Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Osoyoos Lake

A few pictures from our trip to Osoyoos, about 400 km east of Vancouver. It's about 6 hours of driving each way, but everything went smoothly and I didn't lose my breakfast, as has happened in the past.


all packed up and ready to go

My parents rented a house on the lake and we were also joined by my youngest brother, his wife and their 5 yr old son M, aka The Holy Terror, who had broken his right arm just a week before our departure. Despite not being able to do alot of things he was used to doing, he was only slightly more terrible than usual and we all got along just fine.


view from the deck

We were situated on a small lagoon on one side of the lake and the boys enjoyed fishing and their first try at kayaking.





We had expected extremely hot weather, over 40C but actually ended up with only the high 20's most days which made spending time outside quite comfortable. When we arrived we looked up to see ash falling from the sky, a result of a couple of forest fires burning in Washington State just across the border. We were also witness to a spectacular thunder storm we could see coming across the lake from the north. Very exciting. The sunsets were also spectacular.



Osoyoos is part of the Okanagan region, known for its wineries and wonderful fruit orchards. Osoyoos' other claim to fame is that it is Canada's only desert. Actually know as the Osoyoos Arid Biotic Zone, this area is part of the Sonora desert which originates in Mexico and comes up throught the U.S. to Canada. The contrast between the irrigated fields and the dry desert is quite stunning.

We visited the newly opened Nk'Mip (Een-ka-meep) Desert Cultural Centre to find out more about the local flora and fauna, taking a 45 minute self-guided tour through the desert. Luckily we didn't run into any rattlesnakes although there were plenty of signs giving instructions on what to do if one did happen to see a rattler!












So we've been back in Vancouver for over a week and leave for Germany this coming Sunday. On the advice of some very wise friends, I'm still trying to enjoy every moment rather than obsess about having to go back so very soon. But it's not that easy, you know?

21 Comments:

At August 23, 2006 3:53 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Sounds like you and your boys are having a wonderful time! What a great trip.

 
At August 23, 2006 4:45 AM, Blogger illahee said...

looks beautiful.

 
At August 23, 2006 7:38 AM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

Enjoy every moment of it ...

We returned this Sunday - to the wet, gray skies of Cologne ...

 
At August 23, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Oh, I forgot that you're still in Canada...I thought you've disappeared. Great to see you bloggin!

 
At August 23, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger meredith said...

What a beautiful place!

 
At August 24, 2006 3:02 AM, Blogger cmhl said...

beautiful!!

 
At August 24, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Sooo beautiful. Do you have any pictures of you relaxing there?

 
At August 25, 2006 10:54 PM, Blogger The SeaWitch said...

I really think BC Tourism ought to be paying you for these past few blogs. No wonder half my family lives in BC! The place is gorgeous...it's putting thoughts in my head. I always thought Nova Scotia was the be-all, end-all to Canada but I hate to admit it...BC is just as beautiful. Sometimes I think I'll never settle down when I keep coming across such beautiful photos like yours.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays and I hope you and your family have a safe flight back to Germany!

 
At August 25, 2006 11:35 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Glad y'all have been having a great time. Have a safe trip home!

 
At August 26, 2006 8:24 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Looks like such a beautiful corner of Canada! We'll have to visit BC some day. Enjoy the rest of your time there :-)

 
At August 26, 2006 10:30 AM, Blogger mar said...

Great pics, awsome landscape! ENJOY your stay, nobody can take that away from you. And have a safe trip back home.

 
At August 27, 2006 2:10 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Loved that sunset lake picture!

 
At August 27, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger woman wandering said...

I popped in today only to realise that you're probably on your way home.

Welcome Home ... ! :)

 
At August 27, 2006 4:54 PM, Blogger hexe said...

Hope you had a smooth trip home. I completely understand how hard it is to focus on the time you have at home versus countng down the days you have left. I know that when I fly back to Florida after a visit home, I feel as though I'm leaving a part of me behind. I'm sure it must be even harder being so much further than home. Welcome back hugs and smiles.

 
At August 28, 2006 4:14 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

The views were spectacular there and I totally recognized your pics. We loved the cultural center also.

And welcome back to Germany. Hope your trip went well!

 
At August 28, 2006 7:22 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Great pictures!

What a wonderful vacation you are having :-)

 
At August 28, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Lovely photos, Christina. I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey back to Germany. Take Care. xo

 
At August 28, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

As I write this I'm guessing you have actually arrived home in Hannover. I say "in Hannover" because I know you have just left home! My heart feels for you in this place of between here and there. This post is but an indication of how full your heart has been these last days and weeks. Such wonderful memories. A tear and a smile.

 
At August 29, 2006 1:51 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

What a lovely area to go!! I love it up there!!
Looks and sounds like your time in Canada has been better than mine.
Glad your vacation has gone wonderful!!
Hugs
Andrea

 
At August 29, 2006 2:38 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Sounds like you all are having a wonderful time! The pictures are beautiful. Hope you had a safe flight back and have had the chance to flight off the jet lag.
Welcome home!
Cyn

 
At August 29, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger J said...

welcome home

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.