Tuesday, March 28, 2006

my balanced breakfast

Equal parts ice and Diet Pepsi.

Life is good - no doubt about it.

As I was enjoying my (very, very cold!) liquid refreshment this morning, this article from the Daily Om popped up in my gmail inbox and since it was all about balance, I thought I'd share.


Personal Harmony

Like pieces of a puzzle, the many different aspects of your being come together to form the person that you are. You work and play, rest and expend energy, commune with your body and soul, exalt in joy, and feel sorrow. Balance is the state that you achieve when all of the aspects of your life and self are in harmony. Your life force flows in a state of equilibrium because nothing feels out of sync. While balance is necessary to have a satisfying, energetic, and joyful life, only you can determine what balance means to you.

Achieving balance requires that you assess what is important to you. The many demands of modern life can push us to make choices that can put us off balance and have a detrimental effect on our habits, relationships, health, and career. In creating a balanced lifestyle, you must ascertain how much time and energy you are willing to devote to the different areas of your life. To do so, imagine that your life is a house made up of many rooms. Draw this house, give each part of your life its own room, and size each room according to the amount of importance you assign to that aspect of your life. You can include family, solitude, activities that benefit others, healthy eating, indulgences, exercise and working on self. You may discover that certain elements of your life take up an inordinate amount of time, energy, or effort and leave you with few resources to nurture the other aspects of your life. You may want to spend less time on these activities and more on the ones that!
fulfill you.

A balanced lifestyle is simply a state of being in which one has time and energy for obligations and pleasures, as well as time to live well and in a gratifying way. With its many nuances, balance can be a difficult concept to integrate into your life. Living a balanced existence, however, can help you attain a greater sense of happiness, health, and fulfillment.



Something to strive for today...

16 Comments:

At March 28, 2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Just another American Expat said...

Ok...keep rubbing it in!

 
At March 28, 2006 11:28 AM, Blogger christina said...

Duncan - You can tell how fascinating my life must be when I get all excited about a few ice cubes. :-)

 
At March 28, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

well I'm guessing you must not be too cold anymore. :) I'm willing to doubt you won't be having dp and ice next january though!

 
At March 28, 2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Mike B said...

Have you started putting up the fridge magnets?

The Partnerin thought I was joking when I said I wanted the big fridge so I had a place for my fridge magnet collection, but she has warmed to the concept of posting love-notes, calendars, etc. for me to find later in the day.

Gotta go fill an ice-tray now.

 
At March 28, 2006 8:05 PM, Blogger christina said...

Expat - Around our house Pepsi and ice know no seasons. :-)

Mike - Oh yes, fridge magnets have been up since Saturday. Got my husband used to those years ago and he actually buys them now too.

 
At March 28, 2006 9:40 PM, Anonymous J.Doe said...

sounds very balanced to me !

 
At March 28, 2006 9:49 PM, Anonymous Clarity said...

That was exactly what I needed to read today, thanks for posting that!

P.S. I know what you mean about big fridges in Germany! lol. I'm jealous of the fridge you described!:)

 
At March 29, 2006 12:08 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

I hope that one day I have true balance in my life. At least sometime while I can still enjoy it!

I have a built-in-cabinet refrigerator so no place to hang my collection of fridge magnets. As one of my birthday gifts my MIL bought me a metal message board and I hung it in the kitchen and have my magnets there. I don't hang anything with them - just have the magnets for fun.

 
At March 29, 2006 8:59 AM, Blogger christina said...

clarity - I guess we could all use more balance, I know I could!

Dixie - Yeah, I'm pretty lopsided right now too. :-) I kind of like those built in fridges, they give the kitchen such a unified look. But a message board would also be great for magnets.

 
At March 29, 2006 1:02 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

50 Coke / 50 ice seems like a good start to balance things up ;-)

(I thought I wrote that yesterday alredy. Did Blogger eat-up my comment??)

 
At March 29, 2006 1:41 PM, Blogger christina said...

canadianswiss - No Coke. Pepsi! (Did you ever watch Saturday Night Live?)

Yeah, Blogger probably ate your comment - I didn't see it come through yesterday.

 
At March 29, 2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I didnt understand the importance of balance until after my sister died. Now I strive for balance everyday.

And what is with all the ice talk!! I know you have a new fridge but close the door!! I am soooo cold right now!!! Japan is freezing tonight!!!

 
At March 29, 2006 2:28 PM, Blogger christina said...

Andrea - I'm really sorry about your sister and yes, I think sometimes it does take a major upheaval for us to make us take stock of what's really important.

 
At March 29, 2006 2:29 PM, Blogger christina said...

And...what's with the cold Japan? I thought the cherry blossoms were out!

 
At March 29, 2006 8:27 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

There's nothing like an ice cold diet coke to start my day! As far as balance, that's really important to me but way hard to achieve. Finding the time & energy to do everything that needs to be done is illusive and I'm no good at multitasking.

 
At March 30, 2006 1:15 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

Is balance harder for us Geminis who want to do absolutely everything?! Arggh!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.