Friday, March 17, 2006

there's a bit o' the Irish in all of us

Top o' the mornin' to you! It's March 17th, St. Patrick's Day.

Many, many years ago, my maternal great-grandparents emigrated from Ireland to Nova Scotia, living there for a while and finally settling in Massachusetts, where my grandfather was eventually born and where several of our relatives still live today.

So you see there actually is a little bit o' the Irish in me and I'm celebrating today with "the wearing o' the green". When I was a child, anyone at home or at school who didn't wear green on St. Paddy's Day got pinched! Ouch.

St. Patrick's Day was originally a Catholic holy day that evolved into a more secular holiday and a celebration of Irish culture. It's an official holiday in Ireland, Montserrat and the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. But that sure doesn't stop people from making it an unofficial holiday elsewhere. The oldest and largest St. Patrick's Day parade is held in New York City and I bet there are celebrations going on at every Irish pub in Germany today as well.

Since I'm not all that keen on green beer, I think I'll make myself one of these later.

Irish Coffee

1 c coffee, freshly brewed
3 sugar cubes
3 tbsp Irish whiskey (1 jigger)

1. Pour coffee into large mug. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add whiskey and stir to combine.
2. Top with whipped cream and serve.

And now I'll give you this to take on your way.

Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the rain fall softly upon your fields.
And the sun shine warm upon your face.
And when you die, may you be in heaven
Half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.




May the luck of the Irish be with all of you today!


19 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 12:18 PM, Blogger EuroTrippen said...

I completely forgot today was St. Patty's day. Time for a wardrobe change.

Oh crap... that means my mother's birthday is tomorrow. I completely forgot about that, too. Yikes!

 
At March 17, 2006 12:35 PM, Blogger christina said...

eurotrippen - I forgot too until I heard it on the radio this morning.

 
At March 17, 2006 12:56 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I didn't think of it either, but had to do a search at work on wiki and then I saw it. But guess what... I'm wearing almost all green today. With my luck, I might just cross a leprechaun and if I don't, maybe a few Irish coffees will make me see one ;-)

 
At March 17, 2006 1:15 PM, Blogger swissmiss said...

I forgot about it and got pinched by a friend - and I'm 25% Irish! (my paternal grandmother). Yeesh.

 
At March 17, 2006 1:50 PM, Anonymous wendi said...

this is my fav holiday :)

 
At March 17, 2006 2:29 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

St. Patrick's is a HUGE deal in Chicago, there are 2 parades in the city, everyone goes out to celebrate, and oh the Chicago River gets dyed green!

 
At March 17, 2006 2:29 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I love that saying. I've never heard it to the end, though. Learn something new everyday. :) I've never had an Irish coffee, either. Think I'll check it out.

 
At March 17, 2006 4:59 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I totally remembered, even tried making a post for you guys who are 9 hours ahead and it wouldn't work. So it's up as I'm up this morning without any coffee.

Oh and the best Irish Coffee I've ever had was this shop next to Ghirdelli Square in SF. It's on the opposite corner and such a riot to go in there.

Yesterday I made P some Irish Chocolate Cake that had dark chocolate flowing out of it. He loved it! But of course I forgot to take a pic!

 
At March 17, 2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Blogger ate my comment...

I'm wearing green, which goes nicely with my pale skin, reddish hair, and Catholicism... but *shh* I'm actually German, not Irish.

And I had two cups of coffee this morning (some Fridays, you need two) but they were lacking a key ingredient -- two jiggers, that is. Darn the work day!

By the way, your blog itself is quite festive! :)

 
At March 17, 2006 6:30 PM, Blogger Tracie B. said...

OH! there's COFFEE in the irish coffee. no wonder they looked at me funny this morning when i had 2 jiggers of irish whisky...

just kiddin'

 
At March 17, 2006 8:10 PM, Blogger mar said...

happy St Paddy's day to you and a happy weekend as well! :¬)

 
At March 17, 2006 11:50 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

Hope it's a happy St. Patrick's weekend for you! Enjoy that Irish coffee!

 
At March 18, 2006 2:48 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

 
At March 18, 2006 7:09 AM, Blogger Karen said...

What a lovely St. Patrick's Day post and thanks for the wonderful Irish Blesing - I love them.

 
At March 18, 2006 8:10 AM, Blogger Calamity Tat said...

Mmm irish coffee, Mmm irish stew

 
At March 18, 2006 4:49 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I forgot to wear something green on that day, but St. Patrick's Day's not big here in Thailand...or I just didn't notice.

 
At March 18, 2006 9:23 PM, Blogger Ginnie said...

I just love that we all seem to have this feeling and connection to the Irish. They're everywhere. Or should I say, WE'RE everywhere. I'm sure I have some % in me as well.

I drink my own version of Irish Cream coffe every morning but adding some Bailey's right about now sounds really good :)

Here's a great Irish
blessing
from my post a year ago that is perfect for us blogger friends. (I was afraid it wouldn't line up right in comments.)

 
At March 20, 2006 3:55 AM, Blogger Tim Rice said...

So, do the Irish ever drink green coffee? I heard about it on a local radio station in Southeastern Pennsylvania. Somehow it's hard for me to imagine green coffee. In the bakery among other things for St. Patrick's Day, we made some green and white checker board cakes and sold them as halves so that the green and white checker board design could be clearly seen. We also sold some green bagels.

 
At March 20, 2006 4:31 AM, Blogger Just another American Expat said...

“there's a bit o' the Irish in all of us”

What? And all this time I thought I was just German/Scottish/with some Cherokee Indian mixed in for good measure.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.