Friday, March 24, 2006

all this and crushed ice too!

Some time between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Friday, they said. I was up and beautified long before 9. Around 11 the doorbell rang and there they were - the Refrigerator Delivery Guys from MediaMarkt, all ready to bring in our fabulous brand new side-by-side fridge! Wheee!

One guy looks at our front door and says "Gee, do you think it's going to fit through there?" and the other guy says, "I dunno." How reassuring. After whipping out the tape measure, they decided it would. But it didn't.

The first attempt was up 4 steps and through the front door where the fridge promptly got stuck in the entryway and wouldn't budge. They had already removed most of the packaging so there was no more leeway. After inspecting the situation, I told them they'd probably have to go around the back of the house through the garden. After a bit of wiggling and lots of grunting they did manage to get the fridge back outside the door, down the 4 steps, into the back garden, up 4 more steps onto the terrace and through the double doors into the living room. Everyone very sweaty by now. Why they only send two smallish men to deliver a 117 kg refrigerator is beyond me. I wonder if those guys have hernia insurance.

We hadn't planned on having a fridge in the middle of our living room so the next step was getting it through the door into the hallway. Oh, another door. Think it'll fit? Sure, if you take the door off its hinges. More grunting and manoeuvering ensued and just when I thought there was no way that fridge was going to get through, they gave one final shove and...mission accomplished! They were suprisingly cheerful through the whole thing and I gave them a large tip which I'm sure was quickly converted into a couple of large beers at lunchtime.

I guess normal people would first plan their new kitchen (did I mention I'm getting a new kitchen??!!), install the cabinets and then order a fridge and have it delivered. The truth is that we have no clue what we're doing with the kitchen yet, or even where the fridge is going to go, but were were out looking at appliances on Wednesday night, and this baby caught our eye. It was even on sale and I can't tell you how tired I was of chipping away at the iceberg that kept forming on the back wall of our old fridge which we bought in 1992, I think. There is just no saving that sucker.

The new fridge is a Daewoo. Yeah, I know, you thought Daewoo only made cars and electronics equipment, but apparently they also make refrigerators. This one has an ice maker, Mr. M's dream, and something called "nano-silver technology", a marketer's dream. Probably just another gimmick, but it's supposed to kill bacteria and keep food fresh longer. Who knows? The inside of the fridge also seems to be set up more to my liking and I have a feeling I'll actually be able to find stuff more easily. And we chose silver because...silver was all they had. I think I can get used to it though. Take a look.


pretty sexy, eh?

When Mr. M gets home from work this afternoon, he's going to start doing some prelimiary moving of stuff in the kitchen to make room for the shiny giant. This is going to involve shoving the dishwasher over to the left so it's under the sink and moving the boiler somewhere else and all sorts of things I don't really want to think about but will probably have to since I'll be his little helper.

Oh yes, and there's also that little problem of getting the fridge through the kitchen doorway, which is narrower than the other doors. So convenient. Mr. M figures it'll work if we take the fridge doors off first and work as a team. After seeing this morning's performance, I'm not so sure. But I shall try to remain optimistic.

Amazing what lengths people will got to get a little crushed ice.

24 Comments:

At March 24, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

oooo, Fab has been dying to buy one of those American fridges...he fell in love with my mother's a few years back. Too bad the things costs more than we paid for my car!

 
At March 24, 2006 2:34 PM, Anonymous Nori said...

Guten Tag,Mausi.
It’s nice to meet you.
I followed a link from Ms.“American girl in Italy”.
I would like to comment from Japan.

117 kg (wow!) refrigerator looks “pretty sexy”.
When I had read “I wonder if those guys have hernia insurance”, I giggled.
I think Refrigerator that is new and beautiful (and sexy!) makes a delicious ice.
(Don't you think so?)

I always enjoy reading your blog.
(Well, I like puddings, especially rice pudding and pumpkin pudding. Hehe..)
I occasionally would like to comment to your blog.
(However I am poor in English, I’m sorry for wrong expression.)

Sincerely
Nori

 
At March 24, 2006 2:38 PM, Blogger Betty said...

The fridge is beautiful and the ice will be wonderful. I dug my heels in to get one that made ice and cold water even when people thought I was being too demanding and should go cheap!! But that was what I wanted and I love it! About getting it through the doors and hooked up .. this is why we have men around. I must work on my affirmations !

 
At March 24, 2006 4:41 PM, Blogger jen said...

When we built the loft, i insisted on an american sized fridge with a drawer freezer. This puppy is over 200k and one guy humped it on his back up 1 flight of stairs. then he had to walk across a 10 cm board because the granite had just been installed that morning. He was not happy. He had helpers, but i think they were just getting in his way. Its funny how aggravation is pretty much international.

I'm envious of the ice maker. I couldn't get it approved in this building. something about well water etc... and some Amt said no. However, I am the only one of my neighbors with a freezer, believe it or not. I'm always getting requests for ice.

 
At March 24, 2006 5:07 PM, Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I love the fridge! So let us know how that all goes. I'm on my toes wondering if it will work. Why don't they just make doorways easier to get through at times!!!

 
At March 24, 2006 5:47 PM, Blogger traveller one said...

Ooooo.... I feel that green eyed monster on my back! I want one..wahh! (Oh but then I remember-- you need electricity for one of thise!)

 
At March 24, 2006 8:07 PM, Blogger lily b said...

Oooh, I love new appliances and we're due for a new fridge soon. Ours is a family heirloom.

We've had to take the doors off a fridge to get it through a doorway before. It's a pain in the butt, but it works.

Congrats on your beautiful new treasure!

 
At March 24, 2006 8:28 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

So you mean your new fridge still isn't IN the Kitchen?? Well, at least Mr. M. can sort out all of his condiments in that beauty. And an ice machine?! I won't tell a word to OrangeX. He might start harrassing you guys out of jealousy ;-)

 
At March 24, 2006 9:07 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

B-yootiful! Congratulations on the newest member of your family! :D And please, when the new kitchen comes --> pics? Pretty please? I haven't seen a real kitchen since last century.

 
At March 24, 2006 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooo! It's beautiful! So sleak.

My new fridge has an ice maker, but no water supply to it. We need to make a new friend who happens to be a plumber.

Anonymous Wabbit

 
At March 25, 2006 12:48 AM, Blogger Dixie said...

That fridge is gorgeous! Gorgeous! Iffin I come to your house can I have ice in my drink? I never have ice at home because I'm too insanely lazy to make it.

You know I got a new kitchen last year and it was not as bad of an experience as I thought it would be. Having to have it modified to fit in this apartment was worse.

 
At March 25, 2006 2:35 AM, Blogger Windrose said...

Congrats, the fridge is a real beauty! My fridge has an icemaker in the freezer section that works with a little lever, not such a sophisticated thing like yours. Since I don't use ice that much, I turned the lever up one day to stop the ice production, or so I thought. Something must have shifted, the next day when I opened the freezer I had all these ice cubes crashing on the floor. Nice experience, giant hail right in my kitchen.

Good luck with moving your beauty to the spot where you want it. The task sounds daunting.

 
At March 25, 2006 2:49 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

An American-style fridge with icemaker? That's awesome! Fortunately, being a renter means that all the heavy appliances (fridge & oven, washer & dryer) come with the apartment, so this saves me the headache from having to deal with that stuff. But sometimes when I go to Home Depot I really WISH that I could go crazy with a DIY remodeling project or something. Or a gardening project...that would be the best!

 
At March 25, 2006 7:22 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Holy cow - what a fridge/freezer!
Congrats - am sure you'll have fun with it once you get it in the kitchen :-)

 
At March 25, 2006 9:59 AM, Blogger Betsy said...

WOW! Am turning green with appliance envy! Congratulations! I can't even imagine what it might be like to have a fridge with more than 4 shelves! Our current one holds as much as you could fit into a couple of shoeboxes! :-)

 
At March 25, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger Just another American Expat said...

Ya know, somebody reading this post in North America is probably saying, “What’s the big deal.” They’ve never had a mini-fridge, and they’ve never had tell the person in the drive-in window to “please put ice cubes in my Coke”. I have never understood the European adversity to ice.

A fridge with a crushed ice dispenser. I am insanely jealous!

 
At March 25, 2006 12:19 PM, Anonymous Mike B. said...

Three years after pitching in vain to my Partnerin ("We already have perfectly good appliances from my old kitchen," she said) we finally got a nice LG (looks very much like your Daewoo ... alas no ice dispenser because we too could not run the water line). Beauty of it was that it holds twice as much stuff, still makes great ice, and uses less energy in total that the older mini-fridge and mini-freezer, and now we too are the envy of our german friends, who all want what they call an "Ami Fridge." Congrats on the step back towards modernity.

 
At March 25, 2006 5:07 PM, Blogger James said...

Gosh, I miss my fridge back in San Francisco! The one I have now is no bigger than a fridge in any college dorm room in America. I have to go to the grocery store EVERY DAY practically. (sigh)

 
At March 25, 2006 5:39 PM, Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I wanna new fridge that makes crushed ice, too!!!!!

Daewoo is a company...it has a term...it's like this humongous family that just does everything in the business and keep expanding into other markets. I can't remember the term now, it's and economics term....*dang*

Silver-Nano-Tech is just the latest scream in Asia (well, since early last year actually...with a washing machine with the technology to help killing off the germs one accumulates in the clothes during the day).

 
At March 26, 2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

giggles, i have been there before, hehehe
and that is one swanky looking fridge girl!!

 
At March 26, 2006 1:45 PM, Blogger The SeaWitch said...

Congrats on your new side by side fridge! We got ours two years ago and went through the same ordeal. We live on the 6th floor, so the fridge had to go up by electronic ladder through the balcony front doors, through the living room and out the dining room doors to the back balcony. Then we removed the balcony doors in the kitchen to get it inside.
I can tell you that it was definitely worth the trouble for having an ice machine. I use it daily for my coffee frappes and our friends' kids use it for fun because well, you know...it's magic. LOL Now I know what the key lock on the panel is for...to save my floor from becoming a swimming pool of melted ice when the kids can't resist the urge to push the magical ice buttons. hehehe

 
At March 26, 2006 5:42 PM, Blogger lettuce said...

Well heres to team work. Good luck!

Fab fridge. Brits don't really know how to do/about decent fridges.

I'd love such a fridge. If we had room. And if we got a new one, I wouldn't have to clean ours!!! theres a thought

 
At March 26, 2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Oooohhh...pretty!

Now I have refrigerator envy.

I think you did it the right way. I would totally get the fridge first, and then go from there.

So cool.

 
At March 27, 2006 4:35 AM, Blogger Ginnie said...

It IS funny how this is a big deal in Germany! I totally understand, after our college-dorm style fridge in Hannover. So congratulations. You actually held out for much longer than most would have, I'm sure.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright © 2005-2012 by 'Mausi'. All rights reserved. It's not nice to steal.