Wednesday, June 07, 2006

hope is a thing with feathers...

I was quite busy on the long weekend, visiting with friends on both Saturday and Monday, but in between I had time to get out into the garden, and on Sunday we discovered that our baby birds had started leaving their nesting box and were now hopping around in the flowerbeds, learning how to fly. We have no idea how many there were, they disappeared so fast, but I've heard them calling to each other in the trees so I know they must be out there somewhere. Surely they'll come back and visit some time.

We managed to capture this little one on film before he took off on his adventures.



Fluffy flies the coop!


And this morning I found a poem to go with the picture...


Hope is a thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings a tune without words
And never stops at all.

And sweetest, in the gale, is heard
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That keeps so many warm.

I’ve heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea
Yet, never, in extremity
It ask a crumb of me.

Emily Dickinson

12 Comments:

At June 07, 2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I'm first! I'm first!!!!!

Awwwwww...baby birds leaving their nest! Nice shot!

 
At June 08, 2006 6:24 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

Hope they stay around, they are good at eating aphid eggs! :)

 
At June 08, 2006 7:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Aww - absolutely adorably cute :-))
Thanks for sharing that with us!

 
At June 08, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Ohhhhh.... such a cute little one. That pict just made me smile. Thank you ;-)

 
At June 08, 2006 1:05 PM, Anonymous Nori said...

It is cuddlesome!! Cute!! Lovely!! Well....well...Very sweeeet!! Is she (he?) pretty tense to striking a pose? ;)

Nori

 
At June 08, 2006 1:53 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

How cute! I want one!

 
At June 08, 2006 1:55 PM, Blogger Berlinbound said...

I had a dream last night and in it I was surrounded by little birds, and they rested on my arms and settled into my out-stretched hands ...

Peace ...

Richard

 
At June 08, 2006 5:25 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

so cute! I love the photo.

 
At June 08, 2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Philip said...

My cat would like that one . . .

 
At June 09, 2006 9:57 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

How come the babies of all "breeds" are so adorable! And Emily Dickinson! Oh my. She always knew how to write a poem. Thanks for including her.

 
At June 09, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Your bird and poem made my day a couple days ago, but Blogger wouldn't let me comment then. It still makes my day. :)

I'm watching Germany play Costa Rica in the World Cup! I'm so excited because usually it's hard to get soccer (excuse me, "football") games here in the U.S. The channel Univision, which is a Spanish-language station, is broadcasting the games (and some will be on the English-language networks). Good thing I speak Spanish!

 
At June 13, 2006 8:14 AM, Blogger traveller one said...

Ooooh baby tit and Emily together in the same post! How lovely :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.