Wednesday, April 05, 2006

tote that barge, lift that bale

No time for pretty pictures and witty banter today - I'm workin'. Getting a new fridge brought about a whole bunch of other changes around here.

As of last week, we no longer have a pass-through from the kitchen to the dining room. Mr. M closed it up, wallpapering and painting over it in anticipation of the kitchen being rearranged. So the dining room looks muuuuch better. Except for the moldings which we bought in a rush when we moved in here. Sort of a desperate cop-out that I never really liked. All of a sudden, after almost 11 years (and believe me, that IS sudden for him) Mr. M noticed this ugliness and decided to go out and get decent moldings and install them in the dining and living rooms for a start, getting to the rest of house later. This is where my actually having to work comes in.

We have this big heavy cupboard thingie in the dining room FULL of dining room stuff, you know - china, glasses, cutlery, platters, cheese boards, serviettes, candles, bottle openers, nutcrackers, chopsticks, fondue pots, salad bowls, and a coffee service for 12 people kindly given to us by Mr. M's grandmother, to name just a few items.

It's my job today to get everything out of the cupboard so Mr. M can move it and install the moldings this afternoon.

Am I finished? Not quite. Will I get finished? I guess so, but I also kind of wanted to go out and get groceries, like, right now even though the the busy bee will be home in about 45 minutes. What to do, what to do?

Stop blogging (for now!), that's what!

16 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 4:13 PM, Blogger Mike B said...

I know what our parents would have done ... put the kids to work!

 
At April 05, 2006 4:31 PM, Anonymous Belinda said...

my place is going to go through various stages of decluttering over the next few days. we still don't have enough furniture in our new flat for all our junk, that's the biggest issue. ah well, eventually we'll get this sorted out- the trick is to start!

Good luck with your Spring Organising :D

 
At April 05, 2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Tracie B. said...

blogging sounds like way more fun than cleaning out a cupboard!

 
At April 05, 2006 5:48 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Yeah - things are coming together more and more. It musst be exciting...

And yale town - yes it's has totally changed. P lived there for a while but it's basically a yuppy (no very yuppy) part of down town. There are new buildings going up all the time. And you basically can't even buy a one bedroom anymore. But if you want two, it starts at $520K!!!! Out of this world crazy!!!

 
At April 05, 2006 7:57 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Hope you made it (groceries and all). But at least, you'll have a dining room that you like.

Expat - Wow! That's almost worst that Switzerland.

 
At April 05, 2006 8:25 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Sounds like fun...beautifying your home. Anyway, hitting the hay now! Greetings from BKK!

 
At April 05, 2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

You sound like me when I was packing to move. There was nothing like the idea of movers breathing down my neck while I toss things into boxes to get me moving.

 
At April 05, 2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Isn't decorating and that sort of stuff a pain!? - we have stuff to do over Easter :(

 
At April 05, 2006 11:16 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Isn't it amazing how much stuff we collect? As I'm unpacking box after box all I can think is... I don't even use half this crap.

Good luck with your renovation!

 
At April 06, 2006 5:12 AM, Anonymous Franzie said...

Renovations are such hard work but really worth it when you get to enjoy the endresult. So I hope, you'll get there.
With two little children in the house we've always got a good excuse not to do it. And who knows, by they time they're big enough not to be sleeping so much anymore during the day there might be a new baby to serve as an excuse for not renovating :-)
But it sounds like you're past all that so you'd better get on with it, right?!

 
At April 06, 2006 9:54 AM, Blogger Léons Life said...

It's funny when spring arrives we all want to do so much more than during the cold, dark winter months.

Goodluck with all the work.....

 
At April 06, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Ugh. You reminded me. I have to go get started on Spring Cleaning. Blech.

 
At April 06, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Ouch! It sounds like way too much work! Best of luck to ya!

Cyn

 
At April 07, 2006 12:27 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I'm in the same boat here, decorating and stuff, and the biggest thing holding me up is that the trash dumpster is only serviced twice a week. I've gotta like, ration how much stuff I can throw out at a time and it's amazing how much stuff I have that I absolutely don't need.

 
At April 07, 2006 2:42 PM, Anonymous wendi said...

i love to rearrange.

 
At April 07, 2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I was gonna say, like Lisa, that this sounds too much like Spring cleaning!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.