Tuesday, March 07, 2006

news from the hearth

My parents are celebrating their 46th wedding anniversary today and I think they still kind of like each other. 46 years - that's a long time. I asked Mr. M (whose parents will be married 48 years this August) if he could imagine being married to someone for that long and he said "Oh, I don't know. I suppose you get used to it after a while and at some point it really doesn't matter any more." I see. Anyone interested in a slightly used husband?

On the health front, my dear old dad is doing much better. He's not as depressed any more and has been getting out and doing things again. His arm had to be re-broken, but he has his cast off now and is going to physiotherapy to regain full movement so things are looking up.

I also talked to my youngest brother on the phone the other day and found out that his kidney stones were not, in fact, as big as coconuts. Our mother tends to exaggerate at times. If you reduce everything she says by about 2/3 it usually comes out right.

There has also been a change in plans for the summer holidays. We were thinking of heading to southeastern B.C. for a week at a lakeside house, but that was no longer available, so my parents booked a cabin at Ucluelet on the West Coast of Vancouver Island not far from where we stayed two years ago. I am greatly looking forward to this because living close to the ocean is something I dearly miss.

That is all. For now.

18 Comments:

At March 07, 2006 4:24 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

That's good about Your parents! It is special I think, especially these days where divorce is more rampant.

And I'm still thinking there needs to be a stop to meet up with me too! Of course if I am in town also. :)

 
At March 07, 2006 4:55 PM, Blogger PapaScott said...

Serves you right for asking Mr. M such a vague question... "married to someone", indeed. :-)

 
At March 07, 2006 5:48 PM, Blogger christina said...

Expat - Yes, they are still totally devoted to each other. Nice to see. And if you're in Vancouver in July/August we can get together for sure. One of my brothers lives in North Van.

papascott - I should just learn to keep my big mouth shut, shouldn't I? :-)

 
At March 07, 2006 5:53 PM, Blogger Haddock said...

Kindey stones must be kinder then Kidney stones :) - My spelling is terrible as well :)
Glad to hear that your dad is doing better.

 
At March 07, 2006 6:02 PM, Blogger christina said...

Haddock - oops! Thanks. I've changed them back to the nasty kind now. And that was a typo, not a spelling mistake. :-p

 
At March 07, 2006 6:10 PM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Blimey! 40-odd years! That's a long time, good on them!

Loved Mr. M's answer to your question though, how could you ever let him go?

 
At March 07, 2006 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your dad is doing better and that you have some great summer plans in the works!

 
At March 07, 2006 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh happy birthday to your little guy from my little gal, just to think the same day, same age! what time was he born? Bert was born just after 11 in the morning... Wow your parents and parents in law, that're great :-)

 
At March 07, 2006 9:58 PM, Blogger christina said...

He was born at 3:10 a.m. but arrived 8 days late! So many February/March babies around.

 
At March 07, 2006 11:52 PM, Blogger Dixie said...

I think it's brilliant that your folks have been happily married for so long!

 
At March 08, 2006 1:21 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

That anonymous comment was actually me; sorry Christina! I psoted from work and my computer there obviously did not know it was me:)

 
At March 08, 2006 7:29 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

46!! wow good for them, my parents bairly made it to 16. lol!

And your holiday sounds brilliant!! That is the most beautiful area!

 
At March 08, 2006 8:24 AM, Blogger J said...

Gee, nothing like celebrating everything in two weeks! Happy anni, Mom and Pop M!

 
At March 08, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Wow! Congrats to your parents! Good to hear that your dad's doing better now.

 
At March 08, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Thanks for the update on your dad. Good news. Your new vacation spot looks absolutely divine! Wow! You'll never want to leave and come back to Germany.

 
At March 08, 2006 12:00 PM, Blogger christina said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm REALLY happy that my dad is doing OK now.

Ginnie said:"You'll never want to leave and come back to Germany."

Shh!Don't say that too loudly. :-)

Vancouver Island has so much gorgeous scenery it's really hard to not want to stay there forever.

 
At March 08, 2006 9:24 PM, Blogger J said...

Christina, it's really hard to not want to stay anyplace that isn't Germany forever :)

 
At March 09, 2006 5:34 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Glad to hear your Dad's doing well.
Happy anniversary Mr&Mrs Mausi Sr. We'll be in Canada this sumer as well, although on the other "side"

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.