Wednesday, May 24, 2006

everyone knows the Dutch have the best grass

Big excitement at the FIFA World Cup Stadium in Hannover yesterday as the new grass brought in especially for the World Cup 2006 matches was rolled out. Only 16 more days to go! Do I care? Well, not that much, but you can sort of feel the energy in the air. As someone who doesn't have tickets, I'm sure I'll be glued to the TV like everyone else, especially near the end of the championship. Lucky bloggers Ginnie and Claire will both be attending games in Hannover, and James and Greenhaddock have snagged tickets for other locations.

The grass, which took a year to cultivate and will be used in 7 out of 12 of Germany's World Cup stadiums, comes from Holland. It will be (or has already been - I'm not quite sure) installed in locations ranging from Dortmund, only 90 minutes away from the Netherlands, to Munich, which is a nine-hour journey during which the grass must be kept cool at all times.

Apparently some Germans were a bit upset at the prospect of having Dutch grass on German soil. This discomfort stems from the intense rivalry between German and Dutch football teams and fans. I'm sure they'll get over it though when the fun starts.

Here's the schedule in Hannover in case anyone's interested.

12-Jun-06 ITALY:GHANA
16-Jun-06 MEXICO:ANGOLA
20-Jun-06 CROATIA:POLAND
23-Jun-06 SWITZERLAND:KOREA
27-Jun-06 1H:2G


Real German grass direct from my garden says, "Hey, what am I? Chopped liver?"

9 Comments:

At May 24, 2006 6:05 PM, Blogger GC PHILO said...

German grass is too over-rated anyway. I'm glad they got some of that humble Dutch grass. It's a valuable lesson for us all.

 
At May 24, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Donica laughed when I read this out loud to her. Since she goes back-n-forth between Hannover and Amsterdam, she's quite aware of the rivalries. In fact, when I was with her in Amsterdam almost 8 years ago, our hosts were up in arms when I nonchalantly mentioned how similar the Dutch language is to German. OMG! Ginnie put her foot in her mouth on that one and will never make that mistake again!

Thanks for such interesting news...and for the Hannover schedule. I didn't realize that our game is the first one here. I feel so lucky (I actually feel guilty since there are so many others who should probably go in my place!).

 
At May 24, 2006 11:26 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Don't feel guilty, Ginnie...just go and report back on all the fun!

Dutch grass, German grass...it's all the same as long as it's grass that makes my favorite teams win!

 
At May 25, 2006 3:10 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

I had no idea the games were scheduled to be played in Hannover. Small world. World Cup fever is in full swing here, so I bought my son one of the red Korea soccer shirts that all the kids are wearing.

Are you going to attend any of the games?

 
At May 25, 2006 6:41 AM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

lol - love your grass and yes I'm just as jealous as you about the people attending the games! ;-)

 
At May 25, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

Rollrasen is slowly becoming the 'in' thing. We bought ours in Germany but it ws hard to find and came from 150km away. Perhaps the quality of the dutch stuff is top notch. The only games of football in our back garden are between me and the Juniorette! :)

 
At May 25, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Claire said...

hehehe! We watched a special on TV about the dutch grass. I was perplexed. I had no idea that FIFA had such strict rules about the grass. The German thought it seemed pretty normal, but he does not think much off the Dutch soccer team.

 
At May 25, 2006 3:10 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

As long as they don't start smoking the stuff.... Hehe.

 
At May 28, 2006 1:24 AM, Blogger christina said...

gc philo - well, I had a feeling you'd know ALL about grass. ;-)

Ginnie - oh, no, no, no! One must never tell either the Dutch or the Germans that they have anything in common. :-)

Dixie - It's going to be an exciting time. Hopefully all your soccer boyfriends will do well.

Sandra - I have no idea how any of the cities got picked for games - I guess they had to put in bids or something. We don't have ticktes, but will be able to watch all the games on pay TV.

Expat - We're not really that into soccer, but attending a game in this context would be great.

haddock - I believe this company is now specialized in growing Rollrasen specifically for stadiums and it's supposed to be very high quality.

Claire - I think they wanted the grass at each stadium to be exactly the same (even though only 7 stadiums are getting this grass - hmmm) to assure all teams and equal chance of winning. Or something. :-)

Canadian Swiss - now that would be interesting!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.