Tuesday, June 06, 2006

living proof that women can't read maps

Well, OK, make that living proof that I can't read maps evidenced by me not having a clue where I was going on Saturday afternoon when I was showing J around Hannover. I can do many things, but differentiating between north and south is not one of them.

I swear I have never seen so many people downtown in my entire time here. It was Pfingsten (Whitsun), a public and religious holiday here so there were many travelers coming and going, along with what looked like numerous soccer fans hanging around and waving the flags of unidentified nations (I'm not so great at geography either!)

Anway, right after I met J outside the train station on Saturday afternoon, a funny thing happened. J wanted to drop off his stuff at his hotel so we went off to find it. We sort of knew the general direction, which was somewhere behind the station, so after consulting a map, we found the right street. As we were walking down that street, chatting and minding our own business, we passed by a woman who was waiting on the corner. I didn't really give her any notice, but after we'd walked a few paces, I hear this voice behind me saying "Frau Mausi??" and I turn around to see that it's Boy13's history teacher! Weird! Feeling that an explanation is in order I say something stupid like "Oh, this is my friend from Darmstadt (J corrects me here because he's NOT from Darmstadt)...no, wait...from Koblenz. He's American and we're on our way to his hotel." When I got home and told Boy13, he thought it was hilarious.

Soo...we started our tour at the red line at the tourist office and saw most of Hannover's fabulous sights - three very old churches, the new city hall, the opera house etc etc. It was when we got to the Altstadt (the 'old town) that we (I) got hopelessly lost and went around in circles for a bit until we found our way back downtown. Good thing that J has some sense of direction, 'cause I sure don't and it had been years since I'd taken a tour of the city. After much talk of sore feet we stopped in for a drink at the Holländische Kakaostube where I also went with Jen and Ginnie, and then we had dinner at Henry's, the burger place Jen and I ate at the last time she was in Hannover. There's something to be said for consistency.

In between seeing the sights and eating, J picked up about a year's supply of Mexican food ingredients in the international section of a supermarket in one of the larger department stores. One more point for Hannover.

J took lots of pictures, which I'm sure he'll post when exam stress is over. Someone in the comments on my previous post mentioned that they'd never seen a picture of J and you know what? I think J prefers to travel incognito and wants to remain an International Man of Mystery, for now, at least. And you never know, he might just be a CIA agent and we wouldn't want to blow his cover, would we?

After dinner I walked back to the train station with J and I'm assuming he found his hotel again from there with no trouble. I hopped on the bus and went home to my family where I whined about my aching feet for the rest of the evening.

9 Comments:

At June 06, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

So are you saying that you know the Hannover Altstadt inside out? Sounds like you had a great day (minus the aching feet) ;-)

 
At June 06, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Yes sounds fun to me, but I understand that walking lots does that, especially if you get a bit lost! happy 6/6/06 :)

 
At June 06, 2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Sounds like you both had a good time. I'm surprised with that ammount of walking that J didn't take his bike! :)

 
At June 06, 2006 10:23 PM, Blogger J said...

Thanks again for the tour. I have a bad habit of walking people's feet off. I just can't get enough of sightseeing. You should have just told that lady that you and your friend were going to his hotel..lol...then you could have seen how fast actually does get around there.

haddock, it was in Cologne waiting for me for Monday. I tried to get it to Hannover so that it didn't have to spend a couple days locked around a lightpost near the Cologne Hbf, but couldn't get a Sparpreisse when I clicked the 'bike carriage' button on the website.

 
At June 06, 2006 10:24 PM, Blogger J said...

Oh, and a year's supply of Mex things? Ha! Try about four weeks (at the most).

 
At June 06, 2006 10:40 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hehehe, sounds like fun: Getting lost in Hannover.

Yes, I've always wonder about J's identity, but I think that it's up to him to reveal or conceal it as he pleases. :-)

 
At June 06, 2006 11:10 PM, Blogger christina said...

CS - Well, after seeing the same fountain four times in a row I think I have an in depth knowledge of the Altstadt! Maybe I should become a tour guide. NOT. :-)

expat- I think I need to invest in a pair of good walking shoes.

haddock - As J says, he would have if they'd let him without charging him and arm and a leg.

J - No problem, I love walking but my feet just don't seem to be cooperating these days. Yeah, I bet Boy13's teacher is telling everyone "Guess what? I saw Boy13's mom with some guy behind the train station on Saturday!"

And I was only kidding about the years suppy of Mex food. I know you'll plow through that in not time, but at least your got your fix for a while.

Elemm - Well, if you come to the meet up in the fall you can see for yourself what J is like. :-)

 
At June 07, 2006 3:39 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

Sounds like you did a lot of sightseeing. Sometimes it's even fun to get temporarily lost. ;)

 
At June 07, 2006 7:15 AM, Blogger mar said...

It's always so much fun to read about this, Frau Mausi (I had to giggle when I first read it and thought somebody from the blogosphere had recognized you out in the street...!) I am lost without a map, and I get lost even if I have one so I can relate. Get a good pair of walking shoes, it really pays off. Mine aren't nice looking, but I can walk non-stop 3 days in a row without getting sore feet. Now we only need something against tired feet...!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.