Monday, May 08, 2006

fragile: handle with care

Oh yes, you probably all thought I was off having a good time this weekend and had no time to post. Well, what happened was not my idea of a good time at all.

The weekend started off just fine - we went to our friends' house for a barbeque and ate lots of pork. Nothing unusual there. Our friend T built himself a nice grill out of an old washing machine drum. The machines here are usually top loaders and have a perforated drum rather than an agitator so he used that as the base of the grill and then hung the round grill rack from chains attached to a triangular frame so it swings back and forth over the the coals.

So that was great, but on Saturday morning I woke up with a really sore left shoulder and could hardly move my arm all day. No idea how that happened, I must have strained something somewhere. But that wasn't the worst of it. The real fun started when I went down to the basement on Saturday afternoon.

We have these metal utility shelves in our laundry room and two of them are pushed into a cornert in an L-shape. On one side we keep paper products, extra dishwashing tabs, detergent etc and on the other side...light bulbs, lots and lots of lightbulbs. Mr. M's idea, not mine - I've always hated the way they were all crammed into these shallow plastic crates that stuck out way beyond the edges of the shelving. This has been a bone of contention between us for a long time and I wanted those things out of there as soon as possilbe. I especially hated the long neon light tube that was just lying on top of the rest of the bulbs. I hate it even more now.

See, I was preparing dinner and ran down the basement to get some more paper towels, and without thinking I bent down really fast to reach the bottom shelf and suddenly felt this searing pain in my forehead just at my hair line. Totally stunned I grab my head and look up to see that that stupid neon tube had reached out to attack me with the little metal prongs it has on each end. I look at my hand and notice I'm bleeding. The sight of blood doesn't faze me at all and I have a pretty high pain threshold, but somehow this really got to me and I started sobbing really loudly, sending the kids running to see what was wrong.

When I got up to the bathroom I took a look and saw that I had blood running down my forehead. Nice. I'm shaking by this time, partly because of the pain, but mostly because I'm so damn angry, at myself and at certain other people who didn't have the foresight to see that this kind of thing could be dangerous. Took a whole hour to get a mumbled apology, too. Men.

The bleeding stopped fairly quickly and the punctures are not that big. If you didn't know any better, you might think I had been bitten by a very small vampire. But it's still swollen and hurts like the dickens. I have put any kind of facial expression on hold for now for fear that my head will crack open.

And just to add insult to injury, yesterday morning I woke up with a killer sore throat, the beginnings of a cold that I had obviously caught from Boy10 who had been sniffling since Thursday. Thank you SO much.

So...my shoulder hurts, my head hurts and I have a mother of a head cold. I have a feeling this week isn't going to be one of my best. Now where did I put that ibuprofen?

31 Comments:

At May 08, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

Just ibuproferin??????
How about some chocolate or spirits??
something more to dull the pain...ooh not a fun weekend!
take care, and eat as much sweets and treats as you like..ordered by dr. kim

 
At May 08, 2006 9:46 AM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks, Dr. Kim! Good advice - achocolate martini would probably go down really well right now. :-)

 
At May 08, 2006 9:51 AM, Blogger Andrea W said...

Ouch! We (somehow) brought all our lightbulbs from the US to Germany. Uhh, not going to need them dear! Hope you feel better soon.

 
At May 08, 2006 11:02 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Aw, you poor thing. I'm so sorry the lightbulb hit you and you're sick. :( It's true, though, I visited your blog yesterday quite a few times and was certain you were out somewhere having a stunning day. Sorry to hear that wasn't the case. Hope you feel better very soon. (thanks for the encouragement in the face of the "losers")

 
At May 08, 2006 11:38 AM, Blogger mar said...

Oh, dear, it can only get better! Hope it does very soon!

 
At May 08, 2006 11:50 AM, Blogger wendy said...

Aaah - that sucks. Really. Husbands. Tut!

You have clearly hit the low spot of the week and it WILL get better and better. Just go and do what Kim said.

*hugs*

 
At May 08, 2006 11:52 AM, Anonymous Franzie said...

Auuuuaaaa!!! Sounds like you need something really strong. I'm with Kim on this one: loads of chocolates and other yummy things to make you feel better. Hope you do feel better soon!!

 
At May 08, 2006 12:12 PM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks, guys! I ate a chocolate Easter bunny just moments ago and and feeling muuuuch better already. :-)

 
At May 08, 2006 12:24 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

As someone who doesn't drink alcohol I would never recommend it as a cure. However it sounds like you had one helluva weekend and could use much more than a martini :|

Hope you get to feeling better soon Christina! :D

 
At May 08, 2006 12:39 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Oh dear, that's a bummer weekend and not a good start to the week. But it can only get better, right?Hope you feel better soon.

 
At May 08, 2006 2:11 PM, Anonymous lillian said...

what a way to start the week. You poor thing. Stay in bed till your husband has cleared out the storage :-)

 
At May 08, 2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Last weekend in the Americas, we celebrated Cinco de Mayo... I had a delicioso margarita. That's Dr. Angie's prescription! (Although if you have a cold, maybe you should stick to tea. In any case, feel better fast!)

 
At May 08, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger christina said...

belinda - I rarely drink but I figure the martini couldn't make me feel any worse! :-)

canadianswiss - Thanks, I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be all better again.

lilian- Believe me, that could take years. :-) But the light bulbs have been banished to his workshop.

Angie - Thanks, Angie! I bet a nice margarita would make me forget a lot of things. But the question is how would I feel the next morning? :-)

 
At May 08, 2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I do hope you feel better. If it makes you feel you weren't the only one, my weekend was spent feeling sick all weekend! A quick flu bug or something crapy like that.

 
At May 08, 2006 5:31 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I must say I laughed a LOT about the thought of a chocolate martini and hope just the thought of it made you laugh as well. What was it with this past weekend?! I banged my ankle against something metal and have been wincing over it ever since, even after lots of ice. Hopefully it's not a Gemini thing? Well, Ms. Humpty-Dumpty. I'm glad you got the bandaid to work. Now we can look forward to a spectacular week, right!?!

 
At May 08, 2006 7:29 PM, Blogger traveller one said...

**sending you virtual kinder-eggs and advil**

 
At May 08, 2006 8:27 PM, Blogger J said...

Now's your chance, Christina! Play up the 'remember the light' thing and get him to relocate some of the other stuff you've wanted him to move for years. Use the, 'But honey, I might get hurt on it like I did the light' card!

Glad to read you're feeling better. Blogging was slow this weekend and I figured it was because everybody was out enjoying the sun.

 
At May 08, 2006 8:34 PM, Blogger Betsy said...

Feel better, Christina!

 
At May 09, 2006 2:12 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your accident! And a cold on top of it all.. Take care.

 
At May 09, 2006 7:04 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Throw that neon bulb into the trash, just for punishment ;-)

Get better soon, Christina.

 
At May 09, 2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Alison said...

Yikes! Boys are dumb... Andrew makes Marvelous Chocolate Martinis (with a hint of mint if you like) we could drive to Germany and make you one :) I also agree with J that at least you can milk the 'lightbulb incedent' for years to come :)

 
At May 09, 2006 1:05 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Well, they say all bad things come in threes, so the good news is you're out of your 'bad' cycle.

 
At May 09, 2006 1:07 PM, Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Oh you poor love! You need to get on over to mr nice guy's blog (http://bonnehomme.blogspot.com) and read about his plans for his daughter's first birthday party! But hold your face in the neutral position when you start laughing!

 
At May 09, 2006 7:55 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Ok, you beat my crappy weekend! So sorry to hear you had such a tough time. The thing about heads is that they bleed like crazy! I never have a problem seeing OTHER peoples blood, but get a little dizzy at watching my own.

Hope you are feeling better soon and for goodness sake, get something better than IB's!
Cyn

 
At May 09, 2006 8:33 PM, Blogger Philip said...

Hope you are recovering . . .

 
At May 09, 2006 10:54 PM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks for all your kind (and funny!) comments, you guys. I'm feeling much better and will be getting back to regularily scheduled blogging tomorrow.

 
At May 10, 2006 12:08 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

Glad you are feeling better. If it is any consolation, you've provided a public service. My first thought when I read this was, "Poor woman!" Second thought was, "What traps have I set around here in the thousands of stacks of stuff we guys accumulate for that one day when we need one of something???"

 
At May 10, 2006 12:50 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

Poor thing! I'd have freaked out over a bleeding head!

 
At May 10, 2006 3:56 AM, Blogger Lilian said...

Oh my, what a weekend!! I'd be truly mad as well.

 
At May 10, 2006 10:29 AM, Anonymous lydia said...

hello Chritina, thanks for the comment on my blog, of course i would love to meet up. If you are up for it e mail me liddi78@yahoo.co.uk

I have to practice my english :(

 
At May 10, 2006 11:04 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Hi!! I am so sorry you got hurt and feel sick, but I still gotta giggle inside about it. I hope by the time you read this you are feeling better and are able to giggle about it too. Dont be too hard on hubby, if he is anything like me the thought of blood and tears coming from his wifes head should be painfull enough punishment. Get well soon!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.