saw the words you needed to hear today. I love these kind of connections (via Richard's blog)
Maureen
aka RavenGrrl
:-))

 
At September 07, 2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Ahhhh... you make me want to go back to Vancouver!!! We were there in February and loved it -- in spite of the rain, which hardly fazed us (being from Seattle).

Keep blogging, missy... I mean Mausi!!

Carol

 
At September 07, 2006 9:44 PM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

Welcome home Christine ... and yes, the sky is blue ... Germany notwithstanding.

 
At September 09, 2006 12:21 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

You sure make Vancouver look like a beautiful place!

 
At September 19, 2006 12:30 PM, Blogger Lady Liberty said...

Textbooks>
How often does the system change books? Couldn't you use the old textbooks from Boy13? Do they have a way you can buy old textbooks from other parents?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.