Thursday, July 13, 2006

pick me! pick me!

You want pie? I'll give you pie. But first a few cherry picking pictures from last weekend.

As I mentioned, our neighbour the Countess is getting on in years and prefers to spend her summers at her finca in Spain rather than hang around with the rest of us peasants. And no, she has never invited us over for tea. She's pleasant enough, but mostly she just ignores us. Her husband, the Count (who was actually a lawyer) passed away a couple of years ago, but she still maintains the big house they lived in for several decades and has a beautiful garden with a couple of large cherry trees. So we and our other neighbours are allowed to pick as many cherries as we please and leave the rest for the birds.

Judging by their colour, I'm assuming that these must be Napoleon cherries, also called Royal Ann in other parts of the world.






They range from pale yellow with a light red blush to pure red and are quite sweet but don't have all that much flavour or aroma. However beggars can't be choosers and it's very nice of the Countess to let us and our other neighbour tramp around on her property while she's gone.


Mr M had to get out his longest ladder to reach the best fruit.




Now, these cherries are not even close to being good pie cherries, but you know me, I'll try anything once, so I made a pie, and the pie was good. Not great, and certainly not pretty (check out those wrinkles!), but good enough. I followed this recipe in a vague, improvisational sort of way, because that's the way I like to cook. I must say, though, that the directions for the lattice crust (I also used a different crust recipe) were so clear and simple that I'm wondering why I never tried to make one before.




3.14159 for everyone!

17 Comments:

At July 13, 2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

We have Lapin Cherries and we picked them all. Today we will make our first batch of cherry preserve. I'm sending you a picture of our cherries!

 
At July 13, 2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

The pie looks yummy to me despite the wrinkles. :-)

 
At July 13, 2006 4:19 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Wrinkly pie is OK with me.

 
At July 13, 2006 4:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

MMMM!! I could go for a piece right now. Delic!

 
At July 13, 2006 6:37 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Ohhhh. How wonderful, Christina. (BTW, are those YOUR legs at the top of the ladder or one of the boys'?) The wrinkles, of course, just give it more personality :)

 
At July 13, 2006 6:45 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Looks like it's cooking blog time ;-). Mmm. I love cherry pie! With or without wrinkles!

 
At July 13, 2006 10:15 PM, Blogger lily b said...

It's cherry picking time here, too. We have a dark purple variety and they don't get huge but they're pretty tasty.

So, did you use pi to figure out just how big a piece we should all be expecting in the mail? ;-)

 
At July 13, 2006 10:33 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I know just what yard you're talking about!

That's one pretty pie! Hope it tastes as good as it looks!

 
At July 14, 2006 12:53 PM, Anonymous tobias said...

Aaah, cherries! Wonderful! I can feel the scent all the way to Finland!
But my grandmother never made cherry pie, she made a soup universally referred to as "spit soup", which sounds atrocious, but refers to the fact that the cherries still had the stones in them and you had to spit them out while eating. Very fun, and I tickling sensation of being told to do something forbidden... And extremely tasty, too!
Cherries are heaven sent!

 
At July 14, 2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Philip said...

omg those look so good! would you feed me cherries, one by one?

 
At July 14, 2006 7:37 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Oh yum, Those look delish!n

 
At July 14, 2006 7:45 PM, Blogger mar said...

Mmmmm, it looks delicious! I am a lousy cook, that's why I collect recipes and love it when you have a new one :) happy day!

 
At July 14, 2006 11:36 PM, Blogger christina said...

maribeth- Got the picture. Thanks!

Ginnie - Those are Mr. M's shapely legs! No way anyone's getting me up on that ladder. I like to delegate this kind of job. And wrinkles defintely add character to people, but I don't know about the cherries. :-)

CanadianSwiss- Every once in a while we just get the urge, don't we?

lilyb - Pi and pie - it's all the same to me. :-)

dixie - Yes! You've seen it. Don't know if Frau Gräfin was home then.

tobias - Sounds like your grandmother had a good sense of homour. Cold cherry soup is popular here too, but I think they take the pits out first!

Philip - But of course, my dear. I'll even peel you some grapes if you want.

Mar - Can't believe that you're a lousy cook!

 
At July 15, 2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

wow! Those look incredible. We had the red red cherries while on our short vacation and thinking of you as you will be here shortly too. :)

 
At July 15, 2006 10:52 PM, Anonymous Lisa said...

Those cherries look very depressed in their "after" picture. I think it's time to put them out of their misery so if you'll please mail me a piece I'll gladly do my part. I'm just compassionate like that. ;)

(p.s. You had some oven baked veggies pictured on this blog once, with herbs and olive oil. I served them up last night to rave reviews. They were excellent and smelled wonderful as they cooked. Thanks a bunch for the idea!)

 
At July 17, 2006 3:44 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Those cherries looked wonderfully delicious before the pie. But I'd be willing to try the pie anyway despite the looks of wrinkled cherries. Food doesn't have to look pretty to taste pretty. :)

 
At July 17, 2006 6:11 AM, Blogger meredith said...

Ha, how I love Pi.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.