Friday, July 07, 2006

sweet sixteen, kind of

As of today, I have been living in This Place (as I like to call it) for 16 years. 16 years, people. That's a long, long time. Much too long if you ask me, but you didn't, so I will remain quiet.

We got married in Vancouver in 1990, 75 guests on my side, 4 on his. 5 days later we flew to Guernsey (visit the Tomato Museum, you won't regret it!), one of the Channel Islands, for a two week honeymoon. Next stop was Hannover, Germany. The 40 cardboard boxes with all my wordly possessions arrived a couple of months later and I had a LOT of unpacking to do. Thinking back I'm not sure I can recommend getting married and moving to a foreign country all in the space of about three weeks, but things worked out all right for the most part.

Someone else also celebrated her 16th this week. S., Mr. M's goddaughter, turned 16 on Wednesday and were were invited to join in on the festivities. When I arrived in Gemany she was only two days old and now she's a beautiful young woman. Time truly does fly. This year her heart's desire was 1) a 125cc motorcycle and/or 2) a chihuahua. Heh. Every parent's dream. We contributed accordingly.

Anyway, I haven't been writing much this week because it's has been too damn hot to even move, much less fire up the old brain cells. On Wednesday, as the temperature shot up to 32°C (almost 90°F), I had to hang out in the frozen food section of the supermarket for quite a while just to get some relief. The kids had gone to the annual Schützenfest with their Oma in the afternoon and we had to drive downtown to pick them up before we went to the birthday party so we were all drenched by the time we got there. For the past couple of days the temperature has been a bit more reasonable but hot weather and no air conditioning just isn't my bag at all. As many expats will tell you, you don't move to Germany for the climate.

Stay tuned for my next post because it's Cherry Pickin' Time in the Mausi neigbhourhood! One of our immediate neighbours, and elderly countess, is at her summer residence in Spain right now but the cherries must be picked nonetheless. Mr. M and our duplex neighbour are going to get out the ladder and go for it either today or tomorrow. Pictures and cherry pie to follow.

19 Comments:

At July 07, 2006 2:42 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

We have cherries in our yard, and they too, are nearly ready, but I'm looking at the 15th. Then it's cherry jam time,cherry pie time and cherry bread time! Yes, we have that many!
PS: I went to my closest German Deli yesterday (80 miles) and filled a cooler with good german goodies!

 
At July 07, 2006 5:53 PM, Anonymous tobias said...

At my parents' place, there were always rhubarbs and berries to pick, no matter how hot it got. Now I live in a city, and efficiently avoid any such activities. Nice to hear it is too hot elsewhere as well...

 
At July 07, 2006 7:06 PM, Blogger swissmiss said...

It's cherry time here, too, but I think no picking for us this year. But pie I could do.

Sixteen years - there should be an award of some kind. Having a goddaughter of the same age as your residency must be such a visible marker of the passage of time. I can see how that would work out both for good and less than good...

 
At July 08, 2006 12:19 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

Sixteen years seems like such a long time but I'm nearly at nine years so my hitting sixteen will be here before I know it.

Mmmm..fresh cherry pie...

 
At July 08, 2006 2:50 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Another sweet sixteen. Congratulations, I guess! Now I know why we're not in Hannover right now. UGH. Thinking of that heat on our 4th floor without a/c makes me glad we're here in Atlanta. However, Donica will be there on Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Hopefully it'll be cooler by then!

 
At July 08, 2006 9:29 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'll be celebrating my 22nd year in Switzerland at the end of July! Can you believe it?

Mmmm. Can't wait to see the cherry pie! (... to which I'm sure you add a little recipe :)

 
At July 08, 2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Pardon My French said...

That sure was brave of you to move 3 weeks after your wedding! Dear Lord! We moved about 6 months after getting married; otherwise I don't think I would have been able to survive the stress of the wedding and of the move.

You have an elderly countess as a neighbor?! That sounds so cool. I have romantic visions of her inviting you over for tea and cake and showing you her jewerly, but real life is so seldom like that.

 
At July 08, 2006 2:38 PM, Blogger euro-trac said...

I soooo want to visit the
Tomato Museum!
I didn't know there was one. Cool....

 
At July 08, 2006 9:52 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

I am glad that I'm not the only person who lingers in frozen food section of the supermarket during very hot weather! :)

 
At July 08, 2006 11:25 PM, Blogger April said...

ohhh, cherry picking!! i love cherries. wait, just let me get my shoes... :)

 
At July 09, 2006 9:25 AM, Blogger Calamity Tat said...

Congrats on 16 years Christine, I love this "I had to hang out in the frozen food section of the supermarket" hahaha... I hang out there just for fun such is my life....

 
At July 09, 2006 11:54 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Hehehe Canadian wimp! ;-)

This heat wave is like springtime in North Carolina! Of course, I had air conditioning there... I also had screens on the windows... but that's a rant for another day.

 
At July 10, 2006 3:35 PM, Blogger christina said...

maribeth - You must REALLY like German goodies to drive 80 miles for them. :-) I know my dad (he's Austrian, actually) loves his German stuff, but luckily it's easy to get in Vancouver)

tobias - I just supervise the harvest and make the men do all the work!

swissmiss - Yes, I definitely think I should get the Inertia Award. :-) Watching our friends' daughter grow up really has been amazing but it makes us feel really, really old...

Dixie - You'll be there in the blink of an eye, my dear. The time goes SO fast.

Ginnie - Yes, thank goodness you're not here right now - It is just SO hot. Luckily the house stays cool enough if we air it out in the morning and then close the windows and blinds. It's going outside that really gets you.

CanadianSwiss - Wow, 22 years! People will be amazed at the stories you'll tell when you move back.

pardon my french - Yep, it was just a teensy bit stressful packing everything up. I had a lot of help though so we survived. The countess is nice enough, actually, but she mostly ignores us. I guess we're just not fancy enough. :-)

trac - I just checked and it looks like the tomato museum is GONE! What a pity - it was so interesting. They even had tomato wine.

haddock - Had to keep myself from jumping righ in there between the boxes of frozen peas!

april - Thanks for visiting. You can come on over any time.

Tat - Thanks! Oh yes, frozen food is so very interesting even if it's not hot out. You never know what you'll find in there especially in a foreign country.

Christina - I know, I know. :-) Where I come from we didn't even need air conditioning so this humidity is just killing me. Gotta whine about something. :-)

 
At July 10, 2006 3:44 PM, Anonymous tobias said...

But seriously, have you been equally homesick the entire time you lived in Germany? And isn't that stressful?
I wish I had someone who would harvest stuff for me as well, but I guess we can't all be lucky...

 
At July 10, 2006 3:54 PM, Blogger J said...

Congrats on 16 years, that reallly is a long time.

You won't hear me complaing about this weather, I love it!

 
At July 10, 2006 6:51 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

They're amazed at the stories whenever I'm there on vacation!

 
At July 10, 2006 9:37 PM, Blogger Lilian said...

Wow, SIXTEEN years!! It is a lot. That'll be us in 6 more years... I imagine it wasn't easy getting married and moving to another country in 3 weeks, but at least from where you are today, it looks like it turned out OK ;)

Oh, and your "expatriate" anniversary coincides with my birthday :)

 
At July 14, 2006 4:24 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

I swear the heat sucks the creativity & drive out of just about everyone. I can't wait for the first cold snap (how far off is that anyway?)and the return of my sense of humor.

 
At July 14, 2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Wow! Happy expativersary! 16 years ... and I was happy for surviving my first :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.